Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sigs not compatible with battery swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully you given Tesla a heads up that you're planning to ask them? Going into a service center and demanding a answer is likely not to get you very far.

I'm not sure how else one would do it. I'm not going to charge into them "demanding an answer." Never done that before and never will. Instead, I run things up the chain of command by having a simple line item on my repair order to address the issue where I will also ask for a concise explanation.

Never read past that point because anyone who has to start with an intended insult...well, you fill in the blank.

I talk up Tesla at car shows, at work, at meetings, in parking lots, and basically everywhere else too. My car and yours are great. That doesn't mean I have to like every thing the company does and defend them in every matter. I used the label because some people do defend them alot when it really doesn't make sense to do so. Calling a few of us out and saying "it wasn't an advertised feature" is just wrong. It's very insulting. This thread proves that.

I got interested and put a reservation and bought stock in 2010. I saw the quick charge and battery swaps as great options. I upgraded to a Sig because I thought the bonuses and promises would be fulfilled and fulfilled early. I got my Sig after many missed windows and after regular production cars went out. Many announcements have happened since that simply say the entire fleet but what they mean is the entire newer fleet.

Love the car. Stop making promises that can't be fulfilled and start speaking clearly about the ones you can. I don't want to hear legalese from Elon but the company should have a good looking and presentable way to share specifics with each major announcement. Communication is a major weakness, and it will eventually bite them as wider markets come about. I want this EV thing to last. There is little room for error.

Nonsense. The Roadster battery CAN be swapped out. The promises Tesla made to Sig owners were much more specific, namely, en route battery swapping at a roadside station. Playing around with the idea that anything is possible to support the notion that Tesla delivered on this particular promise is, frankly, a silly argument not worthy to be afforded much weight. You are correct about one thing, Sig battery packs are incapable of fast swapping at 100% of Tesla's swap stations.

The Roadster battery can be swapped out it just (apparently) can't be done at the Harris Ranch Battery Swap Station for some reason/s that none of us are privy to, but likely has to do with some sort of engineering change/s between the time of Roadster production and the deployment of the first (and seemingly last) battery swap station. See, I can do it too, it's a true statement but a terrible argument. Imagine if Tesla had implemented Supercharging that left out Sig owners, saying that design specs had changed and the older cars are no longer compatible. Better yet, imagine the reaction if, in a few months Tesla realizes the first Models S sold on the promise of future auto pilot features were not capable of reading speed limit signs and just say they're sorry but there's been an engineering change so that's not going to happen. I don't predict that will happen but it could; anything's possible.

The facts are these:
- Tesla advertised en route battery swapping as a feature on Model S as early as 2011.
- Tesla sold cars to sig owners based, in part, on that promise.
- Sig cars are not compatible with the battery swap station.

Conclusion:
- Until Tesla demonstrates fast swapping compatibility with Sig owners they haven't fulfilled part of the bargained for exchange.

I am a huge Tesla fan. Tesla needs to make good on the wild promises it makes regarding future features when it sells cars based on those features being available later. Those two statements are not inconsistent.

And how has the lack of pack swap damaged even a single Sig owner?

Calling a few of us out and saying "it wasn't an advertised feature" is just wrong. It's very insulting.

Nobody called anybody out. You're being dramatic.

No promise has been broken. The car CAN battery swap, it just can't be done at Harris Ranch swap station. No where is there any advertising that says there will be a rollout of battery swap stations across the country, blah, blah, blah when people had to reserve Sigs. But hey, if someone wants to get anal retentive, then they should give their Sig car back so that Tesla can make it 0-60 if 5.6 seconds like the advertisement.

Tesla continuously advertised the Model S as capable of fast swapping from very early on. Heck, Elon won a bet with Dan Neil predicated on the possibility of fast swapping.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/26/elon-musk-bets-dan-neil-1-million-he-can-get-the-tesla-model-s/

OP has an axe to grind. Tesla set his expectations of fast pack swapping capability from the outset and failed to deliver on that promise.
That same article said the swaps were to be done at the dealership and it said nothing about there needing to be an automated system, only just that it can be swappable. I remember mention of the battery being swappable, but no promise at all of Tesla *ever* building the stations.

Here's an in depth article from 2011 with JB discussing it and he makes it clear it was just added in just in case swapping ever takes off, but they have no time table of it happening (if ever).
https://gigaom.com/2011/03/18/teslas-model-s-battery-is-swappable-just-in-case/

Last edited:
Promises/commitments to expand a swap station network is an entirely separate point than what I'm discussing here. Here we have infrastructure that's been built to deliver a feature that was advertised when I bought the product that I'm now being told I cannot take advantage of. IMHO, it doesn't matter if Tesla committed/did not commit to building x number of stations. The fact is they built one and the rest is beside the point.

Nobody called anybody out. You're being dramatic.

No promise has been broken. The car CAN battery swap, it just can't be done at Harris Ranch swap station. No where is there any advertising that says there will be a rollout of battery swap stations across the country, blah, blah, blah when people had to reserve Sigs. But hey, if someone wants to get anal retentive, then they should give their Sig car back so that Tesla can make it 0-60 if 5.6 seconds like the advertisement.

Your argument assumes that whatever technical issue preventing Harris Ranch from swapping OP's battery is a minor thing that's easy to overcome. No such information has been provided. It's just as likely that the A packs aren't able to handle some other part of the fast swap process just like they cannot handle 120 kW Supercharging. Like I said, simple being able to be swapped isn't enough, it's rapid swapping at a roadside center.

The 0-60 thing isn't helpful as it's not analogous; that's more like OP being upset because Tesla provided 90 second swaps for his car's battery instead of 5 minutes.

I applaud OP for following up politely, but firmly, with Tesla.

Promises/commitments to expand a swap station network is an entirely separate point than what I'm discussing here. Here we have infrastructure that's been built to deliver a feature that was advertised when I bought the product that I'm now being told I cannot take advantage of. IMHO, it doesn't matter if Tesla committed/did not commit to building x number of stations. The fact is they built one and the rest is beside the point.

Thank you for clarifying that as many seem to have conflated the two issues.

The pack is still swappable. Just perhaps not at the stations right now. For the 2012 Model S to qualify for 7 CARB credits (see link to below that shows Tesla did qualify for 7 credits), Tesla was required to demonstrate to CARB that the car is able to refill "285 miles of UDDS range in 15 minutes or less". That means the pack as it is even in the early Model S must have been swappable in under 15 minutes.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16221-ZEV-credits/page3?p=470758&viewfull=1#post470758

Tesla never promised back then that the pack be swappable at a station or even that they will ever build even one station. I remember people assuming it would be done at a service center.

If they close that one station this whole discussion is beside the point. If the lack of infrastructure is irrelevant then so is your argument isn't it?

If they close that one station this whole discussion is beside the point. If the lack of infrastructure is irrelevant then so is your argument isn't it?

Sorry, but what in the world are you even arguing here? The station exists. He felt he was promised the functionality should the station exist. It does exist, and he can't. That's the issue, not all these other convoluted straw men arguments. How about we address that before all these silly hypotheticals that just detract from the point.

Sorry, but what in the world are you even arguing here? The station exists. He felt he was promised the functionality should the station exist. It does exist, and he can't. That's the issue, not all these other convoluted straw men arguments. How about we address that before all these silly hypotheticals that just detract from the point.

Some constructive comments would be better than dismissing discussion as silly when you missed the point.

1) If the OP has a valid point then it's valid for all cars in the supposed VIN range, regardless of geographic location, yes? However, the perceived undelivered feature is irrelevant to everybody out reach of that one station. Therefore not surprising that the OP doesn't seem to be winning much empathy/sympathy/support.

2) Elon spoke of underwhelming demand for battery swapping, so it's reasonable to conclude that the station might get closed. What happens to the undelivered feature claim after that?

Infrastructure ie either relevant or it's not. The OP suggested himself up thread that the claim hinges on availability of stations and that he felt it wasn't a given:

When JB said (or the brochure pointed out by Zextraterrestrial) the Model S was designed for fast pack swaps in 2011 I understood that to mean I would be able to take advantage of the technology were it to ever become available.

Last edited:
I assume no such thing.

According to the ad you want to hang your hat on, yes it is enough.

You keep saying OP's car is capable of fast battery swapping when you have absolutely no evidence to support such a claim. In fact, the only objective evidence we have is Tesla's claim to OP that his car was NOT compatible with the only swapping station. The only way to support a claim that his car could be used at some, hypothetical, future swapping station is the assumption that whatever it is that makes his battery incompatible with Harris Ranch is a fixable issue.

As for my claims as to what Tesla promised in 2011 when OP placed his order. I've cited very public bet Elon made, and claims to have won, with an automotive journalist that Tesla would deliver cars, in 2012that were, among other things, capable of mid route fast swapping like the model formerly employed by Better Place.

I hope that OP can get some resolution from Tesla.

As for my claims as to what Tesla promised in 2011 when OP placed his order. I've cited very public bet Elon made, and claims to have won, with an automotive journalist that Tesla would deliver cars, in 2012that were, among other things, capable of mid route fast swapping like the model formerly employed by Better Place.
That's actually wrong. While Dan Neil may have started the bet that way (although if you read it closely it seems to be paraphrasing by GCR of Dan Neil recalling an email exchange with Elon that he since deleted; it was not a direct quote), by the end of the bet this was what happened:
"As for the third, Neil refers to that condition in his Wall Street Journal article as a battery pack that "would be easily removed and replaced," albeit not necessary at a network of swapping stations."
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...s-his-2012-tesla-model-s-bet-dan-neil-pays-up

Well they are doing a trial of the single station to see how it works and if it is well received. If it ends up not working with a few thousand cars and isn't worth the effort they'll probably fold that single station.

Swap stations were never advertised. The fact the battery could be easily swapped out (doesn't say where) was.

The car CAN battery swap, it just can't be done at Harris Ranch swap station.

The P85 had not been fully dreamed hence the 5.6 speed. When I reserved, the estimated price was $50K. They hadn't even hinted yet that the car would be over $100K so using your argument, they also owe me over $50K. Unreasonable people would feel that way. Some reasonable people are just asking for straight forward talk about the cars and their features. Tesla did advertise to the OP a 5 minute battery swap and later made a fast swapping station that will not change the OP's battery. I don't think anyone at Tesla can remove a battery and put a new one in in 5 minutes even if they put the whole service center crew on it. Lots of bolts, the weight, the connections, and safety protocols would prohibit this. Quit saying CAN if it can't. No other swap stations are planned so it's not likely going to happen and they clearly don't plan to make "all cars*" compatible.

Could this just simply be a matter of the car is swappable, but the swap station simply doesn't have any 'A' batteries for it to swap with?

It's possible that the 'A' batteries require different contacts that the 'B' batteries etc. so you can't just mechanically swap the one for the other without a service call.