Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silly Referral Awards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my S, so I was more than happy to talk it up to my neighbor and then send him a referral so that he could score a discount and free supercharging. When he told me that I'd be getting an award from my referral, I was looking forward to something like a sweatshirt or coffee mug. Really, that would have been plenty.

But, like I'm sure is the case with many S owners, what am I supposed to do with an electric car for an 8 year old? Or an extra wall charger? Or an extra set of wheels? Two things stand out about all 3 of these items. First, they are way more expensive for Tesla than necessary (I just wanted to help my friend). Second, each of them is unlikely to be of any use to a typical S driver. That's not to say there are no drivers who will appreciate them (so please spare me the "I like mine" messages), it's that empirically, most of us have kids over age 8, and most of us already bought the chargers and wheels we desired.

A $50 fleece jacket would have been awesome...

Reactions: dhrivnak
I love my S, so I was more than happy to talk it up to my neighbor and then send him a referral so that he could score a discount and free supercharging. When he told me that I'd be getting an award from my referral, I was looking forward to something like a sweatshirt or coffee mug. Really, that would have been plenty.

But, like I'm sure is the case with many S owners, what am I supposed to do with an electric car for an 8 year old? Or an extra wall charger? Or an extra set of wheels? Two things stand out about all 3 of these items. First, they are way more expensive for Tesla than necessary (I just wanted to help my friend). Second, each of them is unlikely to be of any use to a typical S driver. That's not to say there are no drivers who will appreciate them (so please spare me the "I like mine" messages), it's that empirically, most of us have kids over age 8, and most of us already bought the chargers and wheels we desired.

Sell the award. Easy to do.

I'll gladly take the kids' Tesla off your hands. Not kidding. My daughter sat in one and loved it!!

some of us... myself included think the Rims are awesome looking and the fact you cannot purchase them is a big deal in a way... makes owning them a bit more of a "Status" I agree with you that the wall charger is an odd gift for a current owner...
to me the weirdest gift option is that for 3 referrals you can either get the rims and tires OR test drive a Tesla for a week... not sure why a Tesla owner would give up rims and tires (valued above $4500) to drive a version of a car they already have for a week. Even if you turn around and sell the wheels... why would anyone do the borrow thing?

some of us... myself included think the Rims are awesome looking and the fact you cannot purchase them is a big deal in a way... makes owning them a bit more of a "Status" I agree with you that the wall charger is an odd gift for a current owner...
to me the weirdest gift option is that for 3 referrals you can either get the rims and tires OR test drive a Tesla for a week... not sure why a Tesla owner would give up rims and tires (valued above $4500) to drive a version of a car they already have for a week. Even if you turn around and sell the wheels... why would anyone do the borrow thing?
I like the idea of the HPWC, but crap, I already have two, and have had them for months before I ordered my car. :D Definitely a weird choice for a referral award. Do they think you will install that and sell the one you perhaps already have? Not sure I’d purchase used electronic equipment for my new car unless the price was outstanding.

Some of these seem made to give away/sell (but you can’t give/sell the test drives, right?).

I was going for the powerwall but early access to solar would have been nice! However they referral rewards keep changing so by the time i can even get the right number of referrals, the solar reward may not even be available! Regardless still happy for the referral program!

I was actually excited to see the limited edition wall connectors offered as prizes in the current program. So far, we've only been using the UMCs that came with the cars and didn't feel it necessary to pay $500 to buy wall connectors. If we get them for free, then we'll definitely install them and use the load-balancing functionality.

As for the "borrow a Tesla" referral prize, try thinking outside the box. If you go on a vacation anywhere that Tesla has a gallery, you could use it as a car rental for the week. I agree the Arachnids are worth more than the ability to borrow a Tesla for a week, which could probably be valued around $1500 to $2000. However, one of the reasons we didn't go on a road trip earlier this year was that we couldn't find any Teslas for rent in the city that we were going to fly into before starting the driving portion of the trip. We plan on doing a road trip around BC next year using the VIP "swap your Tesla" prize.

I was actually excited to see the limited edition wall connectors offered as prizes in the current program. So far, we've only been using the UMCs that came with the cars and didn't feel it necessary to pay $500 to buy wall connectors. If we get them for free, then we'll definitely install them and use the load-balancing functionality.

As for the "borrow a Tesla" referral prize, try thinking outside the box. If you go on a vacation anywhere that Tesla has a gallery, you could use it as a car rental for the week. I agree the Arachnids are worth more than the ability to borrow a Tesla for a week, which could probably be valued around $1500 to $2000. However, one of the reasons we didn't go on a road trip earlier this year was that we couldn't find any Teslas for rent in the city that we were going to fly into before starting the driving portion of the trip. We plan on doing a road trip around BC next year using the VIP "swap your Tesla" prize.
Agree. I love the 'borrow a Tesla' prize.

As a father of twin 6 year olds, I would love to be able to get TWO tesla kid-cars. Of course, I have to purchase a MS for daddy first...

I fully agree. If my referral goes through not sure what I will do with it. We have a grandson on the way but I do not relish storing it for 5 years. A nice fleece jacket would be nice and as you say lower cost.

I fully agree. If my referral goes through not sure what I will do with it. We have a grandson on the way but I do not relish storing it for 5 years. A nice fleece jacket would be nice and as you say lower cost.
I have a granddaughter due to make her debut in a few weeks. The plan is to remove the battery from the car & just put the car in the corner of her room, holding stuffed animals. Then on her 3rd birthday, we'll put the battery in & surprise her :).

Hey hey, there's a growing group that doesn't have kids yet :D Some of these might seem a bit excessive (wheels, tires, Powerwall), but it's also a lot cheaper to give out cool referral gifts than pay sales people salaries. I like that they are offering an alternative for the kids Tesla now. I would much rather have had the choice to get the black HPWC. I would gladly trade you for a Tesla fleece jacket if that's what you would have preferred :D