TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Signature color choices & other interesting finishes

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ggr, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

My wife (who is supposedly going to own the Model S Sig) hates the four signature colors. Or, since color science people insist that shades of gray are not colors, there's really only one color. I inquired about paying for a custom color, and was told that the automation won't allow for it. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the non-sig colors on a Sig, without downgrading and losing the place in line? I forgot to ask. What about getting a different and unique color after it is delivered, does anyone know about cost or problems with doing that? I was once told that it was a bad idea, but can't remember the reasoning.

George, if you're listening, there's a strong groundswell of people who like blue, according to my sales contact.

2. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

There have been many posts on the restricted Sig color palette. As of today, if you want a color (or pigment) other than those offered, you have to downgrade.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

As for post-delivery, a vinyl wrap can be a great alternative

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

4. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

#4 Trnsl8r, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    Sorry to state the obvious, but I'm sure there are many companies around at would love to take your money for repainting the car...

Edit: or vinyl wrap... Couldn't remember the word for it and outsider beat me to it....

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

My wife's hooked on the Signature Red, so maybe I'm lucky. Having driven a Roadster for 8 months now I can tell you that 99% of the comments, amazement, staring and photos have been about it being a very cool EV and nothing to do with the color. I fully expect the same reaction with the Model S, at least until it becomes everyday common to see one!. :wink:

6. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

My dad, who is also a Sig reservation holder, has asked Tesla about the possibility of having his car in either the green or blue. The email reply was very polite, but made it very clear that other colors were not an option. I'm sure that there are production limitations involved. The multi-coat colors may require a separate paint "booth" for each coat; stopping the Signature Red production might free up several booths.

If you can afford a Signature Model S, you can probably afford to have it repainted after the fact. Whether or not you should have to do so in order to get the color you want is a whole other can of worms. All I will say is that, in 10 years, I expect that Tesla will be able to deliver a car in almost any color you'd like, but for now they've got their hands full just getting the Model S out the door.

If you are going to repaint, keep that in mind when you pick out your interior colors.

7. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

In my opinion, if you want a color other than the four Sig colors, then that's an excellent reason for downgrading to a general production car. True, you'll have to wait a few extra months for the car, but you'll get the color you want *and* you'll save a few thousand bucks in the process!

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

And if you know the person at the top of the waiting list, he/she might be willing to convince you with cash. :p

9. Laurent

Laurent Member

#9 Laurent, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    I don't think I've ever seen a vinyl wrap in person. Isn't it obvious that it's not real paint? If it looks good, I might consider doing a blue metallic paint wrap (if that exists).

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Spotted this vinyl wrapped Nissan GT-R in my wife's company lot this morning:

vinylwrap.jpg

Not sure if the photo does justice, but, it looked pretty slick!

11. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

#11 jcstp, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  12. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

#12 jcstp, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

an other blue one

i guess 100's of colors possible!

13. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Does anyone know if wrapping causes any damage to the paint underneath or if removal can cause damage ?

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Part of me cringes at the idea of wrapping, but a practical part of me says that this is very sensible in avoiding paint chips, door dings, etc.

15. Kevin Harney

Exactly my thought or even cover up chips that you might already have....

16. gg_got_a_tesla

17. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

They use transparant vinyl wraps on off-road cars to protect the paint!

Vinyl is very easy to remove without hurting underlying paints

I am no expert, but a company that installs publicity on cars usualy wraps too, they will give info with no problem I guess

Saw a thread of an owner of a bmw once, and after he removed his vinyl, that he installed himself, discovered an immaculate paint under it!

18. gg_got_a_tesla

Probably this one? Am playing TEG's role here and Googling away to glory! :smile:

19. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

If you're taking a long road trip and want to protect your leading paint surfaces, Griot's offers a nifty idea:

Surface Protection Film Roll

77898?$detail$.jpg

20. Kevin Harney

I was wondering if Clear Bra was actually a form of vinyl wrap as well ? I guess so....