TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Silver paint question

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by JeffC, May 19, 2016.

1. JeffC

JeffC Member

Hi folks, I recently reserved a Model 3, and am thinking about getting a Model S to bridge the gap and start doing some autopilot road trips for a couple years. I like silver as an exterior color, but am a bit confused about the current color. What is the silver currently coming out of the factory? Is it different from the older silver? (I could actually go over the the factory to look too. Silver seems so rare today that I'm not sure the dealers have many. :)

Older Model S had a silver that's bright silver, maybe even lighter than the chrome trim. Is the current silver dark, like pewter grey? By pure coincidence I saw a Model S driving on my street today, and it was quite dark like pewter, but not the very dark, almost black current color which I think is called Midnight Silver Metallic. The latter is almost a metallic black, but is a little lighter than the Obsidian Black Metallic. (I would definitely call Midnight Silver Metallic a lot closer to black than silver.)

TBH I'm looking for a color that's very low key, almost the color of slightly faded asphalt, and the grey I saw today, while metallic, seemed to be almost exactly that. It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but I want to know what Tesla calls it. It seemed quite a bit darker than the current Silver Metallic, at least how the latter shows up on the Model S configurator.

BTW I plan to get the Model 3 in the silver color (the middle car in the reveal), unless something else looks better when they finally go into production. The silver really highlighted the lines well, and is pretty cool in a good way.

• Like x 1
  2. JeffC

JeffC Member

Well for some reason I can't edit my original message above, so I'll add here: I'm looking for a stealthy color.

One of my favorite colors was the non-metallic, but glossy battleship grey that was available on Model S before, but not currently. The dark silver I saw today was a little darker and metallic. The metallic was a little more normal looking than the battleship gray.

I should definitely pop over to the dealer too.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

You can view all the currently available colors here Order your Tesla Model S | Tesla Motors

There is a "Silver Metallic" (which is rather "light" and has always been available except for a short time in 2015) and a "Midnight Silver Metallic" (which is, obviously, rather dark and is one of the newer colors).

4. Boourns

Boourns Member

Another member just took delivery of a midnight silver 70D and included a bunch of good photos. It looks pretty dark.

EDIT: Here's the thread.

5. JeffC

JeffC Member

Thanks much ecarfan. That agrees with what I'm seeing too.

A couple questions: Would you say the Midnight is very close to black? Any clues what the medium metallic grey was (i.e. the color apparently not on the current Model S design studio)? Related: do you have the battleship grey or the medium metallic grey? Just trying to figure out what that medium grey is called. :)

6. JeffC

JeffC Member

Hmm, that's actually very helpful. That may have been the "medium" grey I saw. Note how it's only a bit darker than the asphalt, at least in the pictures. I would definitely call it a dark grey and not black? Does it look that way to you too?

7. Boourns

Boourns Member

I'd call that gray for sure.

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Could it have been Grey Metallic? If so, they don't offer that color currently.

9. JeffC

JeffC Member

Yes, but is that a currently available color? I don't seem to see it on the Model S design studio, unless it's also called "midnight silver metallic". Just confused if they're the same color or different.

10. MorrisonHiker

Midnight Silver Metallic and Grey Metallic are two different colors. Of the two, currently only Midnight Silver Metallic is available.

11. JeffC

JeffC Member

Hmm, that would be unfortunate, since I can't find an inventory car with the features I want, and custom build would seem to be the way to get the color and features.

12. MorrisonHiker

I see they have 10 Grey Metallic CPOs currently listed. It looks like they only have S60s for now. Hopefully they will have a CPO with the specs you are looking for one of these days.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The no longer available grey metallic is very different from the current Midnight Silver Metallic, it was lighter and had hints of blue and green in it, and the metallic flake was more subdued in my opinion. Very pretty color. In late 2013 when I was configuring my S I almost got it instead of the light silver.

14. JeffC

JeffC Member

Thanks for the additional info. Some metallics have fine structure in the flakes, while some are coarser. The finer ones are more subtle and interesting IMO. The blue and green may have come from refractions in the flakes. That was a new effect paint suppliers came up with a few years ago. It's probably being used in the Pearlescent White and possibly the metallic red too. Will need to take a closer look at them next time.

Definitely agree the Grey Metallic a very nice color, like a sophisticated suit. It's my favorite by far of the recent colors. Really disappointed they've apparently cancelled it. They may have cancelled it this month (May 2016), based on April deliveries and inventory cars. :(

My next favorites are silver and titanium, but the latter is a bit too brown for me. Silver, being lighter than either titanium or grey metallic, should have the advantage of lower solar loading, i.e., being cooler. Will need to take a closer look at both next time I'm at the dealer.

15. JeffC

JeffC Member

#15 JeffC, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Wow, the silver is really sharp! Is it bit darker than the older silver, or unchanged? (Or maybe the picture is from a dark day?) Really catches and light and shadow well. The color looks similar to the Model 3 preproduction prototype (unveiling) silver.

Also, the new nose is an improvement over the black cone, but still a bit odd. It's really nicely done, with very tasteful scuptural shapes, but it's a bit of a strange shape overall. The middle part of the new nose looks a bit like the EV1, but with an air intake added below it, which EV1 didn't have.

16. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

image.jpeg

The one that is second from left is the Silver and the one that is fifth from left is Midnight Silver.

17. JeffC

JeffC Member

Thanks much Bonlaw! The silver is exactly as I remembered it. But now I'm a little confused about the Midnight Silver. It looks not as dark as I was expecting and a bit like the Grey Metallic. Is there some way to confirm which one it is? Is there a larger picture of it?

Whichever color it is, I really like it because it's the most stealthy of the cars there. I guess I'm just not into flash.:cool:

18. H2OU

H2OU Member

Midnight Silver Metallic is dark grey with a hint of navy blue under bright light conditions. The color in person looks very similar to how it appears on Tesla's website. The Silver Metallic is a light colored silver.

19. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

We had both the old Dolphin gray and the Midnight Silver at the meet up. So maybe that was the Dolphin. At one point the two grays were parked closer to each other and I even remarked to my husband how much darker the Midnight Silver was - but definitely will not be mistaken for black like the old blue or green. It is a stealth look.

20. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok. Here is the pic with both. The Dolphin is on the right side and Midnight Silver is two cars down to the right.
    The difference in color is more noticeable in person.