Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SIGNATURE RED X LUDICROUS - Classic car in future?

Will the Signature X Models gain value in the distant future as classic cars?

• Yes

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • Ditch it immediately for upgrades and FSD!

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

traxila

Supporting Member
Nov 25, 2012
NYC
Have in been having a hard time making a decision regarding our Signature X and its potential future value.

To contrast, I am very happy with the decision I made to trade in my 2013 Model S for my 2018 Model 3. It was spectacular upgrade which speaks volumes to the pace of innovation that Tesla is moving at, although the 2013 did have some notable issues for its time, most of all its lack of AWD. The Model 3 is first in its price class by any measurement, IMO.

When we first got our 2016 Signature Red Ludicrous it was the best car on the road, with an AP that was unmatched in any production car. It is still awesome. BUT, the AP will never get better and cannot become FSD on any level. The range is nowhere near what we can purchase now. And there have been numerous other improvements that I cannot keep track of. From this perspective it is easy to see why we would trade in or upgrade.

Except...fast forward ten years to where Tesla is (at least IMO). in 2030, Tesla makes the best BEVs and is a dominant and global large OEM. Its cars are lauded the world over. The company is universally acknowledged as a disruptor par excellence for having brought the ICE era to its knees and demise almost single handedly and led the way to the current BEV and renewable present. And the very first models...begin to appreciate as the classics that they are.

My Model S was one of the first 10,000. But it was not a Sig and I feel I made the right choice. The Sig X OTOH, is not a founder's edition but still classifies as the very first edition of the X. It is loaded and in its original condition (the car was wrapped on arrival and has low mileage).

Will this car be in demand as a classic and as such worth keeping? I do have the option of mothballing it when I pick up my Y. Have I lost track of reality and need to come to terms with the fact that these cars age fast, and no one will ever want yesterday's technology? Haven't I figured out that this will only apply to certain early Roadsters and Model S's?

All comments, opinions and votes are appreciated!

I had a Signature S85 (VIN 0009xx) and truly LOVED that color, also had the white perforated seats (rare). However I am a tech guy and when AP2 was released (with FSD promised "soon") I decided to trade it in for a late 2016 S90D/AP2.

Both cars have their appeal (of course!) and its a tough choice, because we know even better new features/hardware are always just around the corner....

Best strategy is to enjoy what you have. Until you give in to the new goodies! Then enjoy that until its time to update again!!! At least that the advise I give myself......

• Helpful
Reactions: njxman and traxila
There are a whole lotta folks out there who dumped old cars only to be astonished when they found out those old crates could be worth a hundred grand if restored. It's tough game, predicting what will be a classic at some far-distant point. Who knows? Maybe just park it, drive it occasionally, and keep it pristine. Take a look at the market once per decade. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: traxila
The way my children abuse #725, I doubt it’ll survive. That and build quality too will likely kill it. But for now since the battery and DU are doing well, minor fixes here and there.

classic? Sure AP1, ludicrous, perf heated/cooled seats. Sig Badging and likely a new MCU in a few years.

It’s out of warranty so now basically a lot car that Tesla will still service when needed

so yeah maybe a classic

• Informative
Well.
Anything is possible when it comes to demand.

Who knew 20 yrs old Toyota Supra would be sold at 6 figures?
10-20 yrs old Jeep Wranglers are being sold at pretty high $ (I have a 6 y.o lime green wrangler JK that I can sell higher than what I paid back then).

Tesla Model X, imo, is as iconic as these cars especially with falcon doors that distinguish itself from others in the era.
Who knows? In 2035, 20 y.o billionaire who just sold a start-up to a tech giant might seek the first version of X to be unique and hip.

There are a whole lotta folks out there who dumped old cars only to be astonished when they found out those old crates could be worth a hundred grand if restored.
And it can cost that much to properly restore a car like a 60 year old Porsche (I used to own several), to say nothing of the cost to store a car for 60 years.

It is impossible to predict which cars will become valuable “classics” and which will not. In 1968 a 1958 Porsche Speedster that cost a few thousands dollars when new could be purchased for a few hundred dollars. Today a properly restored Speedster can be worth $300,000. But almost every other car made by all manufacturers in 1958 are today worth less than their original sale price (adjusted for inflation).

The original Tesla Roadster (2008-2012) is today worth far less than its original sale price.

In my opinion, it is unlikely that any early S/X/3 will gain value over time, because Tesla is iterating and improving so rapidly that cars built just a few years ago are far less capable and sophisticated than current Teslas. This process will continue as Tesla introduces higher energy density battery packs and other new hardware.

Hold on to your old Tesla if you want to, but expecting to make money off it in the future strikes me as wishful thinking.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. While the Roadster will certainly have a following, the Sig Red X is the car I would pick up if only I had space to store it.

Some of the most collectable cars are the ones that were so far ahead of their times that they were quirky in the moment.
The model X and its "Fabergé egg meets spaceship" design fit that bill perfectly.

Relative to the Model S, it is a much lower production car making all examples more rare.
Relative to the Model S, it was a far more difficult/ambitious design exercise -- a 6-passenger SUV is still unrivaled in EVs
Several stand out features: Auto open/close doors, falcon-wings, bioweapon defense mode.
Ridiculous performance for an SUV.
It is so good that it has become the understated daily driver for a good number of folks in entertainment and/or business leaders.
Even in Seattle (where Xs are everywhere) people smile when the falcon doors go up, kids run up and call it a spaceship, flap their arms. etc.

It won't be the next 300SL Gullwing, or McLaren F1, but I'm pretty confident it is special enough to have a following decades from now.

I'm more worried that car-collecting as a whole will start to fade away if/when robo taxis take over and designs get even more homogeneous and population centers continue to be the trend (where storing vehicles is even more cost prohibitive).

Nick

The only thing that could make the X a "classic" with high dollar values is if the next iteration skips the Falcon doors. They are fussy compared to a standard door and it could make good business sense to leave them off. The cool factor alone could make older X's desirable with this feature.i

• Informative
The only thing that could make the X a "classic" with high dollar values is if the next iteration skips the Falcon doors. They are fussy compared to a standard door and it could make good business sense to leave them off. The cool factor alone could make older X's desirable with this feature.i

That’s a wrong assessment. Look at the classics now. Early VINs even special editions like first 100 founders or first 1000 signature would have accents not features that make it such. The heritage of knowing Elon and execs and my friends I know from TESLA basically hand assembled the first few thousand cars. The sum is more than the parts. I humbly disagree with your premise

• Helpful
And hand assembling would be good or bad for value?
Personally I would rather have a Robot built car especially after a few years of working out the bugs.
It may be moot anyway as we have not seen any Teslas increase in value thus far.

• Helpful