Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver Metallic is the most rare color (1/3 of next most rare)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gone from Silver to Midnight Silver to now White. I have only seen Blue M3s around here so hopefully I can see some other colors before I order. I'm waiting on the short range but might have to order sooner depending on how many they can deliver up to Canada over the next 6 weeks......

I LOVED that matte black at the reveal and have debated going free black and wrapping/painting it....

I've gone from Silver to Midnight Silver to now White. I have only seen Blue M3s around here so hopefully I can see some other colors before I order. I'm waiting on the short range but might have to order sooner depending on how many they can deliver up to Canada over the next 6 weeks......

I LOVED that matte black at the reveal and have debated going free black and wrapping/painting it....

The pearl white is REALLY pretty. I absolutely think you'll be happy with it. They're relatively uncommon, too, I've only seen a handful.

I dunno why this is a thing now, because people are trolling silver car owners on FB and like posting a comment like "worst color but still love it" lol. DRIVES ME nuts and not even my posts haha. I ordered silver. Its my Delorean. I loved that car and got to ride in one once with a boyfriend. Also my grandfather passed away when I was a kid and my dad got his silver top of the line Honda Accord which was the same kind of silver, black leather and sun roof. I was 16 and my dad would let me drive it, it was kinda old but it was sooo nice people would always look at me and I felt like such a bad a55 in that car lol. It reminded me of my grandfather and it had some kinda button for sports mode it like sent more gas to the engine or something. So for me its a throwback thing. I also wanted something that wouldn't stick out too much obvious as a Tesla so I like that the badge isn't too obvious on it. Where I live there are virtually NO Tesla's. I've seen one, which might live in my neighborhood but they keep it in a garage or they are a family member of someone who lives near me. I've seen it at food lion lol and on the road once or twice in 3 years. I just don't want to call too much attention to it everyone will assume its 100k car, I don't want it to get key'd or something. I like to keep a low profile in my neighborhood... won't last for long lol.

Last edited:
I dunno why this is a thing now, because people are trolling silver car owners on FB and like posting a comment like "worst color but still love it" lol. DRIVES ME nuts and not even my posts haha. I ordered silver. Its my Delorean. I loved that car and got to ride in one once with a boyfriend. Also my grandfather passed away when I was a kid and my dad got his silver top of the line Honda Accord which was the same kind of silver, black leather and sun roof. I was 16 and my dad would let me drive it, it was kinda old but it was sooo nice people would always look at me and I felt like such a bad a55 in that car lol. It reminded me of my grandfather and it had some kinda button for sports mode it like sent more gas to the engine or something. So for me its a throwback thing. I also wanted something that wouldn't stick out too much obvious as a Tesla so I like that the badge isn't too obvious on it. Where I live there are virtually NO Tesla's. I've seen one, which might live in my neighborhood but they keep it in a garage or they are a family member of someone who lives near me. I've seen it at food lion lol and on the road once or twice in 3 years. I just don't want to call too much attention to it everyone will assume its 100k car, I don't want it to get key'd or something. I like to keep a low profile in my neighborhood... won't last for long lol.
The internet is unfortunately full of people who feel entitled to let anyone know their opinion/thoughts with out considering if its adding anything of value.
I think the silver looks great and you should enjoy it in every way, especially if it brings back great memories.

one thing to remember about most of the trackers - the sample size is pretty low. I think it was <10%
Personally I've done silver a few times and wanted a change, so ended up with black.

The sample size is indeed low, but further I suspect most all of us on TMC are early adopters and often do different just to do different. I went with silver as well for the same reasoning in the lines look more striking and has an Aston Martin feel, but further, my rationalization was also that silver is the best color for hiding blemishes and most easy to match for touch ups and repairs according to paint shop searches I've done.

This is a replacement of our daily commuter car, not whats suppose to be our premium family SUV, so the M3AWD needs to match or exceed the 14 years we got out of the ICE its replacing.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Obsidian Black Metallic is the new rarest Model 3 as they just made available that paint color. I amended my initial Model 3 Performance order from MSM to OBM. Still have Aug-Oct delivery estimate. Changed my order to cash to speed up the delivery, still no word or update from Tesla.

lucky, I went with silver and Im refreshing the page at least 4-5x /day

It is worth the wait

E5028886-291F-4EC7-A920-35BB27846C01.jpeg

I went with silver, although I really liked the red. I worried that the red would be too flashy and didn't really want to draw that much attention to the car especially by the police who are going to be less forgiving of a speeding red car more often having a younger driver behind the wheel. Besides, I love the contrast of the silver with the aeo wheels.

There’s even a poll thread here with LEAST favorite M3 color and silver is in the lead.

Wasn’t sure the point of that other than to validate your own choice / troll other people’s choices?

It’s going to come down to who takes care of their car best one month after delivery..

Silver is lowest maintenance, lowest ticket magnet.

That’s the smart money choice.

I know 3 other people with MSM M3's. They're dying to show me their cars, but I'm like bro, we've all seen it more than the Gangnam Style video. White is the best IMO but it's so pretty that it's leans towards the feminine side. Red is awesome but I'd only get it if I'm buying a Ferrari.

I placed my config yesterday and decided to go for silver metallic. I've been snooping around the Model 3 tracker spreadsheet and on the VIN Queue 1 sheet it has a breakdown of how many of each color have been reported as configured. Silver Metallic is far and away the least popular option with only 1/3 as many as the next least popular color (solid black). Looks like I'll have a rare color!

I stopped by the showroom and the only colors they didn't have were silver and red. I knew I didn't want red, but I went ahead with silver sight unseen. Hope it was the right call.

Edit: I missed this graph that makes it easier to see:
View attachment 300402

View attachment 300400

Quite different from the averages for all cars.

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 1.23.45 PM.png