Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

silly question maybe but....Isnt 1.9 sec kind of harmful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, on the other hand, going from driving a mini-van or a Toyota Prius to the new Tesla roadster might just take a little longer to become acclimated to?
I'm pretty sure that hypothetical person is likely to kill himself way before 0-60 acceleration becomes a problem. Although it's been years since I drove a fast car and 2 months into my P3D I'm somewhat at the "ok, that's kinda quick I guess" phase.

Reactions: APotatoGod
kunmadaras 2012.jpg

If you want to experience even greater accelerations I would recommend riding a roller coaster, such as the Millennium Force in Sandusky, Ohio, with a stomach-churning 300ft drop of 4.5 G.
Rode it. Even made a video of the ride from the first car. Note: the 300 foot drop is at 80 degrees! Almost straight down.

The Top Thrill Dragster was a heck of a rush... 0-120mph in 4 seconds.

i dont seem to suffer tooo much im 60 next month an i regularly run 0-60 in under 1.2secs 0-165mph in 4.8secs 205mph in 7 sec no wheelie bar and a street tyre my streetbike weighs 500lbs and is 630bhp havent noticed any impairments or dizzyness perhaps im just old and mad....
My turbo Hayabusa uses a MC Express intercooled kit to turn 325rwhp. Stock height and stock wheelbase. It's a hoot to maintain hard acceleration.

I think not only the amount of G-force, but the duration is a factor too.

At the extremes, "high-G" can disrupt breathing and blood flow.
As long as you don't panic and go into shock, you could probably handle this for many seconds before your cells start to run short of energy.
For most applications... drag bike... roller coaster... plaid Tesla... The duration would be fairly short and probably not enough to get you into trouble.
But we also compare high-G for pilots and astronauts. Fighter planes need to make sure not to exceed G-levels that would "black out" a pilot in a long "dogfight". Those pilots may have special suits, or even take special drugs to compensate to give them an advantage.
Rockets carrying people need to be designed not to exceed the prolonged G's astronauts can handle.
I think rockets that won't carry people can be designed to accelerate more quickly.

Last edited:
I think not only the amount of G-force, but the duration is a factor too.

At the extremes, "high-G" can disrupt breathing and blood flow.
As long as you don't panic and go into shock, you could probably handle this for many seconds before your cells start to run short of energy.
For most applications... drag bike... roller coaster... plaid Tesla... The duration would be fairly short and probably not enough to get you into trouble.
But we also compare high-G for pilots and astronauts. Fighter planes need to make sure not to exceed G-levels that would "black out" a pilot in a long "dogfight". Those pilots may have special suits, or even take special drugs to compensate to give them an advantage.
Rockets carrying people need to be designed not to exceed the prolonged G's astronauts can handle.
I think rockets that won't carry people can be designed to accelerate more quickly.

People with circulation issues are more at risk from blacking out from high gs, but modern fighter pilots are subjects to 9gs with the g-suits. g-suits were introduced in 1945 by the US and I believe the RAF introduced them too because fighters had become fast enough that turns were pushing the limits of human physiology. After g-suits were introduced some fighters returned to base with rivets in the wings popped out.

The position astronauts sit in the capsule are the optimum position for dealing with high g forces. It's that way by design.

In any case there is no way a street legal car is going to be able to produce the kinds of g forces necessary to harm anybody who is reasonably healthy. Someone with a bad heart shouldn't be doing that sort of thing, but they also shouldn't be doing anything that could make them over exited either.

Reactions: APotatoGod and TEG
Fighter pilots pull g’s in the vertical axis relative to their seating position. Blacking out is caused by lack of blood pressure in the head. G-suits are designed to keep blood from flowing downward into the abdomen and legs. A car accelerates quickly in the longitudinal axis, not vertical, so blacking out is not an issue. That’s only an issue on high speed banked turns on a racetrack.

Fighter pilots pull g’s in the vertical axis relative to their seating position. Blacking out is caused by lack of blood pressure in the head. G-suits are designed to keep blood from flowing downward into the abdomen and legs. A car accelerates quickly in the longitudinal axis, not vertical, so blacking out is not an issue. That’s only an issue on high speed banked turns on a racetrack.

True

That is such a sad commentary on American education...

The rest of your post is well reasoned.
Not quite as sad a commentary as yours is on how some people just can't resist a poorly aimed generalization. Maybe your Oxford, er, English, er German, er Korean education can help the rest of us boneheads understand just what you mean! Personally, I'm impressed that the "American" education covers a tremendous variety of experiences, despite any centralized efforts to the contrary.

• Funny