Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver or red? Share your experience, please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We also were looking at the silver or white because the MC red was not available yet, when my wife and I first met in the 70's we both had red sports cars. But before we purchased the Tesla we had mostly blue metallic cars, our decision was based on how beautiful the red looked and thought it would take us back to when we first met. So somewhat nostalgic but truly how nice it looks, it does stand out but all comments are positive. This is a very individual decision, so you must go look at them in person and you then will know.

Wifey can't stand a dirty car so she wash's it every 10 days.
(not mine)
IMG_0797.JPG

mine on PCH
IMG_0178.JPG

We even charge together
IMG_0014.JPG

Silver is around 18% reflective, so it's not really that much better than black, other than psychologically. Red is likely not much different than silver. White would be around 90% reflective.

I think your 18% number for silver refers to its share of US car colors, not solar reflectance.

According to a test by Lawrence Berkeley Lab, comparing otherwise identical Honda Civics, parked facing south in Sacramento, CA; one with silver shell paint (which like white reflects about 60% of solar radiation) reduces inside air temp by 5-6ºC (9-10ºF) at "breathing level" compared to an identical car with black shell paint (reflectance = 0.05%). They further calculated that the difference in A/C loads would amount to about 2% of fuel use.
Silver and white cars are cooler, says study

The second link suggests that "typical cool" colors (between black, Solar Reflectance = 0.05 and silver/white, SR = 0.60) would have SR of about 0.35 and interior temp difference midway between black and silver/white. Browns, blues, greens, purples and reds fall into this middle area, suggesting perhaps 5ºF inside temp difference between silver and red after an hour in the sun.

Potential benefits of solar reflective car shells: Cooler cabins, fuel savings and emission reductions

Thank you. So after two years you are still satisfied.
I looked again today at the service center and saw silver next to red in bright sun; understated elegance next to stunning impact. I noticed that I could see the silver car reflected in the red car's driver side panel, but silver car's driver side panel did not reflect the car next to it.
They had 9 red cars on the lot (out of maybe 40) and all were Pano roofs. Service guy says he's seen maybe 4 red cars without Pano during his two years there. Are you glad that you chose red roof?

I looked online for info on Opti-Coat. Impressive claims. Was it expensive to do?

Yes....solid roof is relatively rare, as the 'take rate' for the pano roof is so high. I am not a sunroof guy--never used it in past vehicles. Did not want black solid roof (previous build option). No issues with solid multi-coat red roof. Love the color, looks elegant. Did not need the interior headroom that the pano provides. Like the better noise insulation. Note that there are sketchy rumors that TM might offer a non-operating glass sunroof as an option instead of an operable pano roof.

Thanks for the gorgeous pic. Highway 41?

Highway 58. Made a mistake relying on the car's navigation system to get me from Tejon Ranch SC to Atascadero SC. Went many, many miles without seeing another car, but the payoff was this beautiful scenery on the other side of the mountain. Narrow windy road at places cut into the side of a mountain with no guard rails. Very glad it was just before sunset and not after! Stopped the car right on the road (no useable shoulder where I stopped) to take a few photos. My daughter said, "Uh, dad, you're stopped on the middle of the highway..." I asked her when she last saw a car. "Good point, dad." She snapped this shot while I was taking a picture of the windmills.
http://i.imgur.com/awYIICQ.jpg?1

Well, I still haven't ordered yet (can't take delivery until August) and now it appears that TM has made my color decision for me by eliminating silver from the palette. But wait! Now there is a drop-dead gorgeous blue metallic whose name dujour seems to be Deep Blue Metallic (Ocean Blue Metallic for two days), so I'll have to see that before deciding on color.

I've had silver cars almost all of my life. But I switched to MC Red on my Tesla and have not regretted it one bit. I think it highlights the lines of the car better than any other color. And it certainly gets attention:)

Here's mine at the Newark DE supercharger yesterday for the appliqué install.

DSC_5902.JPG

Last edited:
I've had silver cars almost all of my life. But I switched to MC Red on my Tesla and have regretted it one bit. I think it highlight the lines of the car better than any other color. And it certainly gets attention:)
Beautiful car. But I assume that when you wrote "I switched to MC Red on my Tesla and have regretted it one bit" what you meant was "I switched to MC Red on my Tesla and have NOT regretted it one bit." Correct?

I chose silver over red for my recent purchase for all the reasons OP mentions, but especially because I'm coming off of 15 years driving a dark blue car and I've had it up to here with it looking grungy all winter here in the snow belt. (It looked very fine when clean -- which was about twice a winter, for about an hour each time.) It also entered into my decision that I have a nearby friend with a red Model S, and I wanted something different. Actually, in OP's area that might be worth considering since I think there are a fair number of Model S on the road there -- what's the percentage of red ones? My impression is that it's high, so if having your car not look like everyone else's matters to you, red might not be the best choice? (But the reason the rate is so high, if indeed it is, is because it looks damn fine, after all.)

I've had silver cars almost all of my life. But I switched to MC Red on my Tesla and have (NOT) regretted it one bit. I think it highlight the lines of the car better than any other color. And it certainly gets attention:)
When the new blue appeared after locking in my order, I was starting to second-guess my choice of red. Your photo confirms my choice was the right one - I'm getting even more stoked for it now!

Well, I still haven't ordered yet (can't take delivery until August) and now it appears that TM has made my color decision for me by eliminating silver from the palette. But wait! Now there is a drop-dead gorgeous blue metallic whose name dujour seems to be Deep Blue Metallic (Ocean Blue Metallic for two days), so I'll have to see that before deciding on color.

Bruce, I was reading all the posts here before I asked if you had seen the new blue yet! Wow! I am torn between the blue and the MC red too. We should stay in touch. I'm looking at ordering in August. Love to hear what you order when you do pull the trigger!

- - - Updated - - -

When the new blue appeared after locking in my order, I was starting to second-guess my choice of red. Your photo confirms my choice was the right one - I'm getting even more stoked for it now!

Beeeerock, when did you order and when is your delivery date?