Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signs that Tesla is delivering LR RWD 3’s to cash buyers earlier?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ditto. Most of the cars bring delivered after the 6/27 orders are outside California.
The common denominator to me seems to be Aero wheels. I’ve seen very few configs with sport wheels being assigned VINs/ delivered.

Also, white and red ext colors in CA seem to be in short supply according to Troy's spreadsheet. I'm a 4/1 rez, 6/27 config, LR RWD Aero PUP White, all cash, no trade-in, live 10 min from the Fremont factory. No VIN yet, but can't complain when ppl like Missy are out there who config'd in April.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
I think its because Tesla back-stocked cars all over the country (except bay area) and many folks are getting their cars really quick because the cars are there....just my .02

That appears to be the case ... wonder why they ignored their own backyard.

I had a credit union loan and the time from first contact from my ISA to delivery was only five days (June 27-July 2). Config to delivery was about 8 weeks (May 6-July 2).

No trade-in so it is possible that speeds things up.

What color and when did you reserve?

My order is in as cash (financing outside of Tesla...but they don't know that)..
I would be very careful. If you are getting a loan from any reputable financial institution, they are going to.want the title to the car. It's their way of ensuring that you are going to.pay off the loan. On the other hand, if you are getting the money from relatives then it's up to.them to trust you :) .

I would be very careful. If you are getting a loan from any reputable financial institution, they are going to.want the title to the car. It's their way of ensuring that you are going to.pay off the loan. On the other hand, if you are getting the money from relatives then it's up to.them to trust you :) .
I’m working with a credit union that has loaned many loans to Tesla owners so they know the process pretty well... :)

I believe that Tesla needs to know if a lender is involved since they have to send the title to the correct person/entity. If your credit union is loaning you the cash they are still the legal owners until you pay off the loan. All I'm saying is that Tesla will know one way or the other that you are financing, not paying with "cash".

This holds true for my case: cash + no trade in. I had a <2 weeks turnaround from ordering to delivery. I sat on my invite for the last 5 months but then finally pulled the trigger.

I wasn't a first day reservation holder but to my surprise I was even given a little Model 3 car! It's not the same color as the real car but I'll take it!

You don’t think they already have a prioritization system in place...?

They would just need to add one variable to it - an hour of work to save 833 hours for every 10’000 vehicles delivered.
Yes, I don’t think they already have a prioritisation system in place.
Like every other company on this planet they will take every order as soon as the buyer is prepared to sign on the dotted line.

Yes, I don’t think they already have a prioritisation system in place.
Like every other company on this planet they will take every order as soon as the buyer is prepared to sign on the dotted line.

If they had no prioritization system in place they'd be delivering cars to Europe and Australia today. They're obviously not doing that. So they're prioritizing U.S. orders... hence they have a prioritization system.

Other companies are happy spending 3 to 4 hours to sell a car. Tesla takes 10 minutes to sign and deliver - it's a very different model.

After taking a quick look at Troy's workbook, it seems pretty clear that Tesla is now feverishly matching pre-built Model 3s that were stockpiled around the USA during June, with configuring buyers and getting those inventory cars out of holding lots and into delivery centers as quickly as possible. Those who configure a LR, in a color and wheel package that already rests in a regional holding lot, are going to get a VIN assignment really quickly and delivery shortly thereafter. No trade? Even better...not only does that simplify the process for Tesla, but it prevents Tesla from having to find space for the traded-in metal before the wholesaler picks it up to drag it to the nearest auction. Delivery centers don't have much space, particularly for a flood of inbound Model 3s PLUS a flood of traded in ICEs. This "pig in the python" peak due to holding back finished cars in June (presumably to prevent selling the 200,000th Tesla in the US in Q2) will work its way through during July/August and frankly very likely become the new normal since the factory will keep cranking out ~5k/wk in the meantime (presumably primarily for CA configurers that are easier to transport while the pig/python metaphor works itself out in the rest of the US in the coming weeks). Regardless, this is all incredibly good news for buyers...the floodgates have finally opened and that means lots of happy new owners soon enough.

After taking a quick look at Troy's workbook, it seems pretty clear that Tesla is now feverishly matching pre-built Model 3s that were stockpiled around the USA during June, with configuring buyers and getting those inventory cars out of holding lots and into delivery centers as quickly as possible. Those who configure a LR, in a color and wheel package that already rests in a regional holding lot, are going to get a VIN assignment really quickly and delivery shortly thereafter. No trade? Even better...not only does that simplify the process for Tesla, but it prevents Tesla from having to find space for the traded-in metal before the wholesaler picks it up to drag it to the nearest auction. Delivery centers don't have much space, particularly for a flood of inbound Model 3s PLUS a flood of traded in ICEs. This "pig in the python" peak due to holding back finished cars in June (presumably to prevent selling the 200,000th Tesla in the US in Q2) will work its way through during July/August and frankly very likely become the new normal since the factory will keep cranking out ~5k/wk in the meantime (presumably primarily for CA configurers that are easier to transport while the pig/python metaphor works itself out in the rest of the US in the coming weeks). Regardless, this is all incredibly good news for buyers...the floodgates have finally opened and that means lots of happy new owners soon enough.

This seems to explain a lot of what is happening now. Delivery centers don't have many lots. They are trying to sychronize shipping dates with the date on which a customer is availabe for pickup. They pushed my ship date by 3 days so that they could fit it within a 5 day window when I was in the country for pickup. The car arrived in TX the evening before my scheduled pickup date of 6/30.

Reactions: suwaneedad
If they had no prioritization system in place they'd be delivering cars to Europe and Australia today. They're obviously not doing that. So they're prioritizing U.S. orders... hence they have a prioritization system.

Other companies are happy spending 3 to 4 hours to sell a car. Tesla takes 10 minutes to sign and deliver - it's a very different model.
We are taking about prioritisation by order type, specifically processing orders faster for cash buyers. Stop grasping for straws (or straw men).

Well here is something to chew on...two configurations in the same area with similar configurations. One financing and one paying cash.

My Details:
3/31/16 Reservation
2/22 invite
4/30 config
5/20 July delay Email
No contact / No VIN
Non-Owner
Red/Sport/EAP
Selected Fremont for Delivery
All boxes have been checked
----------------------------------------------------------
Reported details by other forum member
Reserved 3/31/16 at Palo Alto Tesla dealer
Invite to configure: 3/27/18
Config: 6/17 Red, Sport, PUP, LR
All green checks except financing (using outside)
Edit button disappeared late yesterday
Just called Tesla (answered in less than 10 mins) and confirmation of VIN/ISA assigned to me. Was told ISA should be in touch next week and while no promises should expect delivery within next 2 weeks.

Heck I even got invited sooner and configured sooner :rolleyes:

Reactions: MissyMcBee
I reserved first day in store, ordered 6/30/2018 with LR-RWD Pearl White, in South Orange County, CA. Cash, no trade in, and I have yet to receive any communication. Oct '18 - Dec'18 window.
Wtf? You’re a day one in store reservation holder and you won’t be getting your car until at least Oct 18? That’s outrageous especially considering people who reserved much later have already received their vehicles (according to the threads in the forums). I had a May-July 18 config date but canceled two months ago. Waiting for leasing to open up. Good luck. You’re a lot more patient than me.