Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver Metallic Paint Price Increase.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Y a few weeks ago. after placing the order I receive the purchase agreement and was provided a very reasonable delivery date. I selected the silver metallic paint because there was no charge for it (white was also a N/C option). I received my VIN immediately after ordering the car. now that I am ready to pick-up the car this week, Tesla now added the $1000 charge to my order (the color prices changed a few days ago). I called the local Tesla rep, who claimed it was outside of their control. Of course I can “walk away,” but I want the car. Is there a way I can someone at Tesla to address this? Thanks in advance

I think the OP meant Midnight Silver Metallic. I think it was free for a few months before going up to $1k when the base prices dropped like a rock.
It was free in December when I took delivery! If the OP is getting it now they are saving thousands or dollars vs trying to get a free paint color with $1k? Maybe I am missing something. Did your price decrease if you ordered it weeks ago? It should have...

Upvote 0
I guess they aren't letting you double dip (getting lower base price, plus the free paint). Presumably when you got your order agreement for this VIN, this should have been in it already?

If instead you are saying that you are charged the old price AND you are getting the extra paint charge, then that is an issue.

Reactions: VegasMYP
Upvote 0
I guess they aren't letting you double dip (getting lower base price, plus the free paint). Presumably when you got your order agreement for this VIN, this should have been in it already?

If instead you are saying that you are charged the old price AND you are getting the extra paint charge, then that is an issue.
He did not mention how his price decreased only that they are charging him for the paint color. I think the thinks he can double dip and it does not work that way! Pay the $1k for the paint and your lower price or just get white paint, no charge and get it wrapped.

Upvote 0
I'll put my flame suit on but I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP wanting the base price discount and the paint at the cost it was when the order was placed.

He ordered Silver when Silver was a no upcharge color. He should not be charged more for it AFTER his order is filled. Tesla made a "market" decision to lower pricing. IMHO, OP is entitled to that the same as everyone else.

Upvote 0
I'll put my flame suit on but I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP wanting the base price discount and the paint at the cost it was when the order was placed.

He ordered Silver when Silver was a no upcharge color. He should not be charged more for it AFTER his order is filled. Tesla made a "market" decision to lower pricing. IMHO, OP is entitled to that the same as everyone else.
The cost structure changed. He doesn't get to pick and choose the cost basis. And it's poor form to bring the MSM cost change up w/o noting he got the MSRP reduction, very poor form.

Upvote 1

Well he is getting the same as everyone else buying now: namely a lower base price and MSM no longer being free. As another mentioned, Tesla is probably more than happy to revert his order pricing back to the original higher base price and free MSM, but OP probably doesn't want that either. I'm sure also if OP asks to convert to white, Tesla would be willing to match him to a white car (although it may not be in as high a priority).

Tesla allowing old orders to have new (lower) pricing and also to keep old pricing (when Tesla raises the price) is just a nicety. Tesla can easily do it a different way.

Upvote 0

Nerp.

You can choose the old price book or the new price book. Not mix and match to choose the best bits of both.

Very simple.

Upvote 1
I truly appreciate everyone’s opinion on this topic. To be clear - I’m thrilled to have received the price discount before delivery next week. I recognize how fortunate I am. But the issue is the MSM - I was not charged for it when I placed my order, submitted a deposit, received a purchase order agreement from Tesla, and selected MSM because there was no extra charge. Now it’s $1000 more. As discussed repeatedly in the last few days - many cars are sitting now at $55900 - mine included. i specifically did not select a black or red color to keep my costs lower (original order two weeks ago). My question to my esteemed peers is strait-forward: Should (can) Tesla charge a customer for an option that was not a surcharge at the ti e the order was executed and a VIN and purchase agreement was issued - AFTER the fact? I guess what’s more disturbing is I can’t find ANYONE at Tesla to give me a straight answer. The local dealer says, “It’s out of my hands.”

Upvote 0
I truly appreciate everyone’s opinion on this topic. To be clear - I’m thrilled to have received the price discount before delivery next week. I recognize how fortunate I am. But the issue is the MSM - I was not charged for it when I placed my order, submitted a deposit, received a purchase order agreement from Tesla, and selected MSM because there was no extra charge. Now it’s $1000 more. As discussed repeatedly in the last few days - many cars are sitting now at $55900 - mine included. i specifically did not select a black or red color to keep my costs lower (original order two weeks ago). My question to my esteemed peers is strait-forward: Should (can) Tesla charge a customer for an option that was not a surcharge at the ti e the order was executed and a VIN and purchase agreement was issued - AFTER the fact? I guess what’s more disturbing is I can’t find ANYONE at Tesla to give me a straight answer. The local dealer says, “It’s out of my hands.”
There's a disconnect here. You assume you can hold onto yesterday's price structure while taking advantage of todays price cut. You can't. You will have to juggle the options to fit under the IRA limits like everyone else. If you don't like it go back to your original pricing agreement where MSM is free.

Upvote 0
Yes.

Either take it or leave it.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Upvote 0
As I said - I’m grateful for the across-the-board fesla price reduction. it would have happened whether I ordered a Model Y or not. the issue is, “Can [clearly they did] or should Tesla raise the price of a n/c item (MSM at the time the order was placed and a purchase agreement was issued)? is it good/acceptable business practice from a brand/image perspective. Regardless of the Tesla across-the-board price reduction impacting all models - can and should they honor the original purchase order (MSM at no charge)? Versus the change they made of $1K after the order was executed and the VIN was assifend?

Upvote 0
To be clear, you did not submit a deposit, you submitted a (generally) non-refundable order fee. Tesla no longer collects deposits for Model 3/Y. Generally Tesla is allowed to change the price up until the final agreement is released, as a courtesy they allow owners to keep old pricing (when they do price increases). Your recourse is to cancel the order and in that case you might be able to get the order fee back (if it is because of a change on their end). Look at the fine print in your order agreement and also in your final purchase agreement for details.

It sounds like you are saying that you got the VIN and final agreement before they lowered the price (so you have a copy that has the old price and the MSM being free). Tesla is then being generous by offering the new (much lower) pricing to you (I checked my old agreement, they are NOT obligated to do so at all, likely it's the same for your new one). You can always keep the old pricing if you want the MSM for free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
“Can [clearly they did] or should Tesla raise the price of a n/c item (MSM at the time the order was placed and a purchase agreement was issued)? is it good/acceptable business practice from a brand/image perspective.
It was the perfect time for them to raise the price of MSM since there is an overall price decrease so they don't have to grandfather in the previous free price which is what they normally do when prices go up. For orders not yet delivered, Tesla honors price cuts but does not impose price increases. This is good business practice and good from a branding/image perspective. AFAIK, they are not legally required to do this.

Unfortunately, there is little or no sympathy for you "only" getting an unexpected $12k discount for your configuration.

If your order just misses qualifying for the tax cut then can you change your order (or at worst, cancel it and make a new order) so you only have $2k worth of options? Spending $250 to get back $7.5k seems like a good deal.

Getting (in your case) a $12k price decrease and a $7.5k tax credit is a fantastic deal.

Upvote 0