Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else getting this range on there 2019 Tesla model 3 SR+?

Today morning I charged my vehicle to a 100% since delivery 5 months back, and noticed a significant drop in range. The first night after delivery I charged till 100% and it displayed 374km didn’t get close to 386km advertised range.

I was wondering is this a battery degradation or can it be a issue with battery.

I charge daily to 90%

Attachments

• 5910F1E9-E3E5-4977-855A-4948EEFCF859.jpeg
    5910F1E9-E3E5-4977-855A-4948EEFCF859.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 283

Today morning I charged my vehicle to a 100% since delivery 5 months back, and noticed a significant drop in range. The first night after delivery I charged till 100% and it displayed 374km didn’t get close to 386km advertised range.

I was wondering is this a battery degradation or can it be a issue with battery.

I charge daily to 90%

I charge daily to 90%

Forgot to mention now I get 359km at 100%

I charge daily to 90%
I see the temperature is 1 degC. I'm guessing the range in less because of the temperature, but not enough for the snow icon to show.
Preconditioning could help as it warms up the battery after the cabin is up to the set temp.

...Today morning I charged my vehicle to a 100% since delivery 5 months back, and noticed a significant drop in range...

I am with @donkemaen that there's a difference factor in ambient temperature.

EPA range was done in strict consistency in temperature and other factors as well.

Your range should decrease in cold winter as you can see right now and it should increase back to normal again in hot summer as you first tested 5 months back.

I have a June 2019 SR+ In chilly Ottawa.

I usually keep my battery on % display. Recently I flicked across to distance and at 90% it showed around 324km. I remember at the beginning of ownership it showed around 342km.

I haven’t charged to 100% recently but if I extrapolate my 90% or any other charge level back to 100% I am getting a theoretical 360km approx.

This is a 26km loss on original or around 7.5% in around 9 months!

This is not due to cold alone.

Check your true "warm range" by setting the battery limit to 100% in the app. While you're sliding, it gives you a preview of the charge amount on the left side of the battery. This is the expected range/percent in cold. For example, if you slide it all the way to the right but it displays 98%, then you know very roughly about 2% less is being displayed in the car due to cold.

At this temperature, I'd expect about a 2-3% reduction (this is recovered once the battery is warmer).

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
This is not due to cold alone.

Check your true "warm range" by setting the battery limit to 100% in the app. While you're sliding, it gives you a preview of the charge amount on the left side of the battery. This is the expected range/percent in cold. For example, if you slide it all the way to the right but it displays 98%, then you know very roughly about 2% less is being displayed in the car due to cold.

At this temperature, I'd expect about a 2-3% reduction (this is recovered once the battery is warmer).
100% in the app is not true warm range. It varies by ambient temp. Tesla tries to show you the reduction of range caused by cold battery. My leaf just magically looses it while driving.

100% in the app is not true warm range. It varies by ambient temp. Tesla tries to show you the reduction of range caused by cold battery. My leaf just magically looses it while driving.

I think we're simultaneously in agreement and disagreement?

The slider in the app reveals the target percentage for the current battery temperature. That is, it does actually change with temperature. If it shows 100% while sliding, that is within 0.5% of the "warm" ("true") capacity since it rounds up.

When I picked my Model3 SR+ up on September 28th, 2019 they had a deal going on where it would include 2 years of free charging. I commute from the East San Francisco Bay Area to the Valley as a RN several days a week, at the time I was spending about $25/day (~$100-125/week/~$500mo) on gas and when I was informed about the promotion for the model 3 I jumped on it. Due to not being able to charge at home, I have been using the super chargers since taking delivery. Since picking it up, I have lost MAJOR range. Range when I bought it was about 230+/- miles with a full (100%) charge. I have been charging it up to about 90% at the super chargers since taking delivery. 6 months (exactly to this day) later, my range is approximately 150+/- miles with a full (100%) charge and I now hit 21,000 on the odometer as of this morning. I haven’t changed my driving habits (don’t drive slow, but I don’t treat it like a race car). Anyone else having anything close to my problem? I know am one of the few people that have bought my car for the sole purpose to drive it and enjoy it as well as make it my daily. Tesla said that the battery is “smart and will notify me/them if something was not correct” but this doesn’t feel normal. I know some people are getting ~10% loss of range after a period of time/mileage however I am at almost a 40% loss of range in such a short amount of time. Any suggestions or tips? Or what should I do?

I actually took delivery at the same day September 28, 2019 with the free 2 year supercharging, but I only used supercharging for my daily charging for 3 months before I got tired of that. Since posting about this issue I lost another 9km on 90% SOC. I am still loosing km even though the weather is getting better. Is there anyone else going through the same issue?

Reactions: CGlennon
When I picked my Model3 SR+ up on September 28th, 2019 they had a deal going on where it would include 2 years of free charging. I commute from the East San Francisco Bay Area to the Valley as a RN several days a week, at the time I was spending about $25/day (~$100-125/week/~$500mo) on gas and when I was informed about the promotion for the model 3 I jumped on it. Due to not being able to charge at home, I have been using the super chargers since taking delivery. Since picking it up, I have lost MAJOR range. Range when I bought it was about 230+/- miles with a full (100%) charge. I have been charging it up to about 90% at the super chargers since taking delivery. 6 months (exactly to this day) later, my range is approximately 150+/- miles with a full (100%) charge and I now hit 21,000 on the odometer as of this morning. I haven’t changed my driving habits (don’t drive slow, but I don’t treat it like a race car). Anyone else having anything close to my problem? I know am one of the few people that have bought my car for the sole purpose to drive it and enjoy it as well as make it my daily. Tesla said that the battery is “smart and will notify me/them if something was not correct” but this doesn’t feel normal. I know some people are getting ~10% loss of range after a period of time/mileage however I am at almost a 40% loss of range in such a short amount of time. Any suggestions or tips? Or what should I do?
40% loss of range definitely not normal in that short period of time. I’d think that’d be covered under the battery warranty. In any case I’d have the SC take a look. Here’s a thread that may also help:
Reduced Range - Tesla Issued a Service Bulletin for possible fix

• Informative

Congrats, you get a new battery! Your battery has degraded beyond the warranty limit (70% of original capacity) while well within the time and mileage limit of the warranty. Bring it up to Tesla Service ASAP.

Hey, was wondering did anyone’s range improve with the current temperature?
I know that it hasn’t for me.

I charge daily to 90%

I did not have any range improvements with the current temperature.
Hot weathers means battery fans are working more often so there will be a reduce "range."

I do want to chime in on the range drop.

I purchased a LR AWD M3 with 25,000 miles as of today. I have seen a slow and consistent drop in my range since the purchase in July of 2019.
This car (at best) gets me 280ish miles before depletion back in 2019. I have never (ever) reached 300 miles till this day. It was advertised to reach 322 miles on an average of 240Wh/hr.

My most recent trip to Los Angeles was pretty disappointing. 220 miles total and I had to stop because it wouldnt make it on the charge because I had a remaining "30 miles" on tap but still had 50ish miles left to travel. The average on the trip? 245 Wh/hr.

My average daily drive from and to work with max regen as much as possible netted an avg consumption of <220 Wh/hr. The car ran a total of 250 miles until 3%.
PSI 45 all around and constant ambient temp.

Im frustrated but still delighted to drive. I am as confused and frustrated as some of the members who worry about range drop.