Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature 503 Delivered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to know from a 253 initial range indicator....and running 128miles @484kWHr/mile....what was you new estimated range? I'm guessing it was not 125miles...can you let me know?
Thanks

If I remember correctly, it was 60 miles.

Keep in mind, it is below freezing in Michigan (and Ohio last Saturday). If you don't plan on driving in temperatures at or below freezing, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, I was unnecessarily burning through electricity driving 75 to 80, and heating the entire car at 75 to 80 degrees (rather than heating only the front and using seat warmers).

What has been your wh/mile experience since delivery?

Last edited:
253mi at 100% is exactly what I get out of my model S P85D. Sounds great [emoji4]
What would sound great to me would be having your Southern California Weather here in Michigan today to make that 253 miles at 100% a reality :smile:

Even with the 22s, the X handles remarkably well in the winter conditions/snow. Wh/mile is as expected (500s wh/mile now, which is literally 10 degrees outside) because it is a much larger car, and if you heat the entire cabin, it uses a lot of juice. My 22s don't help either.

Just a little perspective since most X owners previously or currently own S', I just returned from a test drive with my neighbor, who loves Tesla but never bought an S because he prefers SUVs to sedans. He is switching from an X6 to the X. He can't believe how incredible the X is. It was refreshing to see someone drive and experience a Tesla for the first time. More importantly, it was great to see someone compare the X to another SUV in its class rather than comparing it to an S. He was blown away with the X.

It was refreshing to see someone drive and experience a Tesla for the first time. More importantly, it was great to see someone compare the X to another SUV in its class rather than comparing it to an S. He was blown away with the X.

Thanks for that. It's great to hear that comparison. Really, the only people I've heard who are lukewarm on the MX are existing MS owners. I think that's because the MS is such an amazing automobile, the bar is already very, very high for us.

Hearing about others loving it is always encouraging, though.

If I remember correctly, it was 60 miles.

Keep in mind, it is below freezing in Michigan (and Ohio last Saturday). If you don't plan on driving in temperatures at or below freezing, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, I was unnecessarily burning through electricity driving 75 to 80, and heating the entire car at 75 to 80 degrees (rather than heating only the front and using heat seaters).

What has been your wh/mile experience since delivery?
Heat seaters! Love it. Glad to hear we're not the only ones to call them that! ;-)

Also great to hear some comparisons to other CUV's. Glad your neighbor like the X!

Congrats Joel. As Sig VIN #502 I'm excited to be almost joining you in the ownership department. Can you tell us more about delivery experience? Is there a lot of paperwork? Do you get time to go through the details of the car and make sure your comfortable? Were there others picking up X's while you were there? Thanks for answering and congratulations!

Congrats Joel. As Sig VIN #502 I'm excited to be almost joining you in the ownership department. Can you tell us more about delivery experience? Is there a lot of paperwork? Do you get time to go through the details of the car and make sure your comfortable? Were there others picking up X's while you were there? Thanks for answering and congratulations!

Thank you, Primetime! We are Model X siblings! Well, I suppose all Signature Model Xs are siblings, but you know what I meant being 502/503.

My delivery experience was excellent. There were no balloon drops or large bows (although if you really, really, really want those, your DS would arrange it). I believe the first X deliveries in California received some extra special ceremonial perks (i.e., balloon drops, bows, etc.). I received some Tesla swag, which may not be uniform across all owners, but you will receive a Signature Aerodynamic model (I'll post a picture of it when I return home). The paperwork was minimal, I signed maybe 4 or 5 documents. I paid for my car sometime in December (hoping to expense it in 2015), so that reduced the amount of paperwork.

My DS scheduled a block of time in order to spend as much time as I needed to go through the car. I drove three hours from Metro Detroit to Cleveland, arrived at 9:00 AM on Saturday. So, we were the only owners at the sales/service center. If you currently own a Model S, you won't need that much time because approximately 70% of the X is the same as the Model S, 20% is new (Falcon Wing Doors, Front Doors, etc.), and 10% you'll discover after you drive away. I was the only person picking up my X, but a delivery truck with 5 Xs pulled up, dropped off 2 and 3 were going to the East Coast.

I'd like to reiterate my satisfaction with both the delivery experience and the Model X (fit and finish, Falcon Wing Doors, etc.). There are various threads with early deliveries displaying fit and finish issues (paint, alignment issues) and some with customer service issues (customer service issues are unacceptable). However, this is one of the very few times, I'm glad I do not live in California because it would have potentially pulled my production ahead to make Q4 numbers. I was impatient, and wanted to receive my X the last week of December 2015 for a family trip to northern Michigan (Traverse City area). I'm glad my X came 2 1/2 weeks later, which allowed for several firmware updates. As I noted up thread, my car went to manufacturing several weeks after I was initially told a delivery window. The 4 weeks my car was pushed back in production clearly made a difference for my Model X. This could be an unrepresentative sample size (re: one), but it is a positive data point for those awaiting Signature deliveries or scouring the forums for positive news. If you have not received your Model X yet, it is a positive in terms of build quality. I know it does not feel that way now.

I'm interested to see the build quality for those receiving Xs this week and beyond.

Here is an extensive Model X Delivery Check List: Tesla Model X Checklist - Google Docs

I recommend reviewing it before you go, and edit it to your needs.

Thread: Model X Delivery Checklist

Primetime - Please post your delivery experience at your earliest convenience and congrats on your upcoming delivery.

Each positive experience reported by a new Model X owner is such a relief to us waiting in the wings for our vehicle to go into production. I still really appreciate owners sharing their negative experiences as well as it is better to go into these things with eyes wide open. It's just one has to wonder sometimes if the owners having overwhelmingly positive experiences out there are the quiet majority having too much fun to post. Thanks for adding your data point.

Each positive experience reported by a new Model X owner is such a relief to us waiting in the wings for our vehicle to go into production. I still really appreciate owners sharing their negative experiences as well as it is better to go into these things with eyes wide open. It's just one has to wonder sometimes if the owners having overwhelmingly positive experiences out there are the quiet majority having too much fun to post. Thanks for adding your data point.

I think I am still a couple months out but will be sharing insight going from a Toyota minivan to a Model X, my first Tesla. I'm guessing there will be just a little culture shock.

I think I am still a couple months out but will be sharing insight going from a Toyota minivan to a Model X, my first Tesla. I'm guessing there will be just a little culture shock.
Right there with you, going from a Toyota Highlander Hybrid to the X (My First Tesla). The *only* thing I worry slightly about is the width/length of the X, as it's appreciably larger than our '06 Highlander and we have a very narrow driveway with a building on one side, brick wall on the other. It will fit but it will be tight (looking forward to the automatic retracting side mirrors, proximity sensors and rear camera)! Also, navigating around double-parked cars on city streets is going to be tricky, but I think we'll manage.

Right there with you, going from a Toyota Highlander Hybrid to the X (My First Tesla). The *only* thing I worry slightly about is the width/length of the X, as it's appreciably larger than our '06 Highlander and we have a very narrow driveway with a building on one side, brick wall on the other. It will fit but it will be tight (looking forward to the automatic retracting side mirrors, proximity sensors and rear camera)! Also, navigating around double-parked cars on city streets is going to be tricky, but I think we'll manage.

7.1 with the summon, auto park, and better auto pilot just came out for the Model X. Should be interesting to see how it handles your demanding parking situation.

7.1 with the summon, auto park, and better auto pilot just came out for the Model X. Should be interesting to see how it handles your demanding parking situation.
Yes, I saw that feature and immediately thought of me. :) But what's with the "within 39 feet" requirement? Is that the limit of the Bluetooth communication from fob to car or is it some arbitrary limit set by Tesla for the first version of Summon? I'm looking forward to calling my car from the top of the driveway, but I think it may be past the 39 feet limit...

Yes, I saw that feature and immediately thought of me. :) But what's with the "within 39 feet" requirement? Is that the limit of the Bluetooth communication from fob to car or is it some arbitrary limit set by Tesla for the first version of Summon? I'm looking forward to calling my car from the top of the driveway, but I think it may be past the 39 feet limit...

Might be able to do it in two or more steps. Not ideal, but may eliminate the 'human error' component.

Fwiw, I just drove through Maumee twice this last week (DC to Chicago round trip) and on my P85D I was between 400-450 Wh/mile for significant segments at 70mph. It was the cold; between 6-18 degrees F.

Congratulations! I've seen a black Model X driving around the Southfield area but it looked like a test vehicle. Good to know the Cleveland crew is on point because that's where I'll be picking up my production model vin 807. I have the option to have it delivered. Did they give you that option too with a Signature model? I'll probably fly down to get the whole Tesla experience. Hope to see you on the road!

Congratulations! I've seen a black Model X driving around the Southfield area but it looked like a test vehicle. Good to know the Cleveland crew is on point because that's where I'll be picking up my production model vin 807. I have the option to have it delivered. Did they give you that option too with a Signature model? I'll probably fly down to get the whole Tesla experience. Hope to see you on the road!
Yes, I had the option of delivery. I'm impatient, and wanted to save a day. I chose to pick it up because I have two small kids, which make 300+ mile trips (i.e., micro-road trips) rare occasions (especially driving solo or in this case with my father). If you currently own a Tesla and are comfortable taking delivery without a walk through, it saves 3.00+ Hours of driving (both ways) from Metro Detroit to Cleveland. However, it is great to drive your X, super charge (Maumee) right out of the gate.

Fwiw, I just drove through Maumee twice this last week (DC to Chicago round trip) and on my P85D I was between 400-450 Wh/mile for significant segments at 70mph. It was the cold; between 6-18 degrees F.

That's a good data point(s). My Wh/mile was in line with the P85D, considering the X's weight and heating the larger cabin.

Yes, it will be culture shock! I believe many of these initial Model X reviews lack first time Tesla owners. It appears most of these first Model X deliveries (myself included) are owners who previously own(ed) a Model S. Naturally, these initial delivery reviews compare X to S, which is not entirely fair because they are different cars. In 2012/13, the initial owner response to Model S was universally well received because driving a Model S was unlike any car on the market. Unfortunately, Tesla has created a new started in Model S, and those that currently or previously drive a Model S will compare their X to an S rather than cars in its class (Porsche Cayenne, BMW X6, Audi Q7, etc.). This is unfortunate because comparing X to S loses sight of the fact: it's a Tesla and it drives better than any ICE SUV available today. I'm excited to hear the reviews from Model X owners were the X is their first Tesla, and people (again) will be amazed with how well the X drives, rather than (myself included) taking it for granted (outside of the Model S, of course).

Tonyx - Please post a review when you receive your X.

Same as above. I'm confident you'll be fine. Please post a review when you receive your X.

Last edited: