Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significantly higher miles on the car at delivery than on the sales contract

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a Model Y Performance yesterday that had been used as a demonstrator. It was delivered right to my driveway, and I found it there when I got home. So far, so good. I accepted delivery on the Tesla website to get access to the car. It was only then I I was able to see that the mileage on the car was 496 miles, when my contract said it had 343 miles. I can understand an additional 30 or so miles for the drive from the delivery center to my house, but there are an additional 120 unexplained miles.

When I called the delivery center to ask what had happened, the agent told me that I had gotten a cash discount for the 343 miles that were on it when I signed the contract and paid for it, and that it might have been used as a demo car from that time until the actual delivery to me.

My contention is that the car was mine when they took my payment in full, and that it shouldn't have been used after that other than to deliver it to me. I explained to the agent that the discount given to me was based on 343 miles, and now that there were more miles on it than we had agreed to in the contract, the should give me a larger discount. He refused.

This is my second Tesla. When I bought my Model 3 last year it had the mileage on it at delivery that was the same as in the contract.

Has anyone else had this experience? What was the ultimate outcome?

Reactions: DanCar
That's strange. I wish you luck but getting any satisfaction out of the Delivery Team after delivery is frustrating at best. Tesla took months to pay off my trade and then got a new payoff (after I made two more payments), and their response has been - no we didn't. I have the bank records to prove it, but 3 months later, they won't admit to underpaying the contractual amount.

Sometimes tesla will literally drive the car to your house for delivery, and then have the tesla employee uber back to the factory to make more deliveries. Someone probably took a few additional joy rides prior to OP getting their car.

That may be true, but if he paid for the car “in-full” prior to delivery, AND that car was considered “sold”, then the new owner should decide what price to charge Tesla per mile, as Tesla no longer has any rights to that car. But, that is in a perfect world.
That may be true. Would be interested to read the legalese in the agreement for at home delivery. Just understanding how Tesla operates folks should take care in their dealings. There are too many stories of trusting but not verifying information provided by Tesla Sales Advisors only to later find out, after accepting delivery, the information was incorrect. In most cases you have no recourse and just have to "suck it up". Why put yourself in those situations when you know better?

My model Y had 7 miles on the odometer at delivery. Anybody who picks up a car with more than 15 miles on the odometer means the car has been test driven by customer(s), taken for a joy ride by delivery team, or taken for a test drive to repair a defect to confirm a fix.

*both post on

Sheesh.
noticed your correction is 1 minute after the first post. You can edit your post for a short time,

Snap1.png

Honestly... buying a demo at 300 vs 500 miles will be the same. First 300 it was treated exactly the same as the last 200. You’ll have averages of people being gentle and others stomping on it. Most performance owners will also probably stomp on it more than 500 miles for the life of their car. If I were buying a demo unit these are the things I would think about before buying a demo unit versus new.

Glass half full: usually if a car will have issues it’s found in the early stages. Those people QA’d it for you for free and resulted in no issues.

Grand scheme of things, if paint and alignment looks good. I’d just move on as “I bought a demo” and got a great deal. That’s just my .02