Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not have any range improvements with the current temperature.
Hot weathers means battery fans are working more often so there will be a reduce "range."

I do want to chime in on the range drop.

I purchased a LR AWD M3 with 25,000 miles as of today. I have seen a slow and consistent drop in my range since the purchase in July of 2019.
This car (at best) gets me 280ish miles before depletion back in 2019. I have never (ever) reached 300 miles till this day. It was advertised to reach 322 miles on an average of 240Wh/hr.

My most recent trip to Los Angeles was pretty disappointing. 220 miles total and I had to stop because it wouldnt make it on the charge because I had a remaining "30 miles" on tap but still had 50ish miles left to travel. The average on the trip? 245 Wh/hr.

My average daily drive from and to work with max regen as much as possible netted an avg consumption of <220 Wh/hr. The car ran a total of 250 miles until 3%.
PSI 45 all around and constant ambient temp.

Im frustrated but still delighted to drive. I am as confused and frustrated as some of the members who worry about range drop.
all depends how fast you drive. Drive 50 miles an hour you will get over 300 miles range

I thought Bjorn's follow-up theory was that Tesla increased the bottom margin so that vehicles would have less of a chance of shutting down before reaching "0 miles". This is different from the Model S full-charge capping some people are convinced is to reduce the risk of fire.
He wasn’t fully sure between two videos, it looks to be a combo of two things... including changing base assumption on wh/mi or something ... also I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla was making it look like regen was less available after A fake full charge... I was hoping to get @verygreen to find some nerfing code but he’s probably doing much more meaningful work and I don’t want to abuse requests for his superpowers ... in my conspiracy brain I was imagining dr evil saying let’s nerf everyone with the updates to stop the likelihood of charging fires and to make people only charge to 90% at superchargers... let’s convince them they are full so they don’t take up stalls... then we can get rich on 2017 model s idle charges

I just lost 5% of my range after my car was updated to 2020.16.2.1. I have always charged to 90% and I used to get ~222 miles. The next day after the update it dropped to 212. I tried charging to 100% to see what the max range would be and it was 237 miles.

Weather has been exactly the same so that isn't the reason. I'm not too happy about this. :(

I just lost 5% of my range after my car was updated to 2020.16.2.1. I have always charged to 90% and I used to get ~222 miles. The next day after the update it dropped to 212. I tried charging to 100% to see what the max range would be and it was 237 miles.

Weather has been exactly the same so that isn't the reason. I'm not too happy about this. :(

I doubt the actual range in the battery decreased. It's just the reporting algorithm that changed. Perhaps they decided to reserve more range after you hit zero on the display instead of zero being absolute. So, maybe now you can go 10 more miles after zero than before. Just a thought.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I doubt the actual range in the battery decreased. It's just the reporting algorithm that changed. Perhaps they decided to reserve more range after you hit zero on the display instead of zero being absolute. So, maybe now you can go 10 more miles after zero than before. Just a thought.

Maybe, but all I have to go by is the miles shown on the display. But more to the point, I bought a car with a stated range of 250 miles, not 237.

The car is only a few months old with less than 1000 miles on it.

Reactions: buttershrimp
The short answer to all of this is that it’s a software update issue. A month before I updated to a certain firmware late last year I charged my car to 311 range at 38,000 miles original range was 317....
Suddenly it drops to 295 .... software for sure, but I wish telsa would just explain the reason ... I think it is fire related since the is happened after a few charging induced fires. Perhaps fires only occurred when vehicles were set to charge to capacity? Anyone have thoughts? Bms is the issue right?

My theory is that when people see a range drop after software updates, it's because the BMS loses its place. If it happened to me, I'd try to recalibrate, charge it up high, then drive it down low, etc.

Does anyone know if the Max range changes when they change the trim on the website. For example, my max range was 310 miles when i bought the car. It now shows a revision of 299 miles on the webstie. Is my new baseline 299 miles or 310 miles?

15.5k miles.

LR RWD, daily charged to 65% (40 mile round trip). 90% on weekend trips (and to make sure BMS calculates properly).

Still shows 325 mile range. It will vary but lately I don't drive much, so the estimates are skewed a bit.

Metrics with Teslamate, but I had Teslafi for 10 months prior and the numbers were the same.

TtWCixr.png

edit: here's my teslafi chart. When I got the car it already had 325 mile range firmware, but Tesla backed it out 1 or 2 firmwares later, so I dropped down to 310. Took a while to recover.

7CJHjVm.png

I avoid keeping the car at high SoC by charging just before I leave for work. I think many with reduced capacity don't understand this chart and charge to 90% daily (not a big deal in winter climates, but not so good in the heat):

5v8jqIQ.png

Here's another one,. especially relevant now when people aren't driving much.

m8eRS4J.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
Not in a model three but the issues sound the same. My 2019 MS lost 10 miles immediately after it updated to 2020.12.x

On the TeslaFi Beta Battery Report that represented a drop from middle of the pack with like cars to lowest 5%. I am pretty sure that was software induced - not sure if it is real or accurate - Tesla says it is normal and that range is only an estimate.

15.5k miles.

LR RWD, daily charged to 65% (40 mile round trip). 90% on weekend trips (and to make sure BMS calculates properly).

Still shows 325 mile range. It will vary but lately I don't drive much, so the estimates are skewed a bit.

Metrics with Teslamate, but I had Teslafi for 10 months prior and the numbers were the same.

TtWCixr.png

edit: here's my teslafi chart. When I got the car it already had 325 mile range firmware, but Tesla backed it out 1 or 2 firmwares later, so I dropped down to 310. Took a while to recover.

7CJHjVm.png

I avoid keeping the car at high SoC by charging just before I leave for work. I think many with reduced capacity don't understand this chart and charge to 90% daily (not a big deal in winter climates, but not so good in the heat):

5v8jqIQ.png

Here's another one,. especially relevant now when people aren't driving much.

m8eRS4J.png
Excellent results. I vaguely recall the magic number was 3.92Volts, which was somewhere around 63% SOC, for minimal cathode cracking, etc.

SR+ ... never has had the range I paid $5,000 for. 228 on day one. 223 now.

Fleet average 232, now 228, during the period of my ownership.

I would recommend the SR or the LR. The SR seems to hit it's 220 reliably based on web board posts.

$3,000 or $5,000 for fog lights, immersive sound and 8 miles of range was a stupid purchase. It seemed really worth it for 30 miles more range.

Update on my range decrease:

I have run the car down to <5% once and <15% yesterday and it is still only showing the 90% at 214 miles. I really hate having to run the battery down because I would like to charge it to 90% every day. I was a little worried I'd have to find some place to plug in after a quick trip to a friend's house turned into to 50+ mile detour.