TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Signature Model X - Am I Paying More?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by JazzedT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. JazzedT

JazzedT New Member

I'm sorry, but I keep getting conflicting answers on this question.
    If I put my deposit down for the Signature X, would my final sales price for the Signature X be more (ie. a premium) than that of an identical Production X (assuming I don't choose options specific to the Signature edition)?

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If you replace "X" with "S", the answer is "yes, it cost more for equivalently configured".

For X, we don't know yet if Tesla will do similarly or not.

3. JazzedT

JazzedT New Member

I just got this reply on the Tesla site:

"sergiyz | October 3, 2013 new

Not necessarily.

Judging from what they did with Sig S, they've converted all the
    standard options Signature came with to extra options on production
    models over time.

The price for Sig S P85 matches what they have now for P85.

Initial batch of P85s was cheaper comparing to Signature, but not anymore."

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That's a bit misleading.
    Every 2012 non-Signature was cheaper that equivalently configured Signature vehicles.
    Comparing with 2013+ models is, well, apples and oranges.
    At least for U.S. market (and maybe Canada, but I can't recall the timeline as well for Canada's sigs).

That said, they might carry this forward through to initial X pricing right out of the gate. The information isn't public yet either way though.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

brianman is correct. Don't listen to those who try to compare the price of a sig to today's values, since the core issue is that, at the time, a signature car was more expensive than an equivalent production car.

6. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

My assumption is for a signature you are paying a bit of a premium for the timing of when you get it.

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Except that the Sig Model Ss didn't arrive that much sooner than the production vehicles.

8. Zextraterrestrial

or an equivalent Performance production car :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I think mine was mixed in before some Sigs...

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

And in some cases, AFTER (even though the original promise was that it wouldn't happen).

Case in point. I think mine came about 5 days after Z's

There's a number of threads on it, but I'd suggest the signature angst threads for some background on what you MAY be in for with a sig tesla.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You are definitely paying more. The Model X launch is happening under very different financial and staffing circumstances than the Model S though. They may choose to handle things differently but who knows. Count on front of the line and maybe Sig Red paint but not much else.

11. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

One wonders if Tesla after seeing many of the concerns raised by Sig model S buyers on the forum will make any changes to make a Sig Model X purchase worthwhile.
    Hopefully positive cash flow results in an extra feature or two.

12. blakegallagher

I think in 20 years the sigs will catch a lot more at auction then the production series but this is hard to test :)

13. sub

sub Member

What is the reservation cost of a Sig X? I think it was 40k for an S? The opportunity cost of the money alone makes the signature more expensive.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Still 40

15. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

At the shareholder meeting ( a few months ago) someone made this point. He was a Signature Model X reservation holder ($40,000) and made the point that if he had just invested that same money in Tesla stock at the same time (2012) then he would have enough gains to purchase a full Model X with a lot of money leftover.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm hesitant to reopen old wounds but perhaps someone has done the math.

1. Take the date that Sig Model S was offered.
    2. Invest in TSLA instead.
    3. Cash in on the stock when Sig #1 was asked to finalize.
    How many (say 120k) Signature Model S vehicles could one have purchased with the value of the stock @ #3?

17. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Like everybody else, I have no actual information for the X.

My working assumption as a Sig X holder is that we'll end up paying about as much more for the Sig X over Prod X, as the Sig S holders paid for their cars (over Prod S). I believe that was around $7k? I would love to be pleasantly surprised of course, but I prefer making a pessimistic assumption and being sure that I can live with it if I'm proven right, than making an optimistic assumption and starting life with Model X with a bad taste in my mouth. That's how I'm handling the uncertainty :)

Plus they told me when I put down the Sig deposit - if I change my mind later, then I would be dropped into the production queue at approximately the correct production number if I'd made a production reservation that day. At least in my case, I know that I was assigned both a production and a signature number (production number assigned first, and then upgraded to signature a day or 2 later). So if the "Sig Tax" gets too rich, or the mix of options isn't what I'm looking for or want to live with, then I'll fall back into the production queue.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

$3,550 for non-Perf
    $5,050 for Perf

Not that I remember, or anything. ;)

19. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

#19 Discoducky, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    and I'm still hovering over the Sig button for the X

Stock didn't start going crazy up until after Sig #1 finalized. The bigger question is those that didn't pay cash for the car instead of using penfed.org ;)

20. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

All the talk does have me considering dropping from sig and investing the 35k in savings in the stock.