TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Signature vs. GP nose cone

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by KBF, Dec 3, 2012.

1. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Someone was mentioning that R's and P's were getting a smoother nose cone than the Signatures (I believe it was originally on one of the delivery threads, but it was also mentioned on the "no 240v" thread. I'm on my phone, links are more time-consuming!)

I understand some P's and R's have been delivered. Can we have some comparison pics? For technical people, do the different designs make any difference apart from aesthetics?

2. Zextraterrestrial

What looks pretty sick is no nose cone, but it needs some touches to make it look purposeful. maybe add chrome across the steel bumper in the middle and some touch ups around the edges.

3. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

This is a Sig so apparently on later ones. I can't see any difference though. Is it me?
    Perhaps 2 close ups for better comparison.?

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The horizontal, side-to-side parting/joining line below the Tesla logo is gone -- it's all smooth now.

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes, mine is definitely different than that one, although I was told by the DS that I had a "newer" nosecone design, one of the first he'd seen.

7. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Anyone done a side by side comparison? Is there any difference in the finish or design that is only noticeable in a close comparison?

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

There definitely was a "fat lip" on the older nosecone that has since been smoothed out. Here's one from the Motor Trend COTY gallery:

2013-Tesla-Model-S-front-three-quarter-2.jpg

And, efusco's pic of his newer nosecone in full-res:

8243344974_b77e07a8ac_o_d.jpg

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

So does the nose cone contain a bumper of some sort?

10. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I believe all cars are mandated to have a bumper. But nothing different than what other makers have....

11. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Wonder why they did it? Not sure if I like it.
    The 'lip' looks like it was a continuation of the line running from the fender to the nose.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The nosecone never had a real bumper in it. The boron steel bumper sits right behind the mid portion of the nosecone -- that hasn't changed with the redesign.

13. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

A Sig owner might be able to understand the reasons better (they can look under the hood to see) but it looks like they went from two pieces to one piece for the nosecone. One less piece has got to be better than two just for the simplicity.

14. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

It's a little dark in the garage, but it looks like my early sig has a two-piece nose cone with the join line along that upper horizontal lip.

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Perhaps that's the difference -- mine looks like a one-piece but still has the lip. I'll take a closer look later.

16. roblab

roblab Active Member

Just for interest's sake, the original nose cone is more than two pieces. The area to the lower right of the Tesla T pops out (with a plastic prybar or some other non damaging item) to reveal the pos and neg terminals of the battery connections, for jumpstarting, I suppose. I don't see how you can access that with the new nosecone, unless the battery connectors are back under the frunk now.

The original nosecone has a definite bumper shape across the middle of the front, which sticks out maybe an inch in front of the rest of the nose. Possibly a light bump that might damage just the bumper plastic would not hit the rest of the front end. It definitely makes for easy quick ID of a Signature.

17. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Jumpstarting? Is that even relevant with this car ??? If the 12v dies, do all the systems run off the 12v? How does the 12v get its charge from larger battery pack when running, is there an alternator of some kind? I've always wanted to know this. (mods, feel free to move this to another thread if it goes too far off topic)

18. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Tesla has played with a number of different designs - I just noticed that the Tesla home page has a different nose cone than either the Signature or GP nose cone.

Nosecone.jpg

19. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Has anyone figured out how to remove the new nosecone? My DS couldn't figure it out (mine was the first new style he'd seen). I guess the jumper contacts are behind it somewhere.