Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for legacy Model S/X with MCU1 (2022.8.10.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service has updated my cameras, picking up the car tomorrow. I notice that the car is updating to 2022.8.10.11 again, the first update (about a week ago) failed. Was hoping for 10.10, I'll ask them tomorrow what I should expect from it.

Last edited:
Installed 2022.8.10.11. HW3, MCU1, 8GB eMMC, original cameras. Request for FSD button pressed, no safety score in app, no message saying I have to upgrade my cameras. Accumulated at least 100km in autopilot kms. Car is reaching 6 years old in 2 months. Paid for FSD at the time of purchase. Common Tesla, show us early adopters some love.

C230FBF6-5974-4126-B6B7-9CC1A0DEBC70.jpeg

Installed 2022.8.10.11. HW3, MCU1, 8GB eMMC, original cameras. Request for FSD button pressed, no safety score in app, no message saying I have to upgrade my cameras. Accumulated at least 100km in autopilot kms. Car is reaching 6 years old in 2 months. Paid for FSD at the time of purchase. Common Tesla, show us early adopters some love.

View attachment 927416

Right now I don't think they're adding anyone new to the FSD Beta program... my understanding is that it's tied to the "recall" -- once that rollout is complete, I'd expect the gates to open again.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I read in another post they want us to pay for the Infotainment upgrade to get FSD.
Anyone else been told this?

Reactions: Solar40
I read in another post they want us to pay for the Infotainment upgrade to get FSD.
Anyone else been told this?
That link says early versions will have to pay to play. But if you wait for the official version it will work with mcu1

So, all speculation.

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
Thank you. So are there folks currently running FSD on their MCU1 with upgraded cameras?
I am...got it 2 months after I upgraded the cameras and a month before they recalled FSD. It works just as well as MCU2 FSD, which doesn't mean much since both are pretty terrible. I miss radar and hate phantom braking on hills. I might switch back once the novelty has wore off.

I am...got it 2 months after I upgraded the cameras and a month before they recalled FSD. It works just as well as MCU2 FSD, which doesn't mean much since both are pretty terrible. I miss radar and hate phantom braking on hills. I might switch back once the novelty has wore off.
Curious if you received a recall letter from Tesla or any recall communication about the version of FSD on your car?

Wondering if Tesla plans to push out 11.x to MCU1 anytime soon or if the NHSTA will keep the recall open until Tesla address MCU1's FSD as well.

Reactions: Solar40
I received the recall letter but it didn’t include details of when the update will be available or any other tidbits. Will update the thread whenever I get more info.

I’ve noticed a lot fewer disengagements/interventions needed on city streets. FSD is still not at all perfect but it does improve overtime as the car sees the same streets over and over. For example I had a spot where the car kept signaling left and moving into the left turn lane with no left turn on nav and otherwise straight road. It’s stopped doing that after about the 5th disengagement. Also the car gives an excellent amount of room around bicycles or people entering parked cars and still avoiding oncoming traffic; feels truly human like in many case. All this improvement and the stack hasn’t seen an update since the initial MCU 1 deployment 10.8.10.10

Reactions: Deftdawg
I got late 2016 S and still waiting for FSD. Camera's were upgraded on my car in Feb.

No score in app, no update just sitting in Queue.

Read someone did opt-out and out back in again and got FSD.... nothing even after 1 month.

Want FSD for city driving :(

I'm going to guess that hold up in getting a new build > 11.36.1 for MCU1 cars is that Tesla are struggling to get the ancient "Nvidia Tegra 2" in the IC to be performant enough to display the visualisations stream being sent from the HW3 AP computer.

The good new is the FSD Recall FAQ page seems to suggest that the FSD rollout to all new Tesla vehicles is paused until the Tegra software can be patched - so pressure will mount. Tesla best figure this out soon because it will be very embarrassing for them that customers who purchase HW4 cars delivered after Feb 16 (or newly sub to FSD HW3 since Feb 16) are waiting for months and months to get FSD because they can't close off the recall on account of unpatched Tegras.

I was able to get FSD beta in late January in my MX ‘17 MCU1/HW3. The visualizations work really well given the hardware limitations, but I suspect they don’t want to do a mass rollout on MCU1 because of stability issues. After the .10 update I have to do a 4 finger reset every couple of days otherwise the MCU is unusable, plus there are random issues (for example the cabin AC turned on full blast for over an hour when the car was off and charging in my garage on a 70F night; at first I thought it was the cabin overheat protection but when I opened the driver’s door it stopped but the cabin was freezing). The .8 release was very stable by comparison. I would not be surprised if the new visualizations have a slow memory leak which has simply not been an issue for MCU2+ hardware. That said, FSDb is fun to play with despite the expected frequent poor decisions.
I was updated early Jan and I have not had any problems. FSD BETA works better than expected

Reactions: CodemanCMC
MCU 1 - FSD CHIP - 2017 MODEL X - EMMC Recall Done - Purchased FSD Years Ago... - on 2022.8.10.12 - cameras upgraded in march 2023 - still no FSD BETA.

service center keeps brushing me off. no help. i will upgrade to mcu 2 the moment i see my mcu 1 get the beta...i just want to see that they fulfill their promises to the original owners. i have a plaid with fsd as my daily. just trying to get what we paid for. cause our X has free supercharging but we dont travel with it on long trips cause we want to use FSD.

Reactions: Evee and Solar40
MCU 1 - FSD CHIP - 2017 MODEL X - EMMC Recall Done - Purchased FSD Years Ago... - on 2022.8.10.12 - cameras upgraded in march 2023 - still no FSD BETA.

service center keeps brushing me off. no help. i will upgrade to mcu 2 the moment i see my mcu 1 get the beta...i just want to see that they fulfill their promises to the original owners. i have a plaid with fsd as my daily. just trying to get what we paid for. cause our X has free supercharging but we dont travel with it on long trips cause we want to use FSD.
I think you have an easy case in small claims court. Sue for $2500 (about the cost of MCU2 with FM radio and taxes). Get MCU2 for free and then FSD the same day. Win/Win

I have MCU1 and FSD so I probably wouldn't win in small claims.

Reactions: H4RDWRK