Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silly Question: How do you "Hold the Wheel" if it's Turning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SOULPEDL

Cyber-Bandit is Ready!
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2016
Arizona
Referral Code
OK, maybe you just need to hover the wheel while it spins.

But what if you aren't aware of it turning at the exact moment. Like maybe waiting at a light to turn when it proceeds unexpectedly because the driver was staring off. And then you disengage because your hand is on the wheel while it tries to turn. So now you're going through the intersection straight instead of turning? Won't that look awkward.

My guess is that I'll get a feel for it and just let it spin, (while hoping my leg doesn't get in the way). But anything that interrupts a turn might become a complex situation. Maybe there will be other tactile signals that we can queue from.

Reactions: BOBTHEJOCKEY
I made a thumb and forefinger "ring" around the wheel with both hands on my first test drive! Didn't want to touch it, but didn't want to keep hands fully off either.

You can hold the wheel pretty normally. It takes a reasonable amount of rotational force to cause the car to drop out of Autosteer. It can drag your hand with it as long as you are not forcing it. After a few trips you get calibrated to what works. I'll be interested to see how this changes with FSD in city driving with more steering wheel travel.

...hover...

At least one of my hands on the steering wheel exerting a light counter-torque so I can get the feedback on how the autosteer is doing and correct it instantly.

I use my fingers to hook on the steering wheel bar and let the arm hang down as a counterweight. I can clamp my fingers anywhere on the steering wheel and create the same effect to get the feedback from autosteer. I can also rest my elbow on the side or center armrest while my arm serves as a counterweight as well.

It doesn't what autosteer is doing: straight ahead, left, right, spinning, my arm is constantly getting the torque feedback so I know when to intervene.

OK, maybe you just need to hover the wheel while it spins.

But what if you aren't aware of it turning at the exact moment. Like maybe waiting at a light to turn when it proceeds unexpectedly because the driver was staring off. And then you disengage because your hand is on the wheel while it tries to turn. So now you're going through the intersection straight instead of turning? Won't that look awkward.

My guess is that I'll get a feel for it and just let it spin, (while hoping my leg doesn't get in the way). But anything that interrupts a turn might become a complex situation. Maybe there will be other tactile signals that we can queue from.
I plan on actually falling asleep whenever I am tired on the freeway when I get my Tesla next week. My biggest fear is jerking the car of the highway when I wake up the first few times: YIKES!!

Next week that'll be illegal, stupid, and likely dangerous. In six months it might be perfectly fine, if FSD develops the way Elon apparently expects it to.
Next week that'll be illegal, stupid, and likely dangerous. In six months it might be perfectly fine, if FSD develops the way Elon apparently expects it to.
My sources say it's perfectly safe if I hit traffic or a part of the road that I know with no turns and following a big rig preferably in the lane next to the slow one. Just to dose of a bit instead of pulling over and sleeping like I do now. I sleep very well in my car. I never get a hotel on long trips and almost always go by myself. Elon Musk said you are twice as safe now with autopilot on the freeway. My own brother soulpedl says it's as safe as an average driver now. I don't drive that fast anyway Blablabla. Life is full of risks.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yes, the moving the steering wheel buttons (or turn signal stalk) show the car that you are attentive and turn off the warning.

So people can just attach a thumbwheel rotator thingy and it will be able to go on it's own (with the heavy weight and seat belt attached). My brother thinks that is what will start the stock buying frenzy. Who knows.