TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Silicon Valley Auto Show without Tesla?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Trnsl8r, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

2012 Silicon Valley International Auto Show - Floor Plan - Going on in San Jose from January 5-8.

Looks like a pretty good turn-up. Fisker, Coda and then everybody from Honda to Lamborghini showing up, but no Tesla? That seems like a lost opportunity for a fairly obvious source of PR, but maybe they think the betas do better in the showrooms?

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

At this point they should have a fair number of cars to go around, no? Maybe they're taking the Apple route and sticking to their own productions vs trying to grab attention at other shows.

3. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Detroit could be Model X...

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wasn't Feb 9th pegged as the date for the design studio and X reveal?

6. CroDriver

CroDriver Member

Where Nikola Tesla was born... Croatia :)
    Tesla also didn't show up at the biggest car show last year (2011) - the Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA - Internationale Automobil Ausstellung) which was quite a surprise for me. Maybe they don't want to show the same stuff on two exhibitions so they just want to show up when there is some news...

7. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I think they're waiting until they have a production car before attending any more auto shows.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wasn't it rumored that RC vehicles would be rolling off the line in January (this month)? I can't cite a source, but I vaguely remember reading that somewhere. It would make sense though, as they're likely going to need to be locked in on design probably by March at the latest so they can start production.

9. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Again they would have to slap together an interior for an RC Model S to show at either Silicon Valley Auto Show or NAIAS. Assuming the interior still is unfinished, they'd take another barrage of questions and change requests... Worth the hassle as customer feedback? or detracting?

10. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I vaguely recall that, but I think they might have been for crash tests. I'd imagine the very first cars they get completely through the manufacturing line, they'd want to get them into crash testing quickly as possible to clear that hurdle just in case something unexpected shows up.