Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Angst

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

walla2

Jul 15, 2012
I somewhat dislike that my Sig Performance still cost more than a brand new loaded Performance Plus. The free $15 monogrammed bag doesn't seem to narrow that difference much. Lesson learned, don't buy a Sig X or Sig Gen III unless you wish to burn money instead of gas. Maybe the other lesson is defer your regular X until it gets fixed / upgraded, and you can get locked in the lower price point with more features.

[Mod note] This thread was created from posts in the Tesla Performance Plus Package (parking Assist)) thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I somewhat dislike that my Sig Performance still cost more than a brand new loaded Performance Plus. The free $15 monogrammed bag doesn't seem to narrow that difference much. Lesson learned, don't buy a Sig X or Sig Gen III unless you wish to burn money instead of gas. Maybe the other lesson is defer your regular X until it gets fixed / upgraded, and you can get locked in the lower price point with more features.

I totally agree. I love my car but getting a Sig was not good value. I only got my car 60 day prior to my neighbor - got all the bugs - and paid more... No more sig for me unless they fix that and give some free upgrades but I doubt it.

Now I want Perf + and cold weather package and park assist.

I somewhat dislike that my Sig Performance still cost more than a brand new loaded Performance Plus.

Are you sure about that? Here's a loaded Perf Plus without rear facing seats:
Screen shot 2013-04-13 at 9.32.09 PM.png

That's $115,520.00 before rebate. I don't think any Sig Perf got to that level, even when you added in the destination fee.

Not that I'm saying Sig was worth it. It wasn't for Roadster and it didn't seem like it'd be worth it for Model S either. For that matter, the Roadster "Final Five" was also so not worth the added cost.

The reason to get Sig was because you're an Early Adopter (or Innovator, even). See Diffusion of Innovations.

Sorry, you recent posters are correct. I used pre-price increase math as the signature "tax" was more than $6,500. So, I stand corrected but, please recall also that the Sig Performance wasn't loaded. We paid extra for rear seats, pano, HPWC. Those items weren't included. Paint choices were not an option so you can't charge for those either to jack up the price comparison to the $116,720. And the $116,720 includes destination charges that we were charged separately for. I ran it with the new calculator and my exact car today plus the performance package would be: $106,500 + 7,500 = $113,500 delivered. My car was $107, 850 + delivery and inspection = $109,020. The exact difference is $4,480.

So again. I stand corrected due to price formula changes at Tesla, but I still wouldn't recommend a Signature X or Sig Gen III.

So again. I stand corrected due to price formula changes at Tesla, but I still wouldn't recommend a Signature X or Sig Gen III.
This is a key point. Regardless of whether you agree with their reasons or not, I would suspect most of the Sig S owners would not recommend Sig to anyone in the future. That's a horrible result for Tesla to have self-inflicted.

Sorry for continuing the somewhat off-topic. Mods feel free to make a Sig Angst thread and migrate posts accordingly. :)

We paid extra for rear seats, pano, HPWC. = $109,020. The exact difference is $4,480.

I didn't include rear seats, which brings the loaded Perf Plus total to $118,200. I included a multi-touch paint since that's what the Sig has. I believe that's the most comparable to a fully loaded Sig, plus the Perf Package. So a difference of $9,200. Even dropping the Perf Plus package still results in the new car costing more than the Sig.

I still wouldn't recommend a Signature X or Sig Gen III.

Yeah, until Tesla includes something unique and valuable for Signature models, the only reason to get them is impatience.

I think the jury is out on the signature value issue. I upgraded to the Signature model late in the process. So, I don't have much right to complain. However, to those that paid early, there will be additional value to the signature models if they include free or reduced priced upgrades and new features. I think that will make a difference.

I have still not received my Sig...
And the total is now up to $128784 with today's exchange rates.

It will come fully loaded with all that is available :)

This will be the moste expensive car I have ever bought, but at less then half the price of a stripped BMW M5 it's still a good deal...

This is a key point. Regardless of whether you agree with their reasons or not, I would suspect most of the Sig S owners would not recommend Sig to anyone in the future. That's a horrible result for Tesla to have self-inflicted.

Sorry for continuing the somewhat off-topic. Mods feel free to make a Sig Angst thread and migrate posts accordingly. :)

So sad, but true :(

Untill you get invites to the GENIII launch! While us production plebes only get to watch it on the interwebs.

@rlawson4 Agreed. Getting the car early had some value (I'm doing my taxes today and it is nice that I can immediately claim the credit) and the future is unknown. In addition to free or reduced price upgrades, what if Sigs get invited first to events like the Motor Trend party? Or future events that non-Sigs don't? Bottom line, I felt I put my money where my mouth was for Sig, and I at least hold out some hope of future benefit. Even knowing what I know now, I'd still do it, although I can certainly sympathize with those that don't feel that way.

The Signature series was about exclusivity. You paid a premium for a package you could clearly tell by doing the math was not a value proposition. First edition, limited edition. And you can't call getting the first units off the line a drawback when that was exactly what you paid for.

This is all conjecture on my part but does anyone else think it plausible that Tesla did have every intention of equipping the Sigs with unique options, and later after coming up with the options, they decided to sell it to all Model S buyers? For instance do you think air suspension or the performance package could have originally been intended only for Sig models, but then Tesla realized that it makes much more financial sense to sell those options to all Model S buyers?

I would have to say all the Signature angst (as well as the early delivery problems to Hawaii) that built up has subsided. There have been some olive branches (one year of data service, Tesla swag and invitation to Model X announcement), but still nothing substantial has been done for Sig owners. At this point I don't have any expectations. I love the car and so bottom line I'm happy. I just hope I get free rear seat mats and eventually get my rear seats installed.

I have still not received my Sig...
And the total is now up to $128784 with today's exchange rates.
[...] but at less then half the price of a stripped BMW M5 it's still a good deal...

I'll pay $144162 for my (almost) fully loaded Sig Perf+ and delivery is still 3 months away.

The only reason, why I opted for a Sig was, to get it earlier.

And because GB promised Sigs in Europe for "late 2012" that was ok for me, when I made the reservation.

But now, it's almost a year after the first Sigs went to their customers in the U.S. and I'm still waiting. When I signed the pre MVPA in January, I was told, that delivery would be in spring. Now I'm hopping for July.

... It's just frustrating ...

P.S. You can get a (stripped) brand new M5 for about $100000 here in Switzerland, but I'd never go for that. There is just no other car out there, that really compares to the Model S in so many ways.

Last edited:
For me, Signature was all about supporting the company and the technology.
If you are focused on goodies, you should wait for the inclusion of adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, etc.
I chose to lead by example and put my money where my mouth is.
I have no regrets, and am proud to support such a revolutionary company.