Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver or White? Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch, didn't expect so much "hate" on Silver. Don't you expect the car to be too much white with white interior? Thats what I am afraid with white colour.
I have been going back and forth on my colors and silver was my least favorite and I was settled on white (sort of)
When I saw silver and while together yesterday, I still like white but silver was very impressive with the chrome delete
If got the invite today I would not know which color to pick but my preferences are:
White
Silver
Red
Blue
Grey

Attachments

• 495080EA-5BAD-405B-9CB8-36DFCFCA7C18.jpeg
    495080EA-5BAD-405B-9CB8-36DFCFCA7C18.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: suwaneedad
Silver for us

We drove to the Minneapolis Tesla service center before ordering. Saw all colors on various model S/X. We really wanted to like the midnight silver - my wife had a graphite G37, and we just saw the gunmetal dark silver on a Porsche, both fabulous, The Tesla was OK but not as vibrant. I had dark blue on my P85D - and I thought one shade too dark. The current blue is one shade too light, especially in full sun. Red is fabulous, but we are past the age for flashy colors. So we settled for silver or gray. For us it was no question silver. Not regretting at all after taking delivery.

Reactions: suwaneedad
I ordered silver a week ago. When I bought my red S, I was coming from a silver Milan, but the silver S looked bland and red really was the best color for a 2014-style S with the bigger black nose cone. I think it looks silver looks great on the 3. The lighter colors highlight the lines and curves on the front of the 3. I saw midnight silver in a Tesla gallery, and it was boring to me. I also saw a blue outside in the rain, and it wasn’t as impressive as I thought it would be.

Our family voted and came up with this list. Since our Model X is already blue, we went with Red and we like it much more than we thought we would. One thing to consider is the lighter colors look best in a cloudy climate, the darker colors are magnificent in sunlight, but a bit drab when overcast. My .02

Blue
Red
Midnight Silver
White
Silver
Black

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
My personal view that only applies to me (well, and my wife)
Definitely try to see both on a Model 3.
The colors look different compared to either S or X.
We both got the opportunity today.
Decided on silver with 19’s and black interior.
Honestly thought I’d wait for the white interior, but apparently not.
Just can’t do a dark color in TX.
Just as well we got to do that, sounds like we are super close to getting an invite.

Good luck picking a color. I have been torn between white (my first thought) and red (more I saw it the more I like it) and honestly still haven't made up my own mind on my car. If you look at enough photos or in person under all different lighting conditions you will probably still not know which way to go. Blue has not been my favorite but I saw it in bright sunlight and it was really nice.

We have a midnight silver Model S so didn't want twins. Hubby's last car was a blue. I use to have a silver Plymouth Fury way back in the 70s with black roof and leather interior and will say silver was a much more popular car color back then. It was my husband's pick for our Model S until he gave the color choice over to me. He was thinking cooler temperature than a darker car. But the AC and pre-conditioning works so well really not a problem and doubt it will be in the Model 3. I do think the silver will show less dirt than the white if you aren't one to wash it all the time. Both I think will look great with the black accents of the exterior and interior. Now this is a nonsensical reason I'm weighing right now -- with both cars parked in our driveway against house colors what would look better o_O. As you can tell I'm looking for any good way other than flipping a coin to make my decision. Good Luck on your end!

Last edited:
Here's why I ordered silver, and yes I have seen white and silver with my eyeballs, next to one another, in the showroom as well as outside on a cloudy day. White shows a lot of road dirt on its rear; there is quite a bit of square footage on the rear of Model 3...lots of space to attract road dirt. Silver will mask that better until you get to the wash next. I'm also a fan of contrast, so in your case white on white would wash out the paint one moment, and wash out the seats the next moment. I also intend to run my silver 3 with uncovered Aeros the vast majority of the time, providing me nice contrast between silver paint and dark tires/dark wheels. The overall reason I am getting silver is that I expect to own my 3 for 15-20 years, and the dark colors are going to show more rock chips/etc over the years than the silver will. All that said, if I were getting the shiny 19s, I'd be getting a dark color to set off against the 19s' brightness...but this is why I'm not getting the 19s...too bright = not enough contrast vs my silver 'longevity' paint. As an added bonus, silver is the most rare color of Model 3, as it turns out...everyone's so busy trying to be unique by ordering another color, that silver has turned out to be the 'most unique' color as of now. I did not consider white because of road dirt on the rear, and I already own a white car so another would be boring.

Reactions: Lem89
Silver with the white interior is by far the best color.
White is so 1999, in Belgium a color witch is over and "passé".
Red only looks good on one car, Ferrari.
Blue only looks good in bright light.
The rest is plain and boring.
But that is a personal opinion

I vote white, but then again all my cars have been white for a while so maybe I'm biased ;). My wife experimented with silver, but went back to white a few years ago. The only other Tesla color she said she would consider was the Signature Red, but that hasn't been available since 2012, so she's has a white MS (actually had one, it just got totaled by a DUI driver, new white one on the way).

I have owned several silver cars over the years. The color hides dirt better. I remember a joke on the Audi TT forums that silver was the fastest color. So I bought a silver TT. Was it faster...physiologically I thought it was.

I have a few weeks to take delivery of a silver M3. My wife has the midnight blue model x. I like that color but did not want two cars of the same color. White is such a common color especially with all those transit vans and commercial work vans.

Taken from an article online....

Researchers had two cars in the sun for an hour, one black and the other silver, parked facing south, in Sacramento, California. The silver Honda Civic (shell SR 0.57) had a cabin air temperature of about 5-6°C (9-11°F) lower than an identical black car (shell SR 0.05).

A silver (or white) shell would allow for a lower-capacity air conditioner as well. The cars were run through five identical cycles of soaking in the sun. Each cycle consisted of an hour with the air conditioners off, followed by a half hour of cooling with the air conditioners running at maximum. The researchers measured the roof, ceiling, dashboard, windshield, seat, door, vent air and cabin air temperatures in each car along with weather conditions in the lot.

Another funny article stated what the color silver says about you....

The metallic gleam of silver shines bright with innovation. Think stainless steel appliances and silver technology. It's the color of security and style.

A silver car color indicates that you're a high-class lady or gentleman with an eye on the upscale. Your status is higher in the world, and you're not afraid to show it.

Last edited:
My previous car (bought in '99) was silver and I loved it. But for some reason, the silver on the 3 just looks duller. I never thought I'd ever get a white car because of the "fleet" feeling that @MMHouston mentions. But I kept coming back to it with the 3, and that's what I ultimately configured. I think the dark aeros contrast nicely, and I'm also going to tint the back windows. Might delete the chrome as well. Also, Tesla's pearlescent white looks richer than a fleet white van or Prius.