Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Blue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
So, Tesla tends to offer Signature Special colors on the first run of their vehicles.
For instance, with Roadster they had "Signature Green" (like a dark Emerald Green).
For Model S, they had "Signature Red" (like a dark Ruby Red).

So what do we think/expect for Model 3 ("AKA Blue Star") ?
I hope they do a Signature Blue that is like a dark Sapphire Blue.

blue1.png

blue2.png

blue3.jpg

blue4.png

blue5.jpg

blue6.png

blue7.png

For Roadster, sig color was offered on like the first ~100 cars. For Model S, sig was was for the first ~1000 cars.
I expect as production scales logarithmically between models so may the signature series.
Maybe sig blue offered for the first 10,000 Model 3 ?

Roadster Signature Green:
green1.png

Model S Signature Red:
red1.png

rgb1.png

. . .
rgb2.png

(I have no idea what they plan for Model X, but it is still a "platform 2" vehicle.)

Last edited:
Despite the fact that the Roadster's signature color was green, for some reason I just assume (despite the fact that we all know what assuming does! :tongue: ) that Sig Red will be the signature color on all future Tesla models. I kind of hope it is, because I think it's gorgeous. I just wish it was multi-coat, if in fact they end up offering it on Model 3.

I think whatever the sig color is for the X will go a long way towards indicating what Tesla's thinking is on this.

I've said it before, by the time Model 3 rolls around, I don't think Tesla will offer a "Signature" model.

What's your reasoning for this? It's an easy way to charge extra for the first production models, it attracts buyers who are emotionally invested in the brand more than usual and who are probably going to be more forgiving of early production issues than general market buyers, and it doesn't cost much.

What's your reasoning for this? It's an easy way to charge extra for the first production models, it attracts buyers who are emotionally invested in the brand more than usual and who are probably going to be more forgiving of early production issues than general market buyers, and it doesn't cost much.

Exactly what Model3 just said:

I What's make sense for a limited sports car (the Roadster) or high-end "premium" cars like TMS/X, does not necessarily make sense for a "mass-marked" car like TM3.

Or IOW: Tesla:"We want to make a low-cost EV for the everyday driver that's accessible to the masses. Lets start out by making a very limited edition that's more expensive and you probably can't get even if you wanted to." It sends the entirely wrong message of elitism and exclusion, which is ok for Model S and X.

A model aimed to compete with the BMW 3 series is not accessible to the masses. I think the Signature series is no different than the M3, and doesn't signal to regular buyers that the Model 3 isn't for them any more than the M3 tells accountants they can't get a 328i.

A model aimed to compete with the BMW 3 series is not accessible to the masses. I think the Signature series is no different than the M3, and doesn't signal to regular buyers that the Model 3 isn't for them any more than the M3 tells accountants they can't get a 328i.

3 series is more of a "peoples car" in some countries outside of the USA. They tend to "option up" the US versions and the BMW name has more cachet here.

UK: BMW 3-series most popular used car - Telegraph

Cars like LEAF, FocusEV, and eGolf are perhaps setting the bar closer for "entry level" but I don't think Tesla is willing to offer a 100 mile range vehicle. Yeah, they will still be a bit up-market, but at least more obtainable for a much larger demographic.

Or IOW: Tesla:"We want to make a low-cost EV for the everyday driver that's accessible to the masses. Lets start out by making a very limited edition that's more expensive and you probably can't get even if you wanted to." It sends the entirely wrong message of elitism and exclusion, which is ok for Model S and X.
Well when you put it that way...

Suddenly I'm in complete agreement. :cool:

I don't see how Tesla would think that a non-affordable elitist version for the first thousand cars is going to convince more middle class americans to go out and buy a Model 3.

But, if they offer the 3 in that incredible blue from the latest X sightings, count me in!