Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Signed up for PGE NEM2MT but got placed on NEM2-PS?

20Kw Pv solar tiles w- 3 Powerwalls (40Kw storage)...
Lots of confusion about why people are in one or other in prior recent posts, and it seems more recently PGE was pushing people into NEM2-MT that is more restrictive, more requirements than NEM2-PS.
Maybe a minor issue in the end, but was nice to see

PG&E Customers with 3 or more PWs: Interconnection NEM2, NEM2-MT, or NEM2-PS
PG&E is strange and @holeydonut is magnet for strangeness. 🙂

The NEM2-MT is supposed to be due multiple tariff rates if you are a "real" generator or maybe if you were on NEM 1.0 and then added more solar+ESS. I can't find any specifics on what is different in any tariff rate schedules between the two. I did see a mention that if you filed for PTO with NEM2-MT and PG&E determined that you were eligible for NEM2-PS you would be switched.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Yeah, NEM2-PS is supposed to have different NBC's and I think doesn't have the requirement to add PG&E as a named insured on your policy.

I guess PG&E by default will start yo on NEM2-MT then switch you to NEM2-PS if they think you qualify. Although I'm hazy about this even after I contacted the Director at PG&E responsible for NEM2-MT. I asked what is the difference between the two and the approximate cost impact for being on one vs the other... and the differences are minor.

The biggest factor to determine if you'll be on NEM2-PS is if the ratio of total Battery kW to PV kW is 1.50 or less. For example, if you have 25 kW* of batteries (5 Powerwall 2's) and 15 kW of solar then you'll be on NEM2-MT because the ratio is 1.67. But if you add 3 kW of solar (and PG&E allows you to do this without exceeding your 110% prior year usage), then you should move to NEM2-PS with a ratio of 1.39.

However, if you have other generation sources (eg wind, biomass, gas generator, etc) you'll be on NEM2-MT no matter what.

PS, they measure the kW export "size"; not the kWh capacity.

Reactions: Redhill_qik

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Yeah, NEM2-PS is supposed to have different NBC's and I think doesn't have the requirement to add PG&E as a named insured on your policy.

I guess PG&E by default will start yo on NEM2-MT then switch you to NEM2-PS if they think you qualify. Although I'm hazy about this even after I contacted the Director at PG&E responsible for NEM2-MT. I asked what is the difference between the two and the approximate cost impact for being on one vs the other... and the differences are minor.

The biggest factor to determine if you'll be on NEM2-PS is if the ratio of total Battery kW to PV kW is 1.50 or less. For example, if you have 25 kW* of batteries (5 Powerwall 2's) and 15 kW of solar then you'll be on NEM2-MT because the ratio is 1.67. But if you add 3 kW of solar (and PG&E allows you to do this without exceeding your 110% prior year usage), then you should move to NEM2-PS with a ratio of 1.39.

However, if you have other generation sources (eg wind, biomass, gas generator, etc) you'll be on NEM2-MT no matter what.

Looks like another reason I need more panels. :) Just would be nice to know the real differences and why they have two programs. Since I will plan to add two EV's, it would seem justifying more panels should be easy? And when I applied, my use to solar was 20K negative. :( Wonder what I get for that?

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA

Strange. I have only 4.32kW solar and 2 PWs. So, my ratio is 2.31. However, being 10kW and under may have different rules. I am clearly on NEM Paired Storage billing. I am also granfathered on NEM 1, so I don't pay NBCs.

PG&E B&W Bill Header EV2A.jpg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC