Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 SR+. I am seeing only 202 miles at 90% = 224 miles range :(

250 my ass.

My 100%. 2019 SR+. 10,002 miles

UOGGHee.png

I have unlimited range wherever I go but I'll be keeping my eye on the number rating to see if it goes down more. I have never seen 240 or higher. But I just display battery percentage and forget it

Last edited:
My LeMR at 100% is at 242 miles now down from 264. A 8.4% loss since purchase. I have seen two significant drops in overall range both related to software updates, one is September 2019 and one again recently in May 2020!

So as annoying as it is that Tesla has knee capped our range suddenly via software update, i have good news that it’s likely not a real loss. I did a 311 mile straight drive in my p100d 2 years ago with very similar speed stats and energy stats, then again did the same exact 311 straight drive... ended with same range despite Tesla telling me my rated range is 295 at 100%.

original range was 317.

conclusion: this range drop is software related and Therefore more about perceived range drop. Still it’s super annoying and not cool.

my theory is that this follows a string of updates after a couple of high profile fires during charging...

it’s super annoying but at least now I will estimate my range drop as about closer to 7-8 miles of range loss per 40,000 miles. So from 317 to 310.... but I certainly am getting more range than what it shows- 295

Why the hell cant these cars just show range loss so people don't have to guess anymore? The car knows exactly how much capacity is left in the cells from new and its not exactly hard to give users the option to display such. Why all the smoke and daggers stuff? It would stop all this stupid guess work going on by the whole user base. Just have an option to turn that on via the dash. I have never seen 240 miles from my M3 from new and I am just up to almost 5000 miles. In winter 160 and now in summer well if I was to 0 it with motorway driving and air-con 190 maybe? The most it has ever displayed from day 1 was 239. Just add a nice new tab for the people who car and call it "advanced telemetry option" and you can see all the stats right there on the big screen as you boost those electrons!

Why the hell cant these cars just show range loss so people don't have to guess anymore? The car knows exactly how much capacity is left in the cells from new and its not exactly hard to give users the option to display such. Why all the smoke and daggers stuff? It would stop all this stupid guess work going on by the whole user base. Just have an option to turn that on via the dash. I have never seen 240 miles from my M3 from new and I am just up to almost 5000 miles. In winter 160 and now in summer well if I was to 0 it with motorway driving and air-con 190 maybe? The most it has ever displayed from day 1 was 239. Just add a nice new tab for the people who car and call it "advanced telemetry option" and you can see all the stats right there on the big screen as you boost those electrons!
You mean like the energy usage tab that tells us that info and has for years now?

I don't know if it smoke and daggers. No device that has a rechargeable batter in it tells you how degraded the battery is. There is no EV or hybrid vehicle that tells you battery degradation. The miles written on the screen is a GUESS. The computer is guessing how much range YOU might get. Different people drive differently.

I don't know if it smoke and daggers. No device that has a rechargeable batter in it tells you how degraded the battery is. There is no EV or hybrid vehicle that tells you battery degradation. The miles written on the screen is a GUESS. The computer is guessing how much range YOU might get. Different people drive differently.

But it never shows the rated sold as range not even once? So that figure I just posted up is how close?

Ok let me put this another way. SR+ has a 50kwh pack yes? So that figure is correct I still have around it but is that before or after the 2-3kw buffer kept for after 0%? Because if that is the case how the hell am I going to get 240? I cant realistically I would only get less the 2-3kw and then add degradation no?

Last edited:
Ok let me put this another way. SR+ has a 50kwh pack yes? So that figure is correct I still have around it but is that before or after the 2-3kw buffer kept for after 0%? Because if that is the case how the hell am I going to get 240? I cant realistically I would only get less the 2-3kw and then add degradation no?
Look I don’t think it’s smoke and daggers as much as some engineers reworking the bms and not understanding human behavior very well. These aren’t social scientists or business strategists... they decided to write the code differently and use it different assumptions to achieve some outcome.

Reminds me of a college professor who took over for another professor half way through the semester and who spent the first class telling everyone he doesn’t believe in extra credit because it’s like setting your clock forward 15 minutes, and so everyone should know he’s getting rid of that.
Yeah sure the argument makes perfect sense but not helpful to those of us who just had our average grade suddenly drop 15 perceived of grade range... by the time he said “not to worry, the curve will take care of that” , everyone had tuned out and thought why did the evil witch professor just steal my 15 points? Burn him!!!

Reactions: gavine
Wait hold on I have lost 4+ KW is it 54?
Look I don’t think it’s smoke and daggers as much as some engineers reworking the bms and not understanding human behavior very well. These aren’t social scientists or business strategists... they decided to write the code differently and use it different assumptions to achieve some outcome.

Reminds me of a college professor who took over for another professor half way through the semester and who spent the first class telling everyone he doesn’t believe in extra credit because it’s like setting your clock forward 15 minutes, and so everyone should know he’s getting rid of that.
Yeah sure the argument makes perfect sense but not helpful to those of us who just had our average grade suddenly drop 15 perceived of grade range... by the time he said “not to worry, the curve will take care of that” , everyone had tuned out and thought why did the evil witch professor just steal my 15 points? Burn him!!!

Well I mean every time a new patch comes out sure it changes things but without basic metrics for the user they figured they lost 10 miles etc. If you had a face value of degradation since initial change and also percentage caused by lots of fast charging or home charging or maybe they get hardly any at all but its better communication. It also allows some form of justification if there is an issue. Buying and selling of these cars is also going to bring this figure up as people try to make sure to maximise their purchase. Just a layer for people who want to know what is going on. Its an important figure with EV’s.