Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Value - some thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My view of Signature is that you wear the badge of a special member of the Tesla community. I respect Signature holders, especially of the MS, as being groundbreakers who "bought in" to the entire concept of Tesla and are responsible for making my Tesla possible.

As far as actual payback on the Signature investment, I believe you receive collectibility and (therefore) resale value. This is especially the case with the Model S, which is groundbreaking. There will be a day when people will be looking at Teslas at auction, and will be able to say here's a Model S Signature, VIN 0XXXX. Maybe you won't keep it through to that day. But when you sell it, the resale market should reflect the longer view of this value. This is validated when you look any "special edition" models or limited release vehicles. In the case of the Signature MS, it's a special edition OF a limited release OF a groundbreaking car. Your car is going to be worth more than mine at resale, whether I have a D battery or not. At least, that's my opinion.

The Signature MX I think is slightly different. I don't see the collectibility and value of that portion being as striking. There's still value there, however.

Personally, I'm not a sig or Model S owner, I would think, white (perforated)leather/red sig, early delivery, pretty much equal prices to current car after the price increases, and future value of Elon's signature on the car should be enough. I'll break it down:
early delivery= large deposit
leather upgrade = $1000
color choices (red sig, white leather, for rarity)= $3500
Elons signature on car = +$1000 and growing in value
Total gain= +$5500
and residual value will hold up considerably!

Personally, I'm not a sig or Model S owner, I would think, white (perforated)leather/red sig, early delivery, pretty much equal prices to current car after the price increases, and future value of Elon's signature on the car should be enough. I'll break it down:
early delivery= large deposit
leather upgrade = $1000
color choices (red sig, white leather, for rarity)= $3500
Elons signature on car = +$1000 and growing in value
Total gain= +$5500
and residual value will hold up considerably!

I hope your investment gets you a Tesla some day...but be carful with your money!

FYI, Elon signed a very small number of Model S's on delivery (I have one of these with company e-mail verification) Many owners brought up stuff for him to sign after public appearances (owners manuals, swag, etc.) I tried to get the "signed on delivery" numbers from corporate but they could not give them to me. Elon barely had time to sleep and eat let alone sign cars in 2012...those of us who got that are VERY fortunate. I think a documented on delivery "Elon Musk Signature" Performance Model S is and will be worth much more than a 1,000 premium. The how and why something was signed adds to it's collect-ability. I also selected pearl white since the white-on-white Signature combination will make it even more rare (IMO, the way to go with the Performance CF trim & gray wheels:love:) I would not sell mine today for less than current P85 cost + 10K.

[1] early delivery= large deposit
[2] leather upgrade = $1000
[3] color choices (red sig, white leather, for rarity)= $3500
[4] Elons signature on car = +$1000 and growing in value
(1) Some Signature were delivered after early non-Signature vehicles.
(2) The "more extensive" leather is not Signature exclusive (at least not currently) is my understanding.
(3) This part is correct (though the $ "value" is of course debatable). Also keep in mind that Signature vehicles were only allowed 4 color choices (far less than Production vehicles) so this is a CON (fewer choices) as a well as a PRO (an exclusive choice).
(4) Has nothing to do with Signature offering.

(1) Some Signature were delivered after early non-Signature vehicles.
(2) The "more extensive" leather is not Signature exclusive (at least not currently) is my understanding.
(3) This part is correct (though the $ "value" is of course debatable). Also keep in mind that Signature vehicles were only allowed 4 color choices (far less than Production vehicles) so this is a CON (fewer choices) as a well as a PRO (an exclusive choice).
(4) Has nothing to do with Signature offering.

The upgraded leather was PERFERATED, not the regular "upgraded leather" also with the optional white leather --- gorgeous
the signiture deliveries were earlier non the less than most regular orders. The point of the sig was;
reg sign-up in May = delivery in 2013 maybe March
sig sign-up in may = delivery in fall 2012 maybe november
so it was a real difference. Someone else getting a car in November May have signed up in 2010

The upgraded leather was PERFERATED, not the regular "upgraded leather" also with the optional white leather --- gorgeous
the signiture deliveries were earlier non the less than most regular orders. The point of the sig was;
reg sign-up in May = delivery in 2013 maybe March
sig sign-up in may = delivery in fall 2012 maybe november
so it was a real difference. Someone else getting a car in November May have signed up in 2010

If that was the point, then why did the signature program exist in 2009?

People ordering way back when were committing to Tesla, if they didn't want a "Signiture" Model S than they could get an early regular one! The signature was more of an investment in Tesla way back then, pie ce of mind that they were financially committing to buy this car.

Perhaps, but I think if you do a little digging you'll find a number of instances where it was suggested the Signature cars would be much more than they ended up being. Heck, before going into seclusion and then leaving the company, George B even stated as much. It is what it is now, but I'd have to personally disagree with your assessment of how things were back then.

Perhaps, but I think if you do a little digging you'll find a number of instances where it was suggested the Signature cars would be much more than they ended up being. Heck, before going into seclusion and then leaving the company, George B even stated as much. It is what it is now, but I'd have to personally disagree with your assessment of how things were back then.

You are quite correct. Tesla frequently hinted that there would be some unspecified extra goodies in there. These statements were always made verbally, not in writing. It was a mantra until it wasn't.

Of course we all know verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on.

I totally agree with your point of view. The Signature program was/is full of vague promises that in the end fizzle out. It's a very bad way to treat your most valuable customers that are mixed in with the line cutters. Tesla needs to just abandon this program, because other than a few extra bucks, I don't see anything but ill-will from it. It's nothing but tripping over dollars to pick up nickels.

I totally agree with your point of view. The Signature program was/is full of vague promises that in the end fizzle out. It's a very bad way to treat your most valuable customers that are mixed in with the line cutters. Tesla needs to just abandon this program, because other than a few extra bucks, I don't see anything but ill-will from it. It's nothing but tripping over dollars to pick up nickels.

Based on past experience, I agree. However, it would seem those coming into the game now do indeed see the Signature program as primarily a means to skip the line. Maybe at this point Tesla thinks/hopes it'll evolve into that sort of thing and they can sweep the past under the rug.

Last edited:
I had estimated during the Model S rollout that the Sig premium would net Tesla about $7 million extra, not including extra revenue/profits from selling almost fully loaded cars. That's not nothing, and is pretty smart in terms of an easy way to produce extra revenue.

The big issue for me at the time was that we paid extra to essentially be guinea pigs, and out customer experience (missed delivery windows, no/bad communication, lots of due bill items, manual processes etc.) was in many cases notably worse overall than what later buyers experienced, all while failing to meet our expectations of getting something materially different than a regular S.

Assuming that they won't have these issues with the X, and knowing that a Sig basically allows you to jump the line, and not much more, it's still a great program for Tesla to raise extra revenue (pure profit), and expectations should be much more tempered now than they were then. I've advised several friends wanting an X to wait until shortly before production to put their Sig deposit down, and even if there's a wait list it's likely they'll get off it when people can't or won't finalize their orders.