Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Model X MCU2 Upgrade issues 5/2/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paid for my upgrade to MCU2 this morning and went to pick her up at Tesla Fremont service. MCU and Radio upgrade. Cool, let's do this, and fix that broken glove-box ($351). Nevermind the glass weather stripping for now. ($1100 for the other side)

Picked up the car this morning, paid my ransom $2.5k and started to drive off. Ok, I understand needed to reset settings. But where's my FM/XM radio? Ok, let's toggle those icons. Nope, not there. WTF? $500 and not present. Use Tune-In & BT? Uhh no, I paid $500 make it work.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I pitched a fit, ok ok, walked back form the cliff. Rolled her right back in, and they took a look. Some issue with maybe FW and ethernet coms to the radio unit. Might require a FW upgrade to fix, but later this week because they are running it up the chain to see if Sig Model X can accept the MCU2 and radio upgrade. I don't see why not, everything else works.

Oh wait, now the Tire pressure alarm light is on. Ok, Ok, I'll chalk this one up to the new MCU and probably need a new control module for the TPMS system.

Ah early adopter status keeping this rolling never should have been built car on the road. Ohh and she's a P90DL, still drives as fast as day one even if the battery is now only around 205mile range with 71% supercharging (it's our long distance family car) Labor of love

Will keep every Signature Model X owner posted on this thread with a followup.

Update #1. Mobile access totally borked now too. Shows the car, says it unlocks, responds as if its talking to the old MCU sitting on a Bench somehwere. Seriously Poor quality control and rollout in Tesla. not supposed to make a car perform worse after a $2000 upgrade. Way to go. Any other car companies you upgrade a feature and the car gets worse?

I had the MCU upgrade on my Signature P90DL and when I left I was not able to unlock the car with my phone or use remote start from the phone app. Turned out they needed to transfer the key creds to the new MCU in order for that portion to work again. Local service center guys weren't aware of how to fix the issue but they went up the chain to the engineers who provided the fix I believe. Hopefully everything else gets worked out for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I had the MCU upgrade on my Signature P90DL and when I left I was not able to unlock the car with my phone or use remote start from the phone app. Turned out they needed to transfer the key creds to the new MCU in order for that portion to work again. Local service center guys weren't aware of how to fix the issue but they went up the chain to the engineers who provided the fix I believe. Hopefully everything else gets worked out for you.
Thanks JCarlson88, I have been in comms with Tesla service regarding this but they closed my ticket yesterday. So I have a 5/24 appointment and will bring up the pairing needed to keys and/or just new keys, at this point screw it thats fine. Now then the only remaining WTF issues are why all of a sudden TPMS error. My guess incompatible module due to Sig HW. Then they just messed up the raido upgrade. I see the Radio icon now thanks to OTa update, but can't tune a single station and XM is no where to be found. Otherwise MCU2 on Sig MX is worth the upgrade to get media functiion (haven't tested videos yet) and just better screen and responsive controls. Now about those Falcon doors deteriorating trim.....ahh nevermind

Trying to sort out if they screwed up another part of my service. Had the MCU upgrade done, I had taken a picture of the XM radio ID prior just in case I lost access to that screen (expected to if there's no tuner) yet after the upgrade, I can see all the channels / favorites and the radio ID, but there is just no sound.

What gives? Did they do the upgrade and somehow half-break the XM or is this how it usually is? Why not offer the option of streaming XM or spotify over the cellular - because there's no "streaming" service named, just the one with the tesla news channel... What service is that using? Can we not use ANYTHING else?

The energy screen also seems to only record power INTO the battery from regenerative braking, not power out from driving - so I have no idea how the economy is faring now. I feel like they managed to screw this up, just looking for comparison with others.

I did manage to resolve the energy screen and the trip indicators with a forced reboot of the MCU, at least that wasn't a blown fuse issue. I'll still look though b/c several people have commented about how the car is riding low on the suspension (yes it is!) although the suspension does still work. But it seems that the calibration is shot, possibly from the MCU replacement, or maybe b/c they didn't put it in jack mode when taking all the wheels off for the TPMS upgrade (forcing my purchase of $400 in duplicate sensors I didn't need) at the same time as the MCU upgrade.

Something like this happened on my Sig X MCU2 upgrade. I was able to resolve it with a phone call to a live person who did something over the air. But yeah, definitely wasn't 100% ready when they returned the car to me.