Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significance of neurino ct - keeps beeping / resetting in box.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious why the clamp is on one black wire while the other clamp is on two red wires but different breaker from black.
Are those 40A breakers for three inverters?
Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can shed light on this.
so I can tell you that the top breaker with the ct on the black line is inverter 1 , the middle and bottom breakers are inverters 2/3. Those have the CT on the RED lines.

The black one was not reporting before on CT1 on the neurio , as it was erroring out at 0v. I swapped that to the CT2 port and modified it on the gateway setup and now at least reports all the right amount of solar generated.

Problem still persists on the connection to wifi. I got in touch with a great support rep in the powerwall group today and she saw the issue plain as day and forwarded my request to 2nd tier / local support.

Does anyone know why they use neurios at all? The internal gateway has 3 open spots to use but are not used at all. The site load is on the other internal gateway CT , that operates fine. Why not run a hard line from the inverter / box to the gateway. They have conduit and mine isnt that far from my box. Seems odd. Seems like a huge point of failure relying on some 2 bit wifi neurio box.

so I can tell you that the top breaker with the ct on the black line is inverter 1 , the middle and bottom breakers are inverters 2/3. Those have the CT on the RED lines.

The black one was not reporting before on CT1 on the neurio , as it was erroring out at 0v. I swapped that to the CT2 port and modified it on the gateway setup and now at least reports all the right amount of solar generated.

Problem still persists on the connection to wifi. I got in touch with a great support rep in the powerwall group today and she saw the issue plain as day and forwarded my request to 2nd tier / local support.

Does anyone know why they use neurios at all? The internal gateway has 3 open spots to use but are not used at all. The site load is on the other internal gateway CT , that operates fine. Why not run a hard line from the inverter / box to the gateway. They have conduit and mine isnt that far from my box. Seems odd. Seems like a huge point of failure relying on some 2 bit wifi neurio box.
While I have Enphase inverters with a 20A breaker up on the 2nd floor subpanel it has a clamp on each leg, red and black wire. This transmits panel generation to the Gateway that then calculates everything else.
I just cannot fathom why only one wire on a breaker is clamped. I would understand all three black and reds run together side by side getting a clamp for each color.
Need input from experts here.

While I have Enphase inverters with a 20A breaker up on the 2nd floor subpanel it has a clamp on each leg, red and black wire. This transmits panel generation to the Gateway that then calculates everything else.
I just cannot fathom why only one wire on a breaker is clamped. I would understand all three black and reds run together side by side getting a clamp for each color.
Need input from experts here.
At a minimum, one needs a CT on all wires for at least one of the phases, as the gateway can double that number to get total solar power as the solar power is balanced on the two AC legs. One could also have CTs on both phases.

Not knowing how @aimetti's panel is set up, it is hard to say.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
At a minimum, one needs a CT on all wires for at least one of the phases, as the gateway can double that number to get total solar power as the solar power is balanced on the two AC legs. One could also have CTs on both phases.

Not knowing how @aimetti's panel is set up, it is hard to say.
I do know i need to set the CTs int he gateway as the solar x2 , otherwise it gets wrong values

So, about a month ago, after complaining about the neurio beeping, Tesla tier 2 came back and said that my neurio needed replacement. Out with my version 1.2 neurio and "Hello!" neurio version 2.0.

The technician and I discussed whether the beeping may have been the neurio popping back and forth between running on my home network and trying for the TEG network and erroring out.

The neurio 2.0 good news: No more beeping!

Configuration is very simple; the TEG takes a short code from the neurio box, and the relevant fields are populated. All that is left getting the CTs sorted out. Version 2.0 has a much much more capable WiFi. Can I say that again? Much. More. Capable. The TEG and the neurio 2.0 can now share data via the Gateway's TEG network over 80', and numerous walls. The new model comes with improved connectors, and more robust cabling. So far, there haven't been any beeping episodes, or data issues. The technician said that he has done neurio installations at over 330'/100m with directional antennas. So I am hopeful that this is a permanent fix.

No more having to reserve IP addresses and no more having to route the neurio data through your home network.

👍👍

All the best,

BG

So, about a month ago, after complaining about the neurio beeping, Tesla tier 2 came back and said that my neurio needed replacement. Out with my version 1.2 neurio and "Hello!" neurio version 2.0.

The technician and I discussed whether the beeping may have been the neurio popping back and forth between running on my home network and trying for the TEG network and erroring out.

The neurio 2.0 good news: No more beeping!

Configuration is very simple; the TEG takes a short code from the neurio box, and the relevant fields are populated. All that is left getting the CTs sorted out. Version 2.0 has a much much more capable WiFi. Can I say that again? Much. More. Capable. The TEG and the neurio 2.0 can now share data via the Gateway's TEG network over 80', and numerous walls. The new model comes with improved connectors, and more robust cabling. So far, there haven't been any beeping episodes, or data issues. The technician said that he has done neurio installations at over 330'/100m with directional antennas. So I am hopeful that this is a permanent fix.

No more having to reserve IP addresses and no more having to route the neurio data through your home network.

👍👍

All the best,

BG
Awesome! Glad you got it fixed.

I had no issues for a month. Until yesterday. We have had an easy winter and hasn’t been real cold since my last issues. Fast forward to yesterday and the coldest day of the year. Sure enough the neurio was beeping all day and the generation doesn’t match the graph. Should be 20-25 kWh for the day. Today temp is up and no beeping. Leads me to believe it’s having a hard time in the freezing cold.

Attached graph for reference 8E8EEEF7-0E2C-4181-B514-123BA613554C.png

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Awesome! Glad you got it fixed.

I had no issues for a month. Until yesterday. We have had an easy winter and hasn’t been real cold since my last issues. Fast forward to yesterday and the coldest day of the year. Sure enough the neurio was beeping all day and the generation doesn’t match the graph. Should be 20-25 kWh for the day. Today temp is up and no beeping. Leads me to believe it’s having a hard time in the freezing cold.

Attached graph for reference View attachment 903552
Sorry to hear it. Any chance it is snow accumulation preventing RF transmission, rather than cold?

My new one has gone back to beeping; I have another call in for service. Sigh. It is not cold enough here for that to be a reason.

All the best,

BG

Sorry to hear it. Any chance it is snow accumulation preventing RF transmission, rather than cold?

My new one has gone back to beeping; I have another call in for service. Sigh. It is not cold enough here for that to be a reason.

All the best,

BG
Oh no lol.
We have oddly had 0 snow this year. Overall temps been above 20 most of winter. We got down to -8 and was under 0 most of Saturday. That’s when the issue popped up again.

I’m going to reach out to them tomorrow to see what they say. Back up to 18 kWh by 1 today and no beeping.

Oh no lol.
We have oddly had 0 snow this year. Overall temps been above 20 most of winter. We got down to -8 and was under 0 most of Saturday. That’s when the issue popped up again.

I’m going to reach out to them tomorrow to see what they say. Back up to 18 kWh by 1 today and no beeping.
I’m experiencing a similar issue. My neurio would go offline at night and beep all night. In the morning when it warms up, it would connect, stay green and behave normally. Tesla has tried updating the neurio but I’m still having the same issue at night and on rainy days. Did your issue resolve or did you end up having to replace the neurio?

I’m experiencing a similar issue. My neurio would go offline at night and beep all night. In the morning when it warms up, it would connect, stay green and behave normally. Tesla has tried updating the neurio but I’m still having the same issue at night and on rainy days. Did your issue resolve or did you end up having to replace the neurio?

Unfortunately no. Whenever the temp outside drops below around 20 degrees F it seems to disconnect. Im not sure if its the gateway outside which is obviously colder or if its in my unheated (but insulated) garage that is warmer. Like you at night when the temp drops i typically hear it beeping / disconnected but that doesnt impact much as I am not generating solar obviously. Now the days that it is around that 20 degree mark (which we didnt have too many of those this year) it messes w/ the connection to the powerwall where it wont charge and only send to the grid and also shows only half or so of my solar being generated. Tesla doesnt seem to care.

Unfortunately no. Whenever the temp outside drops below around 20 degrees F it seems to disconnect. Im not sure if its the gateway outside which is obviously colder or if its in my unheated (but insulated) garage that is warmer. Like you at night when the temp drops i typically hear it beeping / disconnected but that doesnt impact much as I am not generating solar obviously. Now the days that it is around that 20 degree mark (which we didnt have too many of those this year) it messes w/ the connection to the powerwall where it wont charge and only send to the grid and also shows only half or so of my solar being generated. Tesla doesnt seem to care.
Update: I’ve had a few site visits and software updates, but it continued to disconnect at night. Tesla finally replaced the neurio unit, and it’s working fine since. They should be able to see that you’re still having incorrect CT readings when cold, and I would push them to see if they’ll replace the neurio.

Update: I’ve had a few site visits and software updates, but it continued to disconnect at night. Tesla finally replaced the neurio unit, and it’s working fine since. They should be able to see that you’re still having incorrect CT readings when cold, and I would push them to see if they’ll replace the neurio.
I’ve still not been able to get my system provisioned, as the Neurio’s have never connected. Well, one did for a bit, then disconnected. But the slightly further one, in the PW+ one foot further away from the GW2, never seems to connect. They can’t possibly be this sensitive can they? We’re talking about 30-40ft, through one wall.

I’ve still not been able to get my system provisioned, as the Neurio’s have never connected. Well, one did for a bit, then disconnected. But the slightly further one, in the PW+ one foot further away from the GW2, never seems to connect. They can’t possibly be this sensitive can they? We’re talking about 30-40ft, through one wall.
I think that, yes, they can be that sensitive, and, yes, I think that they are that sensitive. The V1.2 neurios seem to have feeble WiFi radios, one could even say pathetic. If you don't already have the 24" antenna extender cable installed, I would start by trying that, and getting the antenna out of the PW+ enclosure. Don't forget to make a weatherproof route out of the PW+ and don't kink or crush the antenna cable. If you already have the antenna extension installed, I would request a new V2.0 neurio. I have an access point rated for 600' of range less than 30' away from a neurio with the signal going through 1/2" plywood and 1/2" of drywall, and the V1.2 neurio couldn't reliably connect. (No other WiFi devices nearby.) Other WiFi devices can connect to the access point from hundreds of feet away, and report 5/5 bars at the neurio.

I believe that it is rather important that the Tesla Gateway and neurio have address reservations (static IP addresses) in your router, and that they are at those addresses.

I am not a neurio fan. All it has to do is digitize the currents from a few CTs, connect to a WiFi network, learn the Gateway's MAC address, and push the digitized current information to the Gateway. I think that there is zero excuse for screwing up WiFi in this day and age; it is hardly bleeding edge technology. As other parts of Musk companies clearly understand how to do this, the expertise is around.

(Side note: the signal strength was 4/5 bars at my neurio before I upgraded the access point, and upgrading the access point made only a slight difference to keeping the neurio connected. The V2 neurio seems to function more reliably. )

All the best,

BG

I think that, yes, they can be that sensitive, and, yes, I think that they are that sensitive. The V1.2 neurios seem to have feeble WiFi radios, one could even say pathetic. If you don't already have the 24" antenna extender cable installed, I would start by trying that, and getting the antenna out of the PW+ enclosure. Don't forget to make a weatherproof route out of the PW+ and don't kink or crush the antenna cable. If you already have the antenna extension installed, I would request a new V2.0 neurio. I have an access point rated for 600' of range less than 30' away from a neurio with the signal going through 1/2" plywood and 1/2" of drywall, and the V1.2 neurio couldn't reliably connect. (No other WiFi devices nearby.) Other WiFi devices can connect to the access point from hundreds of feet away, and report 5/5 bars at the neurio.

I believe that it is rather important that the Tesla Gateway and neurio have address reservations (static IP addresses) in your router, and that they are at those addresses.

I am not a neurio fan. All it has to do is digitize the currents from a few CTs, connect to a WiFi network, learn the Gateway's MAC address, and push the digitized current information to the Gateway. I think that there is zero excuse for screwing up WiFi in this day and age; it is hardly bleeding edge technology. As other parts of Musk companies clearly understand how to do this, the expertise is around.

(Side note: the signal strength was 4/5 bars at my neurio before I upgraded the access point, and upgrading the access point made only a slight difference to keeping the neurio connected. The V2 neurio seems to function more reliably. )

All the best,

BG
Quick update. I was able to manually connect to each Neurio after rebooting them, log directly into their admin, and setup my home network connection that way. I guess the Neurio’s we’re trying to connect directly to my GW2? Anyways, they are both now connected to my home network, which the GW2 is on, and have stable blue lights. So I think I’m ok on that front now.

Any idea what I do next to get this setup “on”? Does Tesla have to “provision” anything on site that I cannot do? Or can I take it from here?

Quick update. I was able to manually connect to each Neurio after rebooting them, log directly into their admin, and setup my home network connection that way. I guess the Neurio’s we’re trying to connect directly to my GW2? Anyways, they are both now connected to my home network, which the GW2 is on, and have stable blue lights. So I think I’m ok on that front now.

Any idea what I do next to get this setup “on”? Does Tesla have to “provision” anything on site that I cannot do? Or can I take it from here?
Congratulations!

What do you mean by "on"? Can you see power being monitored by the neurios, and is it of the right value/sign? If so, that is all there is to it.

All the best,

BG

System was “on” I just couldn’t tell. Eventually figured out how to direct connect to GW2 for a while, and could monitor that way. Still couldn’t get app working, but then eventually I got tech support to look into it via chat. They saw something was “hung” on the backend in provisioning process. Fixed it abd 10min later I was able to see everything in the app (including previous 10 days of data).

Reactions: charlesj