Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant ride comfort in MYP Performance with 19" Gemini wheels/ higher profile tires

WG21

Aug 21, 2021
Sacramento
This site has great information and also creates a great deal of panic before anyone takes ownership. Breathe. You don't have to modify just to modify. Suspension is also like ice cream -- different flavors for different tastes. Buy it. Drive it. Then decide without making rash decisions.

Destiny1701

M3 - Red Rocket
Nov 28, 2015
Canada
I’ve ordered an MY LR arriving in 3 weeks 😄and intend to add the boost option for that happy medium between max range, ride and acceleration. I considered the MYP until the 11th hour and then decided for an option that I feel may be the sweet spot.

MYLRw/boost seems to provide a nice balance between MLR and MYP.

I do have a set of 21” uber’s I’ve purchased off an MYP owner to use as my spring/summer set…while putting winter tires on the stock 19 Gemini’s.

Im hoping the 21’s on the LR suspension won’t be as harsh as the MYP’s lowered one? I also intend to run them with psi lowered enough to dampen some of the road bumps etc. I really wish there were softer shock options for the MY as my wife thinks the 2021 sR+ 3 we have with 18” rides like a go cart compared to the 100D 2018 S we used to have :(

DayTrippin

Apr 30, 2021
Jax
Ride quality is very subjective and road and driving conditions vary a lot. I have to say that my MYLR riding on the 19" (8.5" wide wheels) have turned out to be a great option in all areas. At about 4k miles, it has all come together. The suspension has broken in a bit, the tire/wheel combo works well and looks great. My wife almost never complains about any ride quality issues and the lighter wheels help the handling.

I get why people go with the MYP but I can say I honestly have no regrets changing my order from the MYP to the MYLR once I found out about boost. It is really the Goldilocks of the range for our family. Even towing a 3,000 pound trailer, it still drives well. This is one of the few times in my life that a vehicle has significantly exceeded my expectations. It has turned out so well for us, I am seriously rethinking if we need the Model S we ordered at the same time.

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
I’ve ordered an MY LR arriving in 3 weeks 😄and intend to add the boost option for that happy medium between max range, ride and acceleration. I considered the MYP until the 11th hour and then decided for an option that I feel may be the sweet spot.

MYLRw/boost seems to provide a nice balance between MLR and MYP.

I do have a set of 21” uber’s I’ve purchased off an MYP owner to use as my spring/summer set…while putting winter tires on the stock 19 Gemini’s.

Im hoping the 21’s on the LR suspension won’t be as harsh as the MYP’s lowered one? I also intend to run them with psi lowered enough to dampen some of the road bumps etc. I really wish there were softer shock options for the MY as my wife thinks the 2021 sR+ 3 we have with 18” rides like a go cart compared to the 100D 2018 S we used to have :(
The 21s have a 40 aspect ratio, right? Lowering the PSI will put the rim at risk of damage. I hope you've thought this through. ;)

ahmadr

Sep 2, 2016
North CA
If you switch to 19’s it will give you a similar ride quality to the LR. But that is by no means a good thing.

It goes from very very very harsh to very very harsh.
It will ride better, but it won’t match the LR. The performance suspension is stiffer and rides 0.6” lower than the LR

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
It will ride better, but it won’t match the LR. The performance suspension is stiffer and rides 0.6” lower than the LR
It is not stiffer but it is lower. Both suspension systems are equally bad.

It has to be the number one complaint Tesla receives about the vehicle.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC