Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Glass Tinting Costa Mesa California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to check in and get some feedback from So. Cal. folks who have gotten tint from Signature Glass Tinting in Costa Mesa.

Wanting feedback because this is the only shop that advocates only tinting the front two side windows plus windshield, and the roof, but disregard the four rear side windows and the back window, since it already comes colored from factory.

All other local tint shops quote tinting all side plus back windows as standard, with windshield and roof as optional.

In my limited experience driving my new MY around for a couple of weeks in 80+ heat, I definitely feel heat and glare coming from the front windshield and front side window. I guess I should try sitting in the back on a hot day and see how much heat is coming through the side windows. I do feel some heat coming from top roof but it doesn't bother me as much as the glare from the sun, so I was planning on spending $50 on two-piece sunshades...

Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks!

Just wanted to check in and get some feedback from So. Cal. folks who have gotten tint from Signature Glass Tinting in Costa Mesa.

Wanting feedback because this is the only shop that advocates only tinting the front two side windows plus windshield, and the roof, but disregard the four rear side windows and the back window, since it already comes colored from factory.

All other local tint shops quote tinting all side plus back windows as standard, with windshield and roof as optional.

In my limited experience driving my new MY around for a couple of weeks in 80+ heat, I definitely feel heat and glare coming from the front windshield and front side window. I guess I should try sitting in the back on a hot day and see how much heat is coming through the side windows. I do feel some heat coming from top roof but it doesn't bother me as much as the glare from the sun, so I was planning on spending $50 on two-piece sunshades...

Hey @PeteOC! I actually got my MYP tinted there the day I picked it up. I got all four sides and the rear tinted. The front two I got tinted with CTX and the rear two and hatch I got Air80 tint. When I asked about pricing, he did list that a lot of Y's got their front two and the windshield. He also gave me quotes for every option. He was cool with what I wanted. I originally was going to go with CTX on all windows but decided to switch the rears and hatch to the Air80 since it was much lighter than the CTX he had available (didn't want my rear windows and hatch to get darker). He did say that I'll probably come back to get the windshield and roof tinted as well since I will feel the heat (majority coming from the windshield), but didn't pressure me into getting anything I didn't want. I'm definitely going to go back to get my front windshield done. Decided to get a sunshade for the roof. While waiting, 3-4 other customers came in to get their windshields done. Dave was really cool during the whole process and we chatted quite a bit while I waited.

On a random side note, not even a week of ownership and someone has already dinged my rear driver side door.... It's small but I know it's there... Sentry Mode didn't catch it...

Reactions: PeteOC
Same as @t1m1t, when I was looking to have my Model Y tinted (April 2021), Signature gave me a quote for the front and back windows, as well as the windshield and glass roof. In my case, they never said anything about not tinting the back windows or hatch.

I had my prior car tinted at Signature as well, and did not have any issues. However, this time around, I got my Y tinted at Rodz in Fountain Valley, as my sister had her Model 3 tinted there (on the recommendation of a few other Tesla owners), and also because they loaned me their vehicle for the day (since the job took all day, and I could not be without a car). Rodz was also slightly less expensive than Signature - about $150.

EDIT: While Signature was slightly more expensive than Rodz, Signature has a No Fault warranty, where it will replace your tint if your window gets broken. When I spoke to Signature in 2021, they confirmed the No Fault warranty only applied to the side windows, and presumably the rear hatch, i.e., it does not apply to the windshield or glass roof.

Last edited:
Hey @PeteOC! I actually got my MYP tinted there the day I picked it up. I got all four sides and the rear tinted. The front two I got tinted with CTX and the rear two and hatch I got Air80 tint. When I asked about pricing, he did list that a lot of Y's got their front two and the windshield. He also gave me quotes for every option. He was cool with what I wanted. I originally was going to go with CTX on all windows but decided to switch the rears and hatch to the Air80 since it was much lighter than the CTX he had available (didn't want my rear windows and hatch to get darker). He did say that I'll probably come back to get the windshield and roof tinted as well since I will feel the heat (majority coming from the windshield), but didn't pressure me into getting anything I didn't want. I'm definitely going to go back to get my front windshield done. Decided to get a sunshade for the roof. While waiting, 3-4 other customers came in to get their windshields done. Dave was really cool during the whole process and we chatted quite a bit while I waited.

On a random side note, not even a week of ownership and someone has already dinged my rear driver side door.... It's small but I know it's there... Sentry Mode didn't catch it...
Was hoping you’d chime in since I remember you went there. I was just hesitant because I’ve not heard of any tint shop advocating NOT to tint the rear windows as those are only colored and really don’t have adequate IR rejection properties (and questionable UV rejection properties). I also got pricing for every conceivable scenario so I’ll be considering it carefully. Very sorry to hear about the door ding; I know that would drive me nuts so if I’m out I’d purposely park farther away or park next to another Tesla. That sucks big time though.
Same as @t1m1t, when I was looking to have my Model Y tinted (April 2021), Signature gave me a quote for the front and back windows, as well as the windshield and glass roof. In my case, they never said anything about not tinting the back windows or hatch.

I had my prior car tinted at Signature as well, and did not have any issues. However, this time around, I got my Y tinted at Rodz in Fountain Valley, as my sister had her Model 3 tinted there (on the recommendation of a few other Tesla owners), and also because they loaned me their vehicle for the day (since the job took all day, and I could not be without a car). Rodz was also slightly less expensive than Signature - about $150.

EDIT: While Signature was slightly more expensive than Rodz, Signature has a No Fault warranty, where it will replace your tint if your window gets broken. When I spoke to Signature in 2021, they confirmed the No Fault warranty only applied to the side windows, and presumably the rear hatch, i.e., it does not apply to the windshield or glass roof.
Thanks much for the feedback! I’ve also thought about Rodz and it is good to know they’re cheaper. It is interesting that Signature came back today telling me to stick with Llumar products because they’re starting to get a lot of jobs fixing other brands’ products after 3 or 4 years, that were installed by another business, but they won’t disclose which one. Still undecided about that.

Reactions: theocguy and t1m1t
Do

Do you mind to PM me the price they quoted you?

I got my MYP done at Signature Tinting as well. I came in knowing that I wanted the windshield and the all the other windows done with CTX (except the roof). They helped me adjust the tint level to match the desired darkness all around since the factory rear passenger windows were dyed (not tinted) from factory. What I liked was that they did not pressure me to get the roof done, in fact they said that I should only get the panoramic roof done if I still significant heat after the rest of the car was tinted. Most of the other places I called basically told me I had to get the roof done or that I was stupid for not getting it done, despite numerous videos showing Model 3/Y panoramic glass already reject 95-99% of solar energy (
).

I ended up with windshield (Air 80), front side windows (CTX 40%), and rears including hatch (CTX 15%) for $800 taxes included. Very happy with the result since there was significant heat coming from the windshield and front side windows when driving, but now much less noticeable with CTX. I ended up getting a $50 2-piece sunshades for the roof which helped much more with the heat since it's mainly the glass that heats up (won't matter even if you tint).

Did four cars with them. All came out great. I did my MS. Great service, no pressure sales. Only gripe was they were a bit far for me to get to. But the day I drove the MS off the Costa Mesa delivery lot, I drove directly to them.

I got my MYP done at Signature Tinting as well. I came in knowing that I wanted the windshield and the all the other windows done with CTX (except the roof). They helped me adjust the tint level to match the desired darkness all around since the factory rear passenger windows were dyed (not tinted) from factory. What I liked was that they did not pressure me to get the roof done, in fact they said that I should only get the panoramic roof done if I still significant heat after the rest of the car was tinted. Most of the other places I called basically told me I had to get the roof done or that I was stupid for not getting it done, despite numerous videos showing Model 3/Y panoramic glass already reject 95-99% of solar energy (
).

I ended up with windshield (Air 80), front side windows (CTX 40%), and rears including hatch (CTX 15%) for $800 taxes included. Very happy with the result since there was significant heat coming from the windshield and front side windows when driving, but now much less noticeable with CTX. I ended up getting a $50 2-piece sunshades for the roof which helped much more with the heat since it's mainly the glass that heats up (won't matter even if you tint).
Much appreciate your feedback.
Did four cars with them. All came out great. I did my MS. Great service, no pressure sales. Only gripe was they were a bit far for me to get to. But the day I drove the MS off the Costa Mesa delivery lot, I drove directly to them.
Much appreciated!

I inquired with Signature and Rodz. Both didn't recommend anything other than provided me quotes I asked for. Rodz was a little cheaper than Signature. My BMW prior to my MY done by them and had no issues. They just have so many customers so wait time can take awhile or you have to book an appointment to a later date/time. I actually decided to go with Tint Crew in Buena Park since my detail guy recommended them. I actually only got my two front windows tinted since I usually don't have many people ride in my car. I got 15% in the front (LLumar Ceramic) which was closest to match the factory rears (23%) and only paid $150. I was in and out within 45-60 mins. I would say you can't go wrong with any of the shops listed because all are reputable.

I inquired with Signature and Rodz. Both didn't recommend anything other than provided me quotes I asked for. Rodz was a little cheaper than Signature. My BMW prior to my MY done by them and had no issues. They just have so many customers so wait time can take awhile or you have to book an appointment to a later date/time. I actually decided to go with Tint Crew in Buena Park since my detail guy recommended them. I actually only got my two front windows tinted since I usually don't have many people ride in my car. I got 15% in the front (LLumar Ceramic) which was closest to match the factory rears (23%) and only paid $150. I was in and out within 45-60 mins. I would say you can't go wrong with any of the shops listed because all are reputable.
Thanks for the feedback! I think at the minimum I will get the front two windows plus windshield tinted.

Reactions: t1m1t and chump408
Just trash.

I took 2 separate Teslas in for all around window tinting (Sides, roof and rear, front windshield. every single window). Communication, pick up, and payment are all super easy, they will work with you to make things easy. The tint is looking good, other than a small bubble. (no big deal)

The issue is, they damaged the interior of both cars. They use excessive liquid solution and don't have a process to prevent the liquids from spreading. No rope towels used (or maybe don't care, who knows).

I spoke to David over the phone and he apologized and said he would reimburse me. The strange part is he knew about he damage before I mentioned it. He said it's a common problem with Teslas, and that he now has a waiver in place for people to sign (as if this is going to fix the issue). The reimbuement never happened, I sent him the Tesla invoice but David just ignored me.

I scheduled Tesla to come out and fix the cars. The technician knew right away that the it was water damage from the tint process and would not cover it under warranty. $600 per car to fix, and dealing with scheduling.

Since then I've been using Image Auto Detailing in Brea. Try them instead.

Reactions: chump408
I had a similar experience with my MYP. Only 20 miles on the ODO. Got the all windows tinted

15 minutes after pickup I noticed a 2 bubble in the drivers side window. The bubbles had visible lint trapped inside. I took pics, and they asked me to come back, but it was after 5pm, so I said i'll come back Monday as I work 1..5 hours away.

I take it back, and I had mentioned to them there's dirt stuck in the windshield.. in direct line of sight of my vision. The owner was on the phone and was really cocky saying "we do thousands of teslas every month, and your issue is normal." Sorry, normal for dirt to be embedded between the tint and the glass? yeah sure. He then proceeds to say that they will REMOVE it, BUT will not guarantee it will be as clean of an install since there will be leftover residue. I told him I was there to get warranty on my window for the bubbles and his son said it's not a problem. But for the windshield it will be?

Son gives me back my car, and says " do you know know why it had bubbles? because you rolled down the window.." I responded to him, "im not dumb to roll down my window after a window tint. I came back because there was lint in between the glass and it formed 2 bubbles" .... and I proceeded to show him pictures from my phone..

If i had to do it all over again, I would go to Rodz tint instead. Much nicer, not as cocky.

I do NOT recommend them to touch my car anymore. Waste of $1400

forgot to mention, they left spray residue alll over the car.. You can see the drip marks on every damn panel, and scuffed up my door sills. Very disappointing

this was a brand new car with only 20 miles. And they scuffed up my door sills. It looks like I had the car for 2 years. yes it was THAT bad

That's so weird for that to happen to you. I got my Y tinted there and two friends got their eGolf and S tinted there not too long ago. All three were the complete opposite experience from what you described. I decided to stay there while my Y was being tinted and I honestly had one of the best conversations with a business owner for the 2 hours I was there. He offered a lower price than what I would normally pay for with a different tint set up since it was a quick change of mind with going with Air80 instead of CTX on the rear windows. I'd reach back and see if they could do something to try to help out if you haven't.

Hi,
I refuse to support any business that tries to blame the consumer for their mistakes. The owner pulled out every excuse in the book to try to avoid re-doing the front windshield... including "we might break the front windshield, and if we do, we will pay but you'll be out of a driveable car for months due to parts being backordered."

Honestly though, who says that to a customer? From his ego being the "best" to doing " thousands of cars monthly," and never running into any problems with their installs. There were no apologies, just condescending remarks and belittling. Also his son blaming me for having 2 lint bubbles in the driver window? Horrible. They are super nice trying to get your money.... but if there's any issues, it is your fault..

I would never recommend them.... and I will be sure to mention it to my friends who only drive higher end cars. They need to be humble and treat customers with respect.