Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature or Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the first question to be answered is 'will there even be a Signature series?'.

Personally, I'm hoping the first run will be opened first to Tesla employees, since they've been building cars largely unavailable to them. A Signature series might not be indicated for Model 3, since it seems counterintuitive to 'mass market'.

Personally, I'm hoping the first run will be opened first to Tesla employees, since they've been building cars largely unavailable to them. A Signature series might not be indicated for Model 3, since it seems counterintuitive to 'mass market'.
That would be really cool if Tesla gave some of its employees "early access" to getting a 3. Maybe for those who have been with the company for a certain number of years (excluding high level management who can afford an S or X), as a reward for their service.
And I agree that there may not be a "Signature Series" Model 3. I really see no reason for it, and in fact it has some unwanted consequences. The 3 needs to be presented to the public as a car for the average income person (in the developed world, at least) and should not have anything "exclusive" associated with it, beyond of course the fact that the car is a Tesla, a brand that I think has a positive image for many.
I hope that when Tesla starts taking reservations for the 3 that the company has arrived at a financial position where it does not need to restrict initial production to heavily optioned cars (at higher margins) but that it will accept reservations for base cars with no options. That would also have the effect of reducing the likelihood of initial media reports and reviews quoting a price for the car that is a highly optioned price, which we have often seen in the case of the S and X.

I think your idea @ Bonnie, of offering Tesla employees the option of being first in line is an excellent idea. The only reason I asked the question above was to get to the front of the line in a timely manner. Up to now, ordering a Sig was the best way to do that.

I completely agree, Bonnie, that would be an awesome thing to do.
But based on the advantages of the Sig program (basically free loan of capital, lots of free publicity, ability to front load production with high sticker price cars that go to highly motivated buyers that are more likely to overlook small issues), I think there's a good chance that they'll do a Sig program again.

(but then, when have I /ever/ correctly predicted what Tesla will do... :) )

I think the first question to be answered is 'will there even be a Signature series?'.

Bonnie, definitely agree. Also glad to see you roaming other threads besides all things Model X:smile:

But based on the advantages of the Sig program (basically free loan of capital, lots of free publicity, ability to front load production with high sticker price cars that go to highly motivated buyers that are more likely to overlook small issues), I think there's a good chance that they'll do a Sig program again.

Employees would also be highly motivated to be understanding of early production issues ... would be a win for them to get the first cars for all sorts of reasons.

I'd really like to see them be the first recipients of Model 3. They've earned it.

- - - Updated - - -

Bonnie, definitely agree. Also glad to see you roaming other threads besides all things Model X:smile:

Hey! I roam Roadster threads, too. And autopilot. And when moderating, was in Model S hell. :)

I agree that giving employees first crack at the model 3 would be an awesome thing to do for both Tesla and their employees, and that a Signature series seems contrary to their supposed goals for this model. Given how most coverage of the 3 has been highly skeptical of the promised base price, to put a more-expensive Sig at the head of the line would be inviting a huge chorus of "I told you so". They would get a much more positive reaction from all corners if they made the base model available immediately. Few people buy bone-stock base models anyway so they won't have to make all that many. I very much hope that they produce this model more-or-less in the order in which they were reserved. If they make a Sig at all, it should be done after regular production has begun.

I agree that giving employees first crack at the model 3 would be an awesome thing to do for both Tesla and their employees...
It's a nice idea. However, if we're near the edge where the $7,500 credit begins to diminish, it would be uncertain PR for Tesla to give the advantage to their employees. Lots to play out on when they are near car 200,000 in the US, just something to consider as they decide over the next several months how to open reservation (and when - Late March after reveal or later?)

I like Bonnie's idea a lot. If l may up the ante, let's buy one & give it to a Fremont factory employee! $100 apiece, we could get more than one. Yes, I am already considering the problems, but we COULD do it (& have some time to figure it out :rolleyes: Right dirk?!) Raffle, random, qualifying need? I don't know, but it seems like a very cool thing to do & I'll be all in if you guys want. No direct Tesla involvement, "customers buy a car in appreciation"

add: no, I have not been drinking, very much

It's a nice idea. However, if we're near the edge where the $7,500 credit begins to diminish, it would be uncertain PR for Tesla to give the advantage to their employees. Lots to play out on when they are near car 200,000 in the US, just something to consider as they decide over the next several months how to open reservation (and when - Late March after reveal or later?)

Personally, I'd rather see hourly Tesla employees get the tax credit vs. high income 'Signature' existing Tesla owners get first crack at a Model 3. I think the PR value would be much higher in the former case. It would be easy enough to get a few stories out there of a Tesla employee, having moved here from Detroit (or re-employed NUMMI) being able to finally buy the product they've believed in for several years.

I'd LOVE that story. And I think the Tesla employees deserve the first cars, irregardless of any PR.

- - - Updated - - -

And what better PR for a company than employees endorsing the company's product with their dollars?

Personally, I'd rather see hourly Tesla employees get the tax credit vs. high income 'Signature' existing Tesla owners get first crack at a Model 3. I think the PR value would be much higher in the former case. It would be easy enough to get a few stories out there of a Tesla employee, having moved here from Detroit (or re-employed NUMMI) being able to finally buy the product they've believed in for several years.

I'd LOVE that story. And I think the Tesla employees deserve the first cars, irregardless of any PR.

- - - Updated - - -

And what better PR for a company than employees endorsing the company's product with their dollars?

I like this suggestion a lot....
Then instead of the "signature" or founder series we would see "Builder" series :D

The number sold in that series would only make a small dent in the 200K tax credit limit. I have no doubt that Tesla will be the first to hit that limit anyway.

Extend the founder series out for employees longer than ... 3 years? (Maybe 2 at time of reveal event) Then go Sig series like usual.

I say this as somebody keeping an eye out for the reveal event invites so I can pull a Bonnie and be somewhere close to the front of the line. If that line is production series, that works for me too.

Agree, and fantastic idea! I'm sure employees have their own preferences, but for those that want to get one, this would be a great option. They would get first dibs (I think including all the employees of high salary that can already afford one of the current models).

This is my thinking, too - a Signature series makes good financial sense for Tesla, and offering the employees an early crack also seems like a wise idea. Tesla could offer employees Signature cars, or something along the lines of Founder cars - a separate pre-Signature group open only to Tesla employees.
Walter