Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant drop in [displayed] range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I have a August 2020 M3 Long Range. Just done 9000 miles.
It has super charged 3 times over that period.
I charge to 75% daily.
I use a Zappi charger that charges slowly off my solar panels. Typically between 1 and 5 kW.
Car is kept in a garage unless being used.
I have charged to 100% probably a dozen times.
When I had selected 100% it showed the range as 311 miles.
My average wh per mile is 252 over that distance.

I had a 180 mile round trip yesterday and potentially had then go somewhere else so I charged to 100%. Did my trip and then a bit more and had 34% left. When I went to set it to 75% I noticed that when set to 100% it is showing a range of 284. Its 20 degrees Celsius the car had been used a longish trip.

I appreciate its a guide and lots vary but I'm surprised that it is such a drop in expected range in 9 months. Has anyone else seen this or have an explanation?

I'm hoping its the accuracy of the battery management calibration drifting. It doesn't seem too uncommon.

There are a number of posts about how to recover some of the lost range by allowing the car to sit at various states of charge, but that may not be the whole story. One post on UK, unfortunately I can't remember where, had the same issue, contacted Tesla and they found an issue with the car that when fixed also pushed the range right back up - it wasn't clear whether the fix also fixed the range or whether it simply reset the calibration and it was going to start drifting again.

Ultimately, the its the range of the car when driven at 100% efficiency that counts, not what the car thinks is the range. But thats not an easy distance to measure.

Reactions: Adopado
My LR is March 2020 With 2700 on the clock. I’ve probably done 10 trips over 70 miles otherwise just short trips of 20 miles or much less. At a 90% charge I get 272 miles range consistently (268 in winter). That extrapolates as 302 miles at 100%.
most of my short trips cost double in range what a longer trip would so I’d expect that 302 miles to stretch on a long drive.
I’d certainly get that kind of loss checked out.

My car's range goes up and down for no good reason but not as much as the OP... Maybe it's the weather or how much I use the car?? I'm going to drill down on the data and see if there is any correlation...

batterry.gif

I charge to 75% daily.
I use a Zappi charger that charges slowly off my solar panels. Typically between 1 and 5 kW.

I had a 180 mile round trip yesterday and potentially had then go somewhere else so I charged to 100%. Did my trip and then a bit more and had 34% left. When I went to set it to 75% I noticed that when set to 100% it is showing a range of 284. Its 20 degrees Celsius the car had been used a longish trip.

I appreciate its a guide and lots vary but I'm surprised that it is such a drop in expected range in 9 months. Has anyone else seen this or have an explanation?
This is just an estimate, when the battery is low these estimates are usually lower, check it again when at 75%. It should be higher. Only way to test is actually charging to 100%.

I charge to 75% daily.

I'm thinking the thread should be more accurately entitled "Significant Drop in Displayed Range". The only way to know your real range would be to charge to 100% and drive until the car conks out! By all means keep a track on things just in case there does turn out to be a real issue but my expectation is in line with the post by @VanillaAir_UK .

Reactions: MrBadger and pow216