TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Silly Distractions

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by richkae, Jul 9, 2014.

1. richkae

richkae VIN587

I don't know where the best place to put this is, so I picked here. I hope enough people see this.
    If a moderator thinks it is worthy of being moved, please do so.

I had a couple of ideas for fun distractions on the website, that I am hoping someone who is inclined will want to do.

First is the "Mileage Leaderboard". Make a simple form to enter your EV mileage ( you do it every few days ), and then it tells you your ranking compared to everyone else on the site, and there is a leaderboard page where you can see everyone who participates.
    I know that I don't drive a lot of miles and am nowhere near the top, but I thought it would be fun. It would also be fun to see the total go up.

The second I call "Paint the World Green". You enter cities or towns you drive your EV to. The data gets aggregated and we collectively try to fill in the whole world. ( We can start with a small set of countries and expand. ) As an alternative, instead of a destination, you enter a route you have driven and paint that way.

Anybody interested?
    I volunteer to help PM and test, but I suck at web dev. I am an old C programmer.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Not advocating for or against the distractions, but I would think wh/m would be a better leaderboard. Some people just drive a lot. Some people have had their cars years, while others have had theirs for a month. Not exactly a fair competition.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I suspect the Wh/mi chart would just be a merging of climate and terrain maps.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Lowest Wh/mi would be 'Who's enjoying their car the least?':)

5. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

That's really funny. So highest Wh/mi is enjoying the most...

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Highest Wh/mi probably has shares in Tire Rack.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Hah!

8. richkae

richkae VIN587

I was just thinking it would be fun to know the total miles driven by TMC members.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Nah. I enjoy my car as much as anyone. :)

10. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Add the date the car was delivered, and calculate miles/day. That's what the what the ActiveE guys did for ActiveE East Coast Versus West Coast Mileage contest
    (TMC's own MPT did the programming)

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Or a rolling total of the past 30 days or similar.

Not that TMC needs to be any more distracting. In fact I would probably take less distracting if I could. I know my boss would.