Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver paint question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wow, the silver is really sharp! Is it bit darker than the older silver, or unchanged? (Or maybe the picture is from a dark day?) Really catches and light and shadow well. The color looks similar to the Model 3 preproduction prototype (unveiling) silver.

Also, the new nose is an improvement over the black cone, but still a bit odd. It's really nicely done, with very tasteful scuptural shapes, but it's a bit of a strange shape overall. The middle part of the new nose looks a bit like the EV1, but with an air intake added below it, which EV1 didn't have.

It's a really rich silver, but very subtle - that's actually why I got it, plus it's the easiest color to keep looking clean in a Minnesota winter! I took a few more photos this morning in bright sun at the request of another member...

Ok. Here is the pic with both. The Dolphin is on the right side and Midnight Silver is two cars down to the right.
The difference in color is more noticeable in person.
Thanks again Bonlaw, that really helps! All three colors I'm interested in are there, Silver Metallic, Midnight Silver Metallic, and likely the discontinued Grey Metallic which you're calling dolphin grey.

I'm still getting the same impression: for me, the silver is a bit too light and the Midnight is a bit too dark. The discontinued Grey Metallic is also a bit dark, but probably my favorite. All of the colors are pretty in their own way; it's about personal likes.

If you're in touch with the dolphin owner can I trouble you ask them if it's Grey Metallic?

It's a really rich silver, but very subtle - that's actually why I got it, plus it's the easiest color to keep looking clean in a Minnesota winter! I took a few more photos this morning in bright sun at the request of another member...
Thanks much for the additional pictures, Jules! Model S really does look sharp in that color. It really brings out the lines and shapes of the car well. Can you confirm it's the color called Silver Metallic? (I'm 99.99% sure it is; just want to check.)

Also in bright sunlight, it does look like the original silver, so maybe the silver is unchanged over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Julesp313
Another member just took delivery of a midnight silver 70D and included a bunch of good photos. It looks pretty dark.

EDIT: Here's the thread.
Thanks much Boourns, that's really helpful. The Midnight Silver is definitely a dark grey, and darker than the discontinued Grey Metallic, but I also like it. It's definitely a grey and not black, at least in those pictures. Very low key, which is what I like. Wow, it's like a very sharp dark grey suit!

Thanks much Boourns, that's really helpful. The Midnight Silver is definitely a dark grey, and darker than the discontinued Grey Metallic, but I also like it. It's definitely a grey and not black, at least in those pictures. Very low key, which is what I like. Wow, it's like a very sharp dark grey suit!

I looks exactly like a dark gray/charcoal suit. The only "gray" was the original called Dolphin Gray.

Thanks for sharing your pics because I wanted to see the silver with a facelift. I got that silver for similar reasons -- stays looking clean for a long time.
I'm still getting the same impression: for me, the silver is a bit too light and the Midnight is a bit too dark. The discontinued Grey Metallic is also a bit dark, but probably my favorite. All of the colors are pretty in their own way; it's about personal likes.
Agreed. I might have gotten Gray Metallic if it was available to order November 2015. I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of the colors though.

The names of colors change but sometimes the color doesn't. I think that applies to the Midnight Silver and Titanium
( which I had an was originally called Warm Silver).

I found this on a quick search. Compares both from closer up and many angles. Hope the link works.

New Grey for Model S
Thanks much. That's a really useful posting, showing the Dolphin Grey and Steel Grey colors side by side. I'm assuming those are two colors no longer available, and that they're probably not the same as the also discontinued Grey Metallic. Does any of that sound right? :)

They're all nice in their own way, and I'd be very happy with any of the three. But they're no longer available. :(

Thanks for sharing your pics because I wanted to see the silver with a facelift. I got that silver for similar reasons -- stays looking clean for a long time.

Agreed. I might have gotten Gray Metallic if it was available to order November 2015. I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of the colors though.
The new front fascia does look good in the silver. I'm definitely leaning towards the silver mainly because it may keep the car cooler than the darker colors. I still like the various grey colors a little better. But the silver shows off the cars lines a bit better than the darker colors.

Thanks much. That's a really useful posting, showing the Dolphin Grey and Steel Grey colors side by side. I'm assuming those are two colors no longer available, and that they're probably not the same as the also discontinued Grey Metallic. Does any of that sound right? :)

They're all nice in their own way, and I'd be very happy with any of the three. But they're no longer available. :(

Unless someone says I'm wrong I think you are mixing up colors and names. Original gray was called Dolphin Gray and was discontinued about a year ago When the Midnight Silver Metallic as introduced. Silver Metallic was discontinued at the same time as Dolphin Gray, but then later returned. Available now are the Midnight Silver Metallic and the Silver Metallic.

Hope that helps.

Hi folks, I recently reserved a Model 3, and am thinking about getting a Model S to bridge the gap and start doing some autopilot road trips for a couple years. I like silver as an exterior color, but am a bit confused about the current color. What is the silver currently coming out of the factory? Is it different from the older silver? (I could actually go over the the factory to look too. Silver seems so rare today that I'm not sure the dealers have many. :)

Older Model S had a silver that's bright silver, maybe even lighter than the chrome trim. Is the current silver dark, like pewter grey? By pure coincidence I saw a Model S driving on my street today, and it was quite dark like pewter, but not the very dark, almost black current color which I think is called Midnight Silver Metallic. The latter is almost a metallic black, but is a little lighter than the Obsidian Black Metallic. (I would definitely call Midnight Silver Metallic a lot closer to black than silver.)

TBH I'm looking for a color that's very low key, almost the color of slightly faded asphalt, and the grey I saw today, while metallic, seemed to be almost exactly that. It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but I want to know what Tesla calls it. It seemed quite a bit darker than the current Silver Metallic, at least how the latter shows up on the Model S configurator.

BTW I plan to get the Model 3 in the silver color (the middle car in the reveal), unless something else looks better when they finally go into production. The silver really highlighted the lines well, and is pretty cool in a good way.

In case you missed this pic of M3 silver

Model 3 Sighting Not Quite in the Wild

Unless someone says I'm wrong I think you are mixing up colors and names. Original gray was called Dolphin Gray and was discontinued about a year ago When the Midnight Silver Metallic as introduced. Silver Metallic was discontinued at the same time as Dolphin Gray, but then later returned. Available now are the Midnight Silver Metallic and the Silver Metallic.

Hope that helps.
The colors are definitely confusing. The only ones I'm sure about now are the Silver (which is basically an original color), and the Midnight Silver, which is new. I think there was a Grey Metallic that seems very similar to the Dolphin Grey. Pretty sure the former was an official color name. TBH, it's all a bit confusing. Seems like there may have been at least 3 different grey colors, 4 if you count Midnight Silver, which looks like a very dark grey to me. Once upon a time there was also a non-metallic battleship grey similar to some Audis. No idea what its color name was.

It's the medium grey metallic ones I like the best, and there don't seem to be any currently offered. Seems like there were at least 2 or 3 variants of medium grey metallic. The Steel Grey was a little darker and more blue-violet.

Glad to have help navigating the somewhat confusing colors. Still need to get down to the dealer and see how dark Midnight Silver is.

Last edited:
Sorry, missed the question about the color - yes, it is silver metallic. The image on the build page looks way darker than in person - it really is a light silver. I love it - can't get enough of just staring at it, which is really hampering my productivity at work!

The midnight silver metallic is very dark - to me, it looks almost black and it was just too dark for me. I would've loved a similar color to the Lexus I just sold, which was much more of a mid gray and less silver, but this silver is just right the more I look at it.

Sorry, missed the question about the color - yes, it is silver metallic. The image on the build page looks way darker than in person - it really is a light silver. I love it - can't get enough of just staring at it, which is really hampering my productivity at work!

The midnight silver metallic is very dark - to me, it looks almost black and it was just too dark for me. I would've loved a similar color to the Lexus I just sold, which was much more of a mid gray and less silver, but this silver is just right the more I look at it.
Thanks Jules. The Silver is indeed very nice. It's the color I'm most likely getting too. Glad to hear you also found the Midnight Silver very dark.

If the previous messages are right, there were at least 3 or 4 different medium greys before, and none now.

View attachment 177672 View attachment 177670 View attachment 177668

The car on these pictures look fantastic, Julesp313. :) Still satisfied with it? and how does it look after a few weeks (and maybe som rain and dirt)? You also refer to some addtional pictures, I cannot find them... Could you upload them again, please, or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Best regards,
PS. Currently having to very quickly a decision on obsidian black vs. silver. After these pictures, Silver is in the lead..! ;-)

The car on these pictures look fantastic, Julesp313. :) Still satisfied with it? and how does it look after a few weeks (and maybe som rain and dirt)? You also refer to some addtional pictures, I cannot find them... Could you upload them again, please, or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Yes, still absolutely satisfied with it - very happy with the color choice. It's been rained on several times and driven to the horse barn several days a week (aka, MUD) and still looks great. Not sure where the other post is with the photos but I'll see if I can find them and repost...