Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Angst

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one has specifically mentioned bragging rights. Every sig owner I know tells everyone they were among the first to buy. The better Tesla does, the more brilliant they look.

Can't see why. As one poster so callously mentioned, we got less and paid more. That's something to hang your head in shame over (unless you were just in it to throw tesla extra money as a sign of support).

Can't see why. As one poster so callously mentioned, we got less and paid more. That's something to hang your head in shame over (unless you were just in it to throw tesla extra money as a sign of support).

This is the way it is with virtually all products.
If you bought a 2005 vehicle, I bet a 2013 model has more, costs less, performs better, is safer, or many/all of the above.
If anyone is looking to get more and pay less, time is their friend. If you want it now, want to support the company at a more critical time, want to be an early adopter, etc. Signatures were the way to do it.

Daily Kos: Tesla Model S Has Arrived: You Have a Duty to Buy One (If you can afford)

I'm not the best with words, perhaps the above article puts it better.

To me, Sig was all about supporting the transformation to electrify the automotive industry...this from someone with 21+ years in the energy industry.

That said, a few more perks for my fully loaded Sig would have been nice - I plan to do the perf+ options assuming they are available when I do my 12.5k service in 2 weeks.

I think support for TMC, and electric automobiles in general, was probably the primary motivator for most Signature Series buyers. Being an early adopter has its risks.

I'm kinda conflicted on this. I don't think the Signature was good value for the money... Tesla occasionally implied there'd be more goodies but didn't actually promise and never came through with anything substantial... yet I couldn't bring myself to drop back to Production. I really like the Sig Red, but then I also love the look of white with grey wheels. I'm very happy with the car, and it was pretty awesome being the first to get a Canadian-spec S... but I wouldn't do Signature again in the future.

This is all conjecture on my part but does anyone else think it plausible that Tesla did have every intention of equipping the Sigs with unique options, and later after coming up with the options, they decided to sell it to all Model S buyers? For instance do you think air suspension or the performance package could have originally been intended only for Sig models, but then Tesla realized that it makes much more financial sense to sell those options to all Model S buyers?

I doubt that very much. It doesn't seem reasonable to spend a lot of effort designing a suspension system for only a few thousand cars and then never offering it again. The main value was getting it early, but as it turned out there wasn't much of a delivery time difference between the Sigs and the first production cars. My guess is that the original plan was that Sigs would be six months before the general production (e.g. The Sigs all being shipped during June/July rather than just the first six cars and the production at the November date) which would have been real value.

I suspect that there will be very few takers for any future Signature cars from Tesla unless they can really show some significant extra value.

it was pretty awesome being the first to get a Canadian-spec S... but I wouldn't do Signature again in the future.

I suspect that there will be very few takers for any future Signature cars from Tesla unless they can really show some significant extra value.

This. Which Tesla should be concerned about. As it stands, I still have a sig x reservation, but if the time comes to configure and there is still a sig tax while still limiting our options and sig S's didn't see any additional value (beyond the free year of net and cargo net), then I'll happily drop down at that point to a high XXXX number. I'll pay less, get more options and have a later, better-tested car.

I downgraded my upcoming Model X Sig to a normal production. If it's like my S (Canada) I will get my car about 30-60 days later but will save lots of $ and will be able to choose among all colors.

It's sad Tesla isn't doing more for Sig as we're the best ambassadors.

Put me in the middle. I would do the same Sig buy again, but am not likely to buy a future Sig.

I would do the same one again because there was no Sig tax for me. I qualified for a 10k discount for having a Roadster and a Model S Sig reservation at the right time (limited time offer). My Sig cost me just about exactly what a regular production would have cost with the options I would have purchased, but because it was a Sig there were more options than i would have purchased, I got it early, and I got the color that my wife liked best. We weren't in a hurry for the car (we already had two EVs we really liked) but this worked out really well for us.

I think (though I am guessing) this scheme was a way to extract extra dollars from willing new customers in a hurry AND reward loyal buyers at the same time. If it was intentional (guessing again - I don't think it was their plan when they offered the early discount, but I suspect it is why they ended up pricing the Sig like they did), I think it worked out great; but it won't work again unless they do another discount or get more people in a hurry. Both of which are possible, though neither is guaranteed.

Last edited:
I would do the same one again because there was no Sig tax for me. I qualified for a 10k discount for having a Roadster and a Model S reservation at the right time. My Sig cost me just about exactly what a regular production would have cost with the options I would have purchased, but because it was a Sig I got extra options free, I got it early, and I got the color that my wife liked best.
I'm confused by this. Your use of the term "free" here suggests (to me) that you only qulaified for the 10k discount if you purchased a Sig (SSL) rather than a general production (R). Or am I misunderstanding?

Correct. The discount only applied if you bought a Sig.

First, to be clear this wasn't extended to all Roadster owners - only those that bought before a certain date (maybe Dec 31, 2010?). June, 2011 was too late, for instance.

Also, the way a fellow owner who did qualify for the discount explained it to me, he didn't need to buy a Model S Sig, just a Model S. Of course, he could have been wrong, or I could have gotten it wrong...