Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sigs not compatible with battery swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll be faster than that. Well, the batteries will be able to charge faster than that at least. The problem will be where to get that kind of power in that short of time without each supercharger having a mini nuclear reactor power station lol

Local large versions of powerwalls stored on site to suck up electricity when the demand is low and spit it out in combination with grid draw to provide much more power in a short period of time. Some sites will be augmented with solar as well.

This thread reminds me of the online discussion around every product Apple has made in the last 10 years. Well, except for the part that we're talking about an expensive car.

As a software developer, I'm probably more willing to embrace the rate of change, ambiguity and sometimes disappointment around the ongoing evolution of the Model S, but I can understand the frustration of early adopters. Mostly. It does strike me as a little strange when we're talking about a feature that was largely experimental, and in retrospect, not a particularly great idea.

Signature owners were the first ones to experience driving a Model S. At the time of delivery it was the best EV ever, by far. Those cars (and their owners) were the talk of the town. That's what they got for paying the "sig tax". Surely such early adopters of a tech product would understand that later versions would have improvements that may not all be backwards compatible. The first iPhone was an amazing product at the time, but remember it couldn't run the third party apps that were developed for iPhone 3G a year later. We're just not used to cars improving at that rate.

I only partly agree with this. As an early adopter I knew later cars would get better, and I had and currently have no issue with that. If I want more, I'll pay to upgrade (and I have on some items that mattered to me).

I think, however, that you don't really know what "sig tax" means by your usage here. The sig tax refers to us paying MORE for the SAME configuration that a non-sig got (yes, our cars cost more, we got LESS options to choose from, and in my case, Tesla screwed up to the point where my sig was delivered AFTER normal production cars began delivery).

pretty sure that in 2011 the 'battery swap in 5 minutes' was listed as a feature
fast charge was also.
will look for my advertisement postcard to back this up

I checked various snapshots at the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012 and it's not listed. Doesn't mean it wasn't at some point:

Model S Features | Tesla Motors

But I see you already found some source for it.

Make a fuss about promises made at the time of order confirmation, not a year before or a year after. My Sig is close to the OP's VIN, if there's to be a fuss about say 'on-board music storage' I'll have more sympathy but I checked through my paperwork and there's nothing about battery swapping.

Interesting viewpoint that all features of a car need to be listed on the paperwork. I totally, strongly disagree. When JB said (or the brochure pointed out by Zextraterrestrial) the Model S was designed for fast pack swaps in 2011 I understood that to mean I would be able to take advantage of the technology were it to ever become available. I dunno, seems pretty clear cut to me. But everyone's entitled to their viewpoint.

It does strike me as a little strange when we're talking about a feature that was largely experimental, and in retrospect, not a particularly great idea.

I think it's a fantastic idea along the 5 and it turns out it is being used heavily. According to Owner's blog, a lot of people agree with me.

Tesla set his expectations of fast pack swapping capability from the outset and failed to deliver on that promise.

That is incorrect. I'll repeat what I said early...the OP's battery can in fact be swapped out, it just (apparently) can't be done at the Harris Ranch Battery Swap Station for some reason/s that none of us are privy to, but likely has to do with some sort of engineering change/s between the time of Sig production and the deployment of the first (and seemingly last) battery swap station.

That is incorrect. I'll repeat what I said early...the OP's battery can in fact be swapped out, it just (apparently) can't be done at the Harris Ranch Battery Swap Station for some reason/s that none of us are privy to, but likely has to do with some sort of engineering change/s between the time of Sig production and the deployment of the first (and seemingly last) battery swap station.

Nonsense. The Roadster battery CAN be swapped out. The promises Tesla made to Sig owners were much more specific, namely, en route battery swapping at a roadside station. Playing around with the idea that anything is possible to support the notion that Tesla delivered on this particular promise is, frankly, a silly argument not worthy to be afforded much weight. You are correct about one thing, Sig battery packs are incapable of fast swapping at 100% of Tesla's swap stations.

The Roadster battery can be swapped out it just (apparently) can't be done at the Harris Ranch Battery Swap Station for some reason/s that none of us are privy to, but likely has to do with some sort of engineering change/s between the time of Roadster production and the deployment of the first (and seemingly last) battery swap station. See, I can do it too, it's a true statement but a terrible argument. Imagine if Tesla had implemented Supercharging that left out Sig owners, saying that design specs had changed and the older cars are no longer compatible. Better yet, imagine the reaction if, in a few months Tesla realizes the first Models S sold on the promise of future auto pilot features were not capable of reading speed limit signs and just say they're sorry but there's been an engineering change so that's not going to happen. I don't predict that will happen but it could; anything's possible.

The facts are these:
- Tesla advertised en route battery swapping as a feature on Model S as early as 2011.
- Tesla sold cars to sig owners based, in part, on that promise.
- Sig cars are not compatible with the battery swap station.

Conclusion:
- Until Tesla demonstrates fast swapping compatibility with Sig owners they haven't fulfilled part of the bargained for exchange.

I am a huge Tesla fan. Tesla needs to make good on the wild promises it makes regarding future features when it sells cars based on those features being available later. Those two statements are not inconsistent.

The facts are these:

Where exactly do you get that fact? The original poster was informed that his car falls in a VIN range that was flagged by engineering as being incompatible with the Harris Ranch station. So far that's all we know. Nothing except the title of this thread ever said anything about signature cars.

Not to get too off topic here but there are many other "promises" Tesla has made that they have not delivered on remember the "Lighted Vanity Mirror" saga? I don't know anyone that has these either. Part of the confusion is that Tesla is marketing the car as a Model S across all model years and with the updates they are doing rendering some Model S' incompatible. Perhaps Tesla should take a page out of Apple's book and call them Late 2012 Model S, Early 2013 Model S etc to avoid confusion that all Model S' are compatible with announced upgrades past present and future.

I have a Vin in the 2000s and seem to be in a minority of folks in CA with an 85 that have not received an invite. My buddy has a sig and did a receive an invite for a swap, which initially makes me question the premise of this thread - however, he had his battery changed out after a year (A pack for D) due to a 'proactive service.'. To me, this sounds like an A battery issue and not a sig issue. Anyone with an A pack do the swap yet?

Where exactly do you get that fact? The original poster was informed that his car falls in a VIN range that was flagged by engineering as being incompatible with the Harris Ranch station. So far that's all we know. Nothing except the title of this thread ever said anything about signature cars.

Very possible. No one knows besides ' Tesla'. And I am pretty sure the card I posted was from 2010 when I put my deposit down. Not that it matterz. I also thought many ca residents were invited to the swap program. Are there any early 2012 car owners who have done it?...^ with A batteries? I have a B. And I kind of hope they step up and give all sigs 90's!!! Use the a's for SC storage

I have a Vin in the 2000s and seem to be in a minority of folks in CA with an 85 that have not received an invite. My buddy has a sig and did a receive an invite for a swap, which initially makes me question the premise of this thread - however, he had his battery changed out after a year (A pack for D) due to a 'proactive service.'. To me, this sounds like an A battery issue and not a sig issue. Anyone with an A pack do the swap yet?

Similar situation here. My VIN is in the mid-6000's with an A pack (non-Sig P85) and live in CA but was not invited for swapping. I think this is more likely related to A packs than Sig's.

Nonsense. The Roadster battery CAN be swapped out. The promises Tesla made to Sig owners were much more specific, namely, en route battery swapping at a roadside station. Playing around with the idea that anything is possible to support the notion that Tesla delivered on this particular promise is, frankly, a silly argument not worthy to be afforded much weight. You are correct about one thing, Sig battery packs are incapable of fast swapping at 100% of Tesla's swap stations.

The Roadster battery can be swapped out it just (apparently) can't be done at the Harris Ranch Battery Swap Station for some reason/s that none of us are privy to, but likely has to do with some sort of engineering change/s between the time of Roadster production and the deployment of the first (and seemingly last) battery swap station. See, I can do it too, it's a true statement but a terrible argument. Imagine if Tesla had implemented Supercharging that left out Sig owners, saying that design specs had changed and the older cars are no longer compatible. Better yet, imagine the reaction if, in a few months Tesla realizes the first Models S sold on the promise of future auto pilot features were not capable of reading speed limit signs and just say they're sorry but there's been an engineering change so that's not going to happen. I don't predict that will happen but it could; anything's possible.

The facts are these:
- Tesla advertised en route battery swapping as a feature on Model S as early as 2011.
- Tesla sold cars to sig owners based, in part, on that promise.

Conclusion:
- Until Tesla demonstrates fast swapping compatibility with Sig owners they haven't fulfilled part of the bargained for exchange.

I am a huge Tesla fan. Tesla needs to make good on the wild promises it makes regarding future features when it sells cars based on those features being available later. Those two statements are not inconsistent.

Not quite. The Roadster pack can be swapped out but it takes multiple people and 4+ hours to do so. Not quick a quick swap station.

Tesla didn't talk about swap stations, just that the pack can be swapped out in 5 min. That is technically true and could be done at a service station. Which battery would you get in place? That blurb says nothing about a battery swap program. I have a very early sig and never expected battery swapping.

Very interesting data point. I had not considered this circumstance. Regardless, I'll be knocking on Tesla's door Friday so they had better have a clear, convincing explanation put together by then because I'm not happy with the way it's being handled.

Very interesting data point. I had not considered this circumstance. Regardless, I'll be knocking on Tesla's door Friday so they had better have a clear, convincing explanation put together by then because I'm not happy with the way it's being handled.

Hopefully you given Tesla a heads up that you're planning to ask them? Going into a service center and demanding a answer is likely not to get you very far.

How often were you planing on swapping your pack? What if Tesla charges the $50 or so dollars they might charge one day if they ever roll this out?

Their other option is to simply shut the station down so it's 'fair' to everyone that way.

image.jpg
pretty sure that in 2011 the 'battery swap in 5 minutes' was listed as a feature
fast charge was also.
will look for my advertisement postcard to back this up