Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for legacy Model S/X with MCU1 (2022.8.10.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The technician's response seems to be assuming your vehicle is HW1 with a single front camera (monocam) and no repeater cameras. Maybe they got confused about HW1 vs MCU1 whereas you have HW2 cameras and previously did HW2 computer -> FSD upgrade already I believe?
Itā€™s a confusing topic especially depending upon how much info the owner has and how they articulated it.

I posted my response from service that gave a pretty clear line of next steps until we can actually use FSD Beta and the cameras that will be replaced.

The chances of us getting those camera upgrades soon is slim
Some people (unconfirmed?) have been successful in getting Tesla Service to replace RCCC cameras with RCCB for their MCU1 vehicles. With 2022.8.10.8, people are at least able to see whether or not their vehicles need a camera retrofit as those made between August 2017 and March 2018 came with MCU1 + HW2.5/RCCB cameras. But there are indeed a lot more vehicles from October 2016 to August 2017 that came with MCU1 + HW2/RCCC cameras now needing retrofits.

Unclear if Safety Score factors into MCU1 vehicles getting prioritized for camera retrofits, but getting FSD Beta software hasn't required Safety Score since Thanksgiving. The text on the support page might be outdated now that requirement has changed?

We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows. Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores containing Intel AtomĀ® infotainment processors and then to those containing NVIDIAĀ® TegraĀ® processors.​

I went in for my hood release recall recently...It looked like half the service techs/advisors were still in middle school when I bought FSD in 2017. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I'm going to play Mr optimist and say it does work on MCU1. They've done (hopefully extensive) testing, and that's how they know that cameras need updating before it can officially roll out to us. šŸ˜ƒ Or maybe I'm just a sucker. šŸ˜†
I'm starting to get the feeling that the new cameras can't feed MCU1. It's super choppy video already...imagine adding more color! LOL

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
ā€¦if the feed is super blocky/choppy already, how do new cameras fix that?
It doesnā€™t get fixed, but it doesnā€™t need to. FSD (HWx) doesnā€™t see how the video gets processed or recorded on the MCU.

I suspect the new 4k camera streams from next year would look that bad on MCU2.

Imagine what next yearā€™s 4k streams from the cameras would do to MCU1.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbldwn02
2016.5 MX > FSD paid at purchase: After over 6 months of working with various Service locations, they expressed that MCU1 would not receive FSD Beta. Updated to MCU2 and the vehicle errored on the updated cameras. Reviewed the upgraded cameras installed in July to find out that one camera was not supported. Little over a week ago, the vehicle went in and regional Tesla techs poured over the vehicle to discover a conflict that required a full day of reviewing by the entire team. They believe to have fixed the issue for more than just my vehicle, however they updated the software from 36 to 40. This sets the vehicle back inline to wait for the 44 release in the months to come. :/

It looks like there's a big push of this version 2022.8.10.8 today to maybe most (>50%) of MCU1 fleet. Are there any here that have received it and pushed the FSD Beta request button with the app's Safety Score section *not* showing the error message about incompatible cameras?

Only vehicles made between August 2017 and March 2018 should have no error message in the app as these vehicles came with MCU1 and HW2.5/RCCB cameras. Whereas those made from October 2016 and August 2017 came with MCU1 and HW2/RCCC cameras and likely need replacement.

Reactions: TessieRed
It looks like there's a big push of this version 2022.8.10.8 today to maybe most (>50%) of MCU1 fleet. Are there any here that have received it and pushed the FSD Beta request button with the app's Safety Score section *not* showing the error message about incompatible cameras?

Only vehicles made between August 2017 and March 2018 should have no error message in the app as these vehicles came with MCU1 and HW2.5/RCCB cameras. Whereas those made from October 2016 and August 2017 came with MCU1 and HW2/RCCC cameras and likely need replacement.
My 2017 P100D got a notification for this update. I haven't done it yet. Not sure if/when I will since I have EAP and really no desire to pay any amount of money to "upgrade" to FSD given the current feature set differences, or lack thereof.

Hey all, I have a FSD 2016 MCU 1.0 with HW 3.0 upgrade and I recall they had replaced my cameras when they did the 3.0 upgrade, but last week my car wasnā€™t prompting me for the software upgrade so I was a bit frustrated. I had another service center appointment scheduled already for later that week so I tacked on a camera upgrade in case there was still something wrong. They did find that they needed a swap and did it (no mention of batches or VIN eligiblity though I suppose I may have been in the lucky batch) and as soon as I picked up the car today I got the 2022.10.8.10 notification. An hour or so later I got my button! No safety score in app (may now be legacy) and havenā€™t gone out for a drive (waiting for wifey to come home to watch the kiddos) so Iā€™ll report back asap if my car actually has FSD Beta!

today I got the 2022.10.8.10 notification. An hour or so later I got my button! No safety score in app (may now be legacy) and havenā€™t gone out for a drive (waiting for wifey to come home to watch the kiddos) so Iā€™ll report back asap if my car actually has FSD Beta!
If the Safety Score view in the app is still behaves like last year, you need to take a trip that exceeds the minimum distance for Safety Score: 0.1 miles, and park and exit the vehicle. Then you can look for the warning/error as shared by OP:

3daef442-3d0a-49ee-a5fa-d1f2f920ce75-png.882668

If you don't see the warning, you may have indeed been quite lucky to get RCCB camera retrofit for your MCU1 2016 vehicle. But to be clear, 2022.10.8.10 is *not* FSD Beta -- it just has the button to request, and you'll need to wait until Tesla is adding more people, but that could be as soon as today if eligible to upgrade to 2022.40.4.10 / FSD Beta 10.69.3.3.

Hey all, I have a FSD 2016 MCU 1.0 with HW 3.0 upgrade and I recall they had replaced my cameras when they did the 3.0 upgrade, but last week my car wasnā€™t prompting me for the software upgrade so I was a bit frustrated. I had another service center appointment scheduled already for later that week so I tacked on a camera upgrade in case there was still something wrong. They did find that they needed a swap and did it (no mention of batches or VIN eligiblity though I suppose I may have been in the lucky batch) and as soon as I picked up the car today I got the 2022.10.8.10 notification. An hour or so later I got my button! No safety score in app (may now be legacy) and havenā€™t gone out for a drive (waiting for wifey to come home to watch the kiddos) so Iā€™ll report back asap if my car actually has FSD Beta!
Thanks for coming to the thread and letting us know. If you could please keep up updated we would all greatly appreciate it.

I really hope you are one of the first lucky ones!

I managed to get 2022.8.10.8 installed today on my December 2017 Model S 100D (still on original MCU1 [eMMC replaced during recall], but with upgraded FSD computer). No warnings or issues with cameras, and was able to press the request button successfully (ticking all three boxes). However, I can't see my Safety Score in the iOS app (upgraded to latest version, forced quit, logged in and out, still nothing there in the navigation).

I managed to get 2022.8.10.8 installed today on my December 2017 Model S 100D (still on original MCU1 [eMMC replaced during recall], but with upgraded FSD computer). No warnings or issues with cameras, and was able to press the request button successfully (ticking all three boxes). However, I can't see my Safety Score in the iOS app (upgraded to latest version, forced quit, logged in and out, still nothing there in the navigation).
Your eligibility will be known once you receive your safety score. At that point you will know if you truly have access to FSD.

The screen will look like this

Attachments

• 7199DD8B-410B-4504-8ABC-2BE5DE5D6085.png
    7199DD8B-410B-4504-8ABC-2BE5DE5D6085.png
    203 KB · Views: 100
  • 575F213E-D40F-43DB-BD28-BA191DE25C14.jpeg
    575F213E-D40F-43DB-BD28-BA191DE25C14.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 45
Back 2 months ago I was able to schedule the camera upgrade for my 2017 once I got that message ("Camera(s) need replacement") in the app. But I have had the MCU2 upgrade.

A ranger came out and did the replacement at my house. It was interesting -- and nerve wracking -- watching him take the side glass off between the front and rear doors. I truly thought things would get broken with how hard he had to pull on it to separate the glue.

Reactions: TessieRed