Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silly question....what do you use to hang the cord for the universal charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, cheap plastic garden hose holder from Home Depot for me. The curve seems to be close to natural for the cables, and it's sturdy enough to take the weight of the RFMC cable plus the 10' CA connector extension. No sharp edges anywhere.

Rubber covered hook from Lowes, cost less than $10 as I recall. No sharp edges but is "flat" enough to rest the connector on it without the weight pulling on the cable.

Sarasota-20110903-00052.jpg

thanks!

that is the exact one I purchased (the one you linked)

just for anyones info if searching, you can get it for 3 dollars at Home depot vs Amazon.

Also, you will need to buy 5 dry wall screws to mount it.

I bought some plastic paint (white) to try to give it a more modern feel.

Hopefully, my roadster should be here before the end of this month!

I used a few rubber-coated bicycle hooks screwed into the ceiling. But my outlet is on the garage wall opposite from my car so the cable travels up the wall (I rotated the outlet upside down to facilitate this), across the ceiling halfway, and then down to the car. When not in use I have a couple extra hooks that hold the cable up against the ceiling.

We also use the rubber-coated bicycle hooks. We have a two car garage and the 14-50 is attached to a wooden panel between the cars about 7 feet off the ground. We took one of the hooks and adapted it so it holds the car-end plug when it's not connected to the car. It's not pretty but it works.

Not exactly answering the question, but related: I have an HPC in addition to the mobile cable, and I have an unfinished garage, so I ran the cable across a rafter to the middle of the garage (so it is above the driver's side of the car) and then attached it to a 2x6 installed as a counterweighted see-saw hinged on the rafter. I attached a pull-cord to the end of the see-saw, so I can just pull it down, lift the end of the cable from the Y hook on the see-saw board and plug right into the car. Takes only a few seconds. A similar arrangement could be used with the mobile cable if I used it mostly at home and only occasionally needed to take it down for mobile use.

My garage is a recycling hell, so my UMC cable loops across the metal frame of a chair that's already had it's seat and back recycled. The UMC connector itself falls onto the plastic lid on a plastic bucket - my thinking is that I don't want to be dropping that heavy connector on the cement garage floor on a daily basis, so the plastic should take the beating instead.

I'd kinda like to get the HPC and install it so I'd have the official hanger, but I'd have to move a dead refrigerator. What a mess!

P.S. I'm also looking for a way to hang my hardtop cover/case. I need to recycle that second bicycle that's hanging between the cars to make room.

My garage is a recycling hell, so my UMC cable loops across the metal frame of a chair that's already had it's seat and back recycled. The UMC connector itself falls onto the plastic lid on a plastic bucket - my thinking is that I don't want to be dropping that heavy connector on the cement garage floor on a daily basis, so the plastic should take the beating instead.

I'd kinda like to get the HPC and install it so I'd have the official hanger, but I'd have to move a dead refrigerator. What a mess!

P.S. I'm also looking for a way to hang my hardtop cover/case. I need to recycle that second bicycle that's hanging between the cars to make room.

Where are you going to put your Model S?

Where are you going to put your Model S?
Ha! No Model S for me. I'm glad that Tesla Motors is making the Model S, since it will be much more appropriate for most drivers, but it is not for me, despite being beautiful (I saw it in person, and it spurred the purchase of my Roadster).

Meanwhile, the Roadster shares the garage with a 21-year-old car that is not going to become the victim of an all-too-typical Seattle envy keying or other vandalism. The Roadster is for driving, but if I have to park away from home for more than a few minutes then it's the beater.

I screwed a rubber-coated hook into the wall. I didn't hit a stud, so it sags. Still keeps the UMC up off the ground where I can grab it easily. The cable drags on the ground but the end that plugs into the car is up in the air. Ugly but functional.

Not exactly answering the question, but related: I have an HPC in addition to the mobile cable, and I have an unfinished garage, so I ran the cable across a rafter to the middle of the garage (so it is above the driver's side of the car) and then attached it to a 2x6 installed as a counterweighted see-saw hinged on the rafter. I attached a pull-cord to the end of the see-saw, so I can just pull it down, lift the end of the cable from the Y hook on the see-saw board and plug right into the car. Takes only a few seconds. A similar arrangement could be used with the mobile cable if I used it mostly at home and only occasionally needed to take it down for mobile use.
I'd like to see pictures of this contraption.