Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant ride comfort in MYP Performance with 19" Gemini wheels/ higher profile tires

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
TheLex: The harshest I ever owned was a boosted 1993 Audi S4 with Bilsteins. I agree that the ride carried the expectation of possible harshness.

I've GOTTEN older (forget the "getting older!) I purchased the MPP coilovers, have them set very close to the softest compression. I'm very pleased with the control they have given the otherwise harsh and bounding OEM ride. (DFW aged conrete slabs) I'd like to try the Ohlins setup as yet another step-up in comfort, but not gonna spend the money.

Lexus ride? Nope. Not gonna happen.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
For the MY LR what tire would be good to go significantly up from "very very harsh"?
What do you mean by “significantly up from”?

If you are asking which set of 19” tires will improve ride quality, there really aren’t any. The 19’s are a mild improvement over the 21’s.

The core issue is the suspension. If you want a smoother ride, start there.

TheLex

Oct 29, 2014
NorCal
TheLex: The harshest I ever owned was a boosted 1993 Audi S4 with Bilsteins. I agree that the ride carried the expectation of possible harshness.

I've GOTTEN older (forget the "getting older!) I purchased the MPP coilovers, have them set very close to the softest compression. I'm very pleased with the control they have given the otherwise harsh and bounding OEM ride. (DFW aged conrete slabs) I'd like to try the Ohlins setup as yet another step-up in comfort, but not gonna spend the money.

Lexus ride? Nope. Not gonna happen.
The MPP coilovers look like a great system. And yes, I still find that the ride with the 19" wheels isn't all that great. However, above and beyond the cost of buying and installing coilovers, I'm loathe to giving Tesla and out when it comes to warrantying the vehicle. People like to quote Magnussen Moss Act but the reality is if a manufacturer wants to deny coverage, you're SOL even with an attorney on your side. You have to go hire a $500/hr attorney while the manufacturer has a fleet of them on retainer. They're not going to ever give in because it would set a precedent. There's a guy on the BMW forums with an M5 that tried to quote MM Act and hired an attorney. He spent thousands on fees only to give up in the end because he couldn't use his car in the meanwhile and BMW was content to run the clock and make him spend ever more money on his attorney. But I digress. With a vehicle like the MY, I'm going to probably limit my mods to changing the oem tires to a softer riding set after the oems wear out.

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
Great to see many comments about how MYP ride harshness is sometime blown out of proportion👍.

Due to lowered suspension, what is the height difference between a MYP and LR in stock form?
No measurements but you get the idea.

P 19"s vs LR 20"s on stock suspension/tires.

BTW, without blowing the difference in suspension out of wack, there is a difference - by how much, is subjective.
20211009_112556.jpg
20211020_210728.jpg
20211009_112518.jpg

Reactions: Noflash

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC