Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature X Seat, Belt and Interior Colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three Décor Trims Return for Model X

Since the black sat leather and black headliner appear to be favorites, I will use those choices for the existing décor choices that exist for Model S and are available for Model X. These are all available at the Tesla Store for viewing. Some of these look better on the dash of the Design Studio, while others look better on the car doors in the Design Studio. Don't let the sheen of the reflection of the Carbon Fiber used on the interior fool you, it does NOT have a glass like reflective quality so objects moving outside will not reflect their image in the material.

Glossy Obeche Wood Décor, Matte Obeche Wood Décor and Carbon Fiber Décor:
Black Glossy Black.jpg

Black Matte Black.jpg

Black Carbon Black.jpg

Summary comments and my configuration

So what did I choose? Tan Leather Seats with the Black Alcantara Headliner. The reason was to decrease the reflections of light at the sides of the front windshield and to have a contrasting tan color at the doors and front. The larger windshield allows for an absence of the Alcantara material above the windshield wiper area in Model X. This should decrease a closed-in effect that may occur with Black Alcantara Headliner. Of course, the eventual choice of headliner is a personal matter. The sun visors are the color of the headliner and are located above the front doors. One consideration with the black headliner is the slight warmth that can be felt if your head is close to the material while sunshine is casting bright light on the material. Turning the A/C colder or adjusting air flow towards the area should help if you want to stay refreshed.

My current Model S does have Signature Red paint with the white leather interior and Carbon Fiber Décor. I would have selected the white seats again, but the Ultra White synthetic with black seat belts is not my goal of an upgrade from what I have enjoyed for almost 3 years. But for practicality, you can't beat it. And no more sitting on a towel to prevent color transfer! For those who loved the interior of the prototype we saw since the Battery Swap Event, the white interior would be a wonderful choice. Don't let others change your mind if that is what you prefer. What I selected years ago for Model S was perfect then. It's time for some change for me, but because of my love for Signature Red, that color will continue to remind me of the Model S while enjoying Model X. I will enjoy sitting in someone else's white seats when others stop by at our OC Tesla meet-ups. We always enjoy a great time.

I did consider Black Leather Seats and found them restful when sitting in Model S at the Tesla Store. Mall temperatures and indoor light levels keep the cars comfortable with no bright sunshine to heat the surfaces. By visiting a Tesla Sales Center (like Costa Mesa or Buena Park, CA) the buyer has the ability to sit in a hot car on a sunny day. This allows for heat comparisons and a better view of the materials in the daytime. My only concern with the Black Leather Seat choice is the result of the leather panels on the doors and lower dash area being the same color. The result is no color contrast as compared with the white or tan selections. Tesla Motors does not offer the choice of door/dash panels of a different color. The seat color choice is what you get at the doors and lower dash. While Black Leather Seats is a spectacular choice for many, I just wasn't ready this time. Perhaps if I lived in Seattle, WA it would be a different situation. One major benefit of the black seats is the reduced reflections in window glass when sunlight is bright. The black seat belts match the leather color too. Black Leather Seats is a classy choice and on display at all the Tesla Stores I visited this past week.

Originally, I did choose Carbon Fiber Décor. The finish is not highly reflective so moving reflections from the windows do not occur. UPDATE ERROR: Since I can only assume that the NEW Figured and Dark Ash Wood Décor has a shiny finish, I am skipping what appears to be another excellent option.

UPDATE: More data from Tesla: The Figured Ash Wood Décor is between a shiny and matte finish. Therefore I will go with this choice and hope for the best. It is stunning and I loved it from the beginning. Do I dare have a professional spray "Krylon Matte Finish" on only the dash décor if it is shiny?

As with the headliner, the Decor choices are very personal and I would not want my choice to be assumed as favorable for others. When viewing a new Model S on Saturday at our Tesla Owners group meet-up, I was able to see the exact choices I was considering. I found that the owner of the Model S had chosen carbon fiber because he likes the hi-tech appearance. That is an excellent reason since it is high tech and features the low reflective finish.

I hope by sharing my thoughts in this summary post that you will be able to consider your choices carefully and logically. The added enjoyment is worth the effort. If there are special requests for me to post your choices, reply soon. Our cutoff date for configuring is 9/8 and I might not have access to the Design Studio after that date. I will gladly pass the baton to others who are configuring in the future and hopefully they will keep the Signature buyers informed of any changes to the choices.

Last edited:
Personally I prefer the black seat belts with the tan interior. To each is own. Too bad it's not an option.
I do agree that it should be an option, since it is standard in Model S. However, I am pleased that Tesla has given us an opportunity to have matching seat belts. The front black belts do look sharp when the Black Alcantara Headliner is chosen. I saw it in the Model S with tan seats and it does look right. I would still want the tan belts in the five rear seats. I plan to chat with Tesla to verify the belt color since I am choosing tan this time. The reason I posted all of this was because of the days of decisions that it has taken to think carefully in advance. Maybe this will get some of the future Signature buyers to plan ahead and to avoid making decisions from the photos that are showing white seat belts with the white seats.

Hey!!!
I just noticed the center console will be going back to matching decor! Hope that's true and they don't phase it out like they did in the S!!
The center console shown for the Signature Model X will give us extra cup holders too. While I will miss the empty space in the center, this is one improvement I will appreciate.

One more thing to notice. There is an odd "L" shape on the middle of the back seat. When printing, it is a separate background that disappears. Perhaps Tesla is hiding some neat feature or it could just be an error from the IT folks. You will see it on all the white and tan screens.

If I may be so bold as to request a color combo screen shot... white seats, black headliner and the new, black wood? In my mind's eye that looks great but.... well... sometimes that eye's kinda blind.

Also, thank you very much for posting these, it's been a lot of fun to scroll through them!

If I may be so bold as to request a color combo screen shot... white seats, black headliner and the new, black wood? In my mind's eye that looks great but.... well... sometimes that eye's kinda blind. Also, thank you very much for posting these, it's been a lot of fun to scroll through them!
It's my pleasure. Here are BOTH of the new Ash Wood choices.

When you have time, enjoy a video at Bjørn Nyland's YouTube page. He requested Design Center screens of Signature X and all the exterior colors are there: Model X configurator open for Signature customers - YouTube
Ultra Dark Black.jpg

Ultra Figured Black.jpg

One more thing to notice. There is an odd "L" shape on the middle of the back seat. When printing, it is a separate background that disappears. Perhaps Tesla is hiding some neat feature or it could just be an error from the IT folks. You will see it on all the white and tan screens.

You mean this? That's just an arrow to scroll between exterior and interior views. Float your cursor over, you can click on it.

model x rear seats.png

You mean this? That's just an arrow to scroll between exterior and interior views. Float your cursor over, you can click on it.
Silly me, of course it's the "<" for moving to the exterior view. The one on the right isn't as noticeable. Thanks Bonnie, for keeping rumors under control. I hope all is going perfectly with your configuration and the delivery options you request.

It's the arrow to scroll between the different configuration pictures. Look closely, it's on the black seats and on the dash too. ;-)

Edit: Damn! Too slow! Must move quickly to out post the bonnie. Ha! ;-)

So what did I choose? Tan Leather Seats with the Black Alcantara Headliner. <snip>
As mentioned, I did choose Carbon Fiber Décor. <snip>
I was trying to use the Model S build to see what all my options were last night.
In a little bit of irony the above is exactly what I liked most.
Can you show a picture of that in the Model X configurator?
I don't think you did yet. Here is the Model S.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/fncbLat.jpg
fncbLat.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

update: I took a look at the tracker. Seems that Black/Black Tan/Black and White/White are most popular.

SeatsHeadlinerCount
BlackBlack6
BlackWhite2
TanBlack5
TanWhite3
Ultra WhiteBlack1
Ultra WhiteWhite4
Paul -- I think this table should really needs to show the décor/dash option as well. Or have a 2nd table with all 3 and leave this one with 2 perhaps.

I was trying to use the Model S build to see what all my options were last night.
In a little bit of irony the above is exactly what I liked most.
Can you show a picture of that in the Model X configurator?
I don't think you did yet.

You are right. I hadn't posted the configuration that I have selected as well. It's similar to the Model S Design Studio shown, but we only see color selections. Model X does appear to feature Next Generation seams in the seats, but they are unique. Notice the matching tan seat belts.
Tan Carbon Black.jpg

The tan color appears a bit faded compared with the Model S Design Studio. I opened the studio on this computer and your colors are identical. Looking at photos I took this weekend of a tan Tesla, the Signature Model X Design Studio matches the shade of a photo, while the Model S Design Studio has some filtered sunlight that brightens up the interior. Perhaps Tesla Motors can get the IT department to engineer choices for a morning, noon, and evening setting for more accurate color displays.

Last edited:
You are right. I hadn't posted the configuration that I have selected as well. It's similar to the Model S Design Studio shown, but we only see color selections. Model X does appear to feature Next Generation Seats with matching tan seat belts.
Thanks for that! The color of "tan" seems to be quite a bit different in those two configurators.

GhigBoc.png

This upper area of the seat where your shoulders seem quite a bit different too.
Wonder if you have pretty wide shoulders if these would seem "tight" or push your shoulders forward?
G23rvNr.png

Last edited:
The color of "tan" seems to be quite a bit different in those two configurators...

This upper area of the seat where your shoulders seem quite a bit different too.
Wonder if you have pretty wide shoulders if these would seem "tight" or push your shoulders forward?
If the Tan is brighter in real life, could the Ultra White be brighter as well?

In regard to the shoulder area: Reminds me of those old style telephone holders that allowed a person to wedge the handset between the shoulder and head. From this angle it doesn't appear to be symmetrical, yet it has to be.

Tesla does not mention "Next Generation" for these seats. "Ventilated leather seats with heating and cooling" is what it says in the list of features.

The apparent shoulder cushions might give more grip to the upper body during sharp turns with the higher seat position in Model X. Just what I need if Autopilot decides to make a sudden turn. This advanced support reminds me of some of the airline seats of have experienced.

Here is a recent photo of a Model S tan seat and trim. Notice all the variations depending on the sunlight.

Tan Seat.jpg

Last edited:
Paul -- I think this table should really needs to show the décor/dash option as well. Or have a 2nd table with all 3 and leave this one with 2 perhaps.

Ok here's an updated break down. Some people shared some comments about their decor choice and/or why they didn't choose a particular one. But not on the seats or headliner. Hope thats a useful start if we want to keep this updated, I can make a report.

SeatsHeadlinerCountDécorCountComments
BlackBlack9Carbon Fiber4

Obeche Wood Matte3

Dark Ash Wood1

Undecided1
BlackWhite2Carbon Fiber1

Piano Black (if avail)1

Undecided1Undecided1
TanBlack7Carbon Fiber3

Figured Ask Wood2

Obeche Wood Matte1

Dash Ask Wood1not married to it

Undecided1Undecided1
TanWhite3Carbon Fiber1

Obeche Wood Gloss

Undecided1

Undecided1Undecided1
Ultra WhiteBlack2Carbon Fiber1

Dark Ash Wood1

Undecided1
Ultra WhiteWhite4Carbon Fiber4

Black2Carbon Fiber1

Dash Ask Wood1

Undecided1Piano Black (if avail)1Have CF in my 2008, Cracking from UV or heat., wish to avoid in future

Undecided1Undecided1

I agree, and taking photos over the last week at the Tesla Stores shows that the seat belt adjuster is the matching light color in Model S with the White Alcantra Headliner and black seat belts.

Now, this screen save of the Design Studio for Signature Model X shows the new Figured Ash Wood Décor.

View attachment 93390
Everything is coordinated properly when choosing these choices, but keep those sunny days in mind. Black leather will be much hotter than the Ultra White. Customers can be fooled when visiting the cool mall or visiting an auto center at night. But if you love the beauty of black, Tesla Motors does it right.

The new Figured Ash Wood Décor has not as of 9/7 been available for buyers to see in person. I can only assume it has the reflective quality as the other shiny selections. This is based on checking how it looks in the Design Studio and comparing with other known reflective materials. While Piano Black is NOT available for the Signature X, it too does not "shine" in the Design Studio for Model S. Also, the word "matte" is NOT used. Call Tesla Motors if reflectivity is a concern. It looks great in the Design Studio and I hope all who choose it will be pleased. It's a wood style and color that is long overdue.
I just noticed something that should be telling about the new Ash decors. The swatches clearly show which ones have a glossy finish and which ones have a matte finish. The Black Ash and Gloss Obeche have lighter colored triangular sections over them (as does the Piano Black swatch on Model S), whereas the Figured Ash, Matte Obeche, and Carbon Fiber do not. This should be a pretty clear indication that the Figured Ash decor is a MATTE finish, and not shiny.