Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

silly question maybe but....Isnt 1.9 sec kind of harmful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. So what’s the catch? If we are talking 0-170 mph in 2 seconds, how is something as slow as the next gen roadster (lol) going to be bad for health?

To remain on flight status with the Navy you need to have regular physicals and remain in top health. The average person on the road couldn't pass a Navy flight status physical. And nobody driving the streets is wearing a g suit (that I know of).

To remain on flight status with the Navy you need to have regular physicals and remain in top health. The average person on the road couldn't pass a Navy flight status physical. And nobody driving the streets is wearing a g suit (that I know of).
So even though the acceleration of the roadster is 2-3x slower, don’t you think no g suit required? I really think the light headed feeling people get us the is much more likely to be an anxiety and hyperventilating than a vasovagal response... most people hyperventilating during anxiety don’t feel like they are hyperventilating, they just feel lightheaded and woozy. Just curious translating this to civilian roadster life... by the way, I’m not worried about myself, I launch for breakfast in my car .... but the discussion of light headed feelings in the thread is interesting

That is an interesting possibility. I have never been in a Performance car launch, my 90D is more than enough for me. In my case I've always had a sensitive inner ear made worse from a virus some years ago. I get motion sick easily. My primary effect from launching too hard is getting queasy in the gut, but that's my inner ear.

That is an interesting possibility. I have never been in a Performance car launch, my 90D is more than enough for me. In my case I've always had a sensitive inner ear made worse from a virus some years ago. I get motion sick easily. My primary effect from launching too hard is getting queasy in the gut, but that's my inner ear.

If you get vertigo (spinning sensation) from inner ear causes from a launch, you should get a nystagmus as well. Nystagmus is a drift in eyeball position then a rapid snap back then another drift, etc. (For those not familiar with this, there is an input from the inner ear to the positioning control for the eyes. The reason it is there is that it helps you keep your gaze fixed as you turn your head. With inappropriate input from the inner ear, the mechanism causes the eye to drift. The brain recognizes the eye is no longer pointed in the correct position so it corrects the gaze with a quick correction. Anyone interested can see this at mechanism work by spinning a subject around several times as playing children do, then immediately after, looking at the subjects eyes while the subject feels dizzy, or more specifically still has vertigo.)

If you get vertigo (spinning sensation) from inner ear causes from a launch, you should get a nystagmus as well. Nystagmus is a drift in eyeball position then a rapid snap back then another drift, etc. (For those not familiar with this, there is an input from the inner ear to the positioning control for the eyes. The reason it is there is that it helps you keep your gaze fixed as you turn your head. With inappropriate input from the inner ear, the mechanism causes the eye to drift. The brain recognizes the eye is no longer pointed in the correct position so it corrects the gaze with a quick correction. Anyone interested can see this at mechanism work by spinning a subject around several times as playing children do, then immediately after, looking at the subjects eyes while the subject feels dizzy, or more specifically still has vertigo.)

I can relate.

I appear to have debris in the cochlea from the inner ear infection. From what I've read and experienced, the debris decreases over time and vertigo attacks become rarer and less severe, but I still get them sometimes. I can get a vertigo attack from lying in the wrong position and getting up. Even with my eyes closed it does it.

Rapid eye movements have always been able to cause a bit of motion sickness. Though not always.

Most people report they get less motion sick driving than as a passenger, probably because their eyes are already fixed in the direction the car is going. That's been my experience too. But I got a bit queasy when I went for my first test drive and did a launch. My eyes were locked on the road then.

I have three vertigo symptoms, the classic spinning sensation in bad attacks (hasn't happened in over a year), but more minor attacks can make the inside of my nose feel raw (like I inhaled water) and/or make my stomach feel queasy. The stomach queasiness is the most common these days and oddly eating something makes it go away, though that seems counter intuitive. I have a weird metabolism.

I can relate.

I appear to have debris in the cochlea from the inner ear infection. From what I've read and experienced, the debris decreases over time and vertigo attacks become rarer and less severe, but I still get them sometimes. I can get a vertigo attack from lying in the wrong position and getting up. Even with my eyes closed it does it.

Rapid eye movements have always been able to cause a bit of motion sickness. Though not always.

Most people report they get less motion sick driving than as a passenger, probably because their eyes are already fixed in the direction the car is going. That's been my experience too. But I got a bit queasy when I went for my first test drive and did a launch. My eyes were locked on the road then.

I have three vertigo symptoms, the classic spinning sensation in bad attacks (hasn't happened in over a year), but more minor attacks can make the inside of my nose feel raw (like I inhaled water) and/or make my stomach feel queasy. The stomach queasiness is the most common these days and oddly eating something makes it go away, though that seems counter intuitive. I have a weird metabolism.

It is probably better to keep your eyes open. Motion sickness results from differing input. The eyes, the middle ear, and the body’s position sensors in the joints are the 3 inputs for position. If the middle ear sends different input than the other two systems, motion sickness can occur. That is why people often can’t read in cars, the eyes see the book as fixed yet the middle ear is reporting movement. With seasickness, it is helpful to watch the horizon because the. The middle ear and eye input is in agreement. I think that is why drivers don‘t usually get motion sick while their passengers may.

People can adapt. Sailors get used to the differing input. Drugs can mitigate the motion sickness response. Meclizine is one.

It is probably better to keep your eyes open. Motion sickness results from differing input. The eyes, the middle ear, and the body’s position sensors in the joints are the 3 inputs for position. If the middle ear sends different input than the other two systems, motion sickness can occur. That is why people often can’t read in cars, the eyes see the book as fixed yet the middle ear is reporting movement. With seasickness, it is helpful to watch the horizon because the. The middle ear and eye input is in agreement. I think that is why drivers don‘t usually get motion sick while their passengers may.

I was talking about vertigo from a lying position. It's kind of hard to sleep with my eyes open. When I'm riding in the car I stay focused on the road, though when I was a kid, I would try to nap on curvy roads. That usually got me through it the best.

People can adapt. Sailors get used to the differing input. Drugs can mitigate the motion sickness response. Meclizine is one.

Most people can, but I've read some never do.

When the vertigo was at its worst I took Meclizine, but I found my body habituated to it, so I couldn't take it every day. To fly I need to take Dramamine. Meclazine isn't strong enough. On Dramamine I have no issues, but I'm very sleepy for hours afterwards. It's a real challenge on the rare occasion I need to fly someplace and work the same day.

The whole airsickness thing is very annoying. I have always loved aircraft, but flying can be misery without drugs.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I was talking about vertigo from a lying position. It's kind of hard to sleep with my eyes open. When I'm riding in the car I stay focused on the road, though when I was a kid, I would try to nap on curvy roads. That usually got me through it the best.

Most people can, but I've read some never do.

When the vertigo was at its worst I took Meclizine, but I found my body habituated to it, so I couldn't take it every day. To fly I need to take Dramamine. Meclazine isn't strong enough. On Dramamine I have no issues, but I'm very sleepy for hours afterwards. It's a real challenge on the rare occasion I need to fly someplace and work the same day.

The whole airsickness thing is very annoying. I have always loved aircraft, but flying can be misery without drugs.

I wish I had something helpful but if there was anything you’d have found it long ago.

So when you are symtomatic in the lying position do you have nystagmus?

I wish I had something helpful but if there was anything you’d have found it long ago.

So when you are symtomatic in the lying position do you have nystagmus?

No. From what I've read it's the gunk in the cochlea tickling the hairs in there. There are some head position exercises that are supposed to move the gunk out of position and that did help reduce the vertigo.

When the vertigo first hit me, I thought I was having a stroke. I was at a convention in Phoenix. I went outside and walked around the hotel a bit and it seemed to clear. When I got home I mentioned it to a friend and she said she had been through the same thing. She's the one who recommended Meclazine to me.

I've taken a fighter pilot for a ride in my Model S, and he said that even though in my P85 it's less than 1g the straight-line g-force acceleration phases him. When you're in a jet fighter the g-forces are pushing you down, not back.

Just one anecdotal point of data. Add salt.

From a marketing point of view I find it helpful that Tesla drivers have to get their driving advice from fighter pilots!

This is a really interesting question (as an academic doc, I am always willing to consider new data!). Maybe there is enough "passive" space in the pulmonary system to keep some blood from being pushed forward into the heart, but I don't know. One of my other flight doc colleagues here with me today is a heart/long transplant surgeon who ran the program at The Brigham
My guess is preload reduction from increased intra-thoracic pressure.

I doubt the hyperventilation angle.
Try it out: Breath 40 times a minute and see how long it takes to feel different. And remember that those people would also likely notice hypocalcemia related symptoms like tingling/numbness in the lips and fingers.

I'm doubling down on this.... hyperventilation during anxiety rarely feels like hyperventilation, it usually happens without noticing.... fight or flight. Yes, you are correct that fingers and numbness are common, but my argument is that with arse fully puckered, and tight grip of the wheel, and the anticipation of the launch, my guess is that tight grip of the wheel doesn't get registered.

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this subject.... when it comes to anxiety, buttershrimp is a sommelier.... I'm terrified right now as I type this... in fact, I'm getting light headed..... everything is turning white..... oh god.... akljfdl;kja.dlsfkjdfads

What happened? Where am I? Did I faint and piss my pants again? Dammit!

My frickin' anxiety does it again.