Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver Plasti Dipped Aeros project on Silver Model 3

plasmo

Mar 12, 2016
Chicago
Finished changing my black Aeros to Silver (Bright Aluminum) using Plasti dip!

I didn't like how the black Aeros looked on the Silver Model 3, so I decided to dip them and think it turned out much better than the originals.

Before:
IMG_2097.JPG

I didn't like the black Aeros, so I removed them and put on black lug nut covers:
IMG_2127.JPG

This was better, but I think the silver dipped Aeros looks much better:
IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

BOZTE1803.JPG

plasmo

Mar 12, 2016
Chicago
The whole project cost about $52 to do.
I used 3 Black color dip cans to apply 6 coats each ($5.99/ea at local Home Depot)
and 3 Bright Aluminum Metalizer cans to apply 6 coats each ($11.30 at dipyourcar.com)

Took a total of about 3 days to do, but I spread it out over a week because I was waiting for the silver cans to arrive in the mail (none of my local shops had Bright aluminum color in stock).

Here are some pics of the progression:
IMG_2497.JPG

Masked center logo:
IMG_2498.JPG

First black coat (wet):
IMG_2503.JPG

After 6 black coats:
IMG_2522.JPG

First Bright Aluminum coat:
IMG_2548.JPG

After 6 Bright Aluminum coats:
IMG_2576.JPG

plasmo

Mar 12, 2016
Chicago
Nice job! I've considered doing this exact project myself. Thanks for sharing how it looks!
thanks. It was enjoyable doing this myself, and now I want to plasti dip everything because it is so fun ;)
Once I get bored of this look, my next project will probably be to remove the Aeros and plasti dip the wheel spokes silver.

Reactions: slipnslider

Abstrakt1

Aug 21, 2018
Sandy
I will always prefer the Aeros off but I think the silver looks good with your car for when you need the extra aero range. Glad to see you went for it on the DIY.

Reactions: jpfive

stedlj

Jun 11, 2019
Wisconsin
I thought I would post my take on painting the Aero rims. I taped them with standard blue painting tape and applied 6 coats of Plasti-dip Silver (Bright Aluminum) and 2 coats of Plasti Dip Glossifier.

Attachments

• Sapphire_01.jpg
    Sapphire_01.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: KenC

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Nice, looks more space-shippy!
The whole project cost about $52 to do.
I used 3 Black color dip cans to apply 6 coats each ($5.99/ea at local Home Depot)
and 3 Bright Aluminum Metalizer cans to apply 6 coats each ($11.30 at dipyourcar.com)

Took a total of about 3 days to do, but I spread it out over a week because I was waiting for the silver cans to arrive in the mail (none of my local shops had Bright aluminum color in stock).

Here are some pics of the progression:
View attachment 344800

Masked center logo:
View attachment 344801

First black coat (wet):
View attachment 344802

After 6 black coats:
View attachment 344803

First Bright Aluminum coat:
View attachment 344804

After 6 Bright Aluminum coats:
View attachment 344805

Roys3

Mar 3, 2017
Harbor
Very nice. I was just wondering what a 2-tone wheel would look like! Did you consider the reverse color combo? Original dark spokes, with silver inserts, like Stedlj?
Worth a try for sure, might look nice.
I did considered it, but my trial and error process ended with the version you see.
I still like it today, after many months of looking at it.

• Informative
Reactions: chinnam3 and KenC

sneakypotato

Aug 25, 2017
Herriman, UT

I didn't like how the black Aeros looked on the Silver Model 3, so I decided to dip them and think it turned out much better than the originals.

Before:
View attachment 344786

I didn't like the black Aeros, so I removed them and put on black lug nut covers:
View attachment 344787

View attachment 344788

View attachment 344791
View attachment 344792
View attachment 344793
View attachment 344794

I have hated EVERY single aero mod that I've seen, with the exception of this one. Massive improvement!

Reactions: plasmo

stedlj

Jun 11, 2019
Wisconsin
How is the Plasti-dip holding up with everyday driving ?
It has been about 5 weeks since I plasti-dipped mine and they look the same as when I finished them. I will report back in a few months, I am really wondering about how they will handle the Wisconsin winter.

plasmo

Mar 12, 2016
Chicago
It has been about 5 weeks since I plasti-dipped mine and they look the same as when I finished them. I will report back in a few months, I am really wondering about how they will handle the Wisconsin winter.
mine has held out since starting this thread almost a year ago... still looks the same, even through the brutal Chicago arctic freeze winter last year

Last edited:

AlohaMD

Dec 20, 2019
Hawaii
Amazing job! Was looking to do or buy something like this. The aero caps look way too dark and similar to my MSM I got on 12/11!

Before:
View attachment 344786

View attachment 344787

View attachment 344788

View attachment 344791
View attachment 344792
View attachment 344793
View attachment 344794

stedlj

Jun 11, 2019
Wisconsin
It has now been through a Wisconsin winter and a number of washings including a few touchless automated carwashers. I can say they look the same as it did back in August. We had a mild winter but I put on a fair about of miles and it has held up well.

jkoya

NA2 NSX
Nov 21, 2018
Northern CA
It has now been through a Wisconsin winter and a number of washings including a few touchless automated carwashers. I can say they look the same as it did back in August. We had a mild winter but I put on a fair about of miles and it has held up well.

Great to hear they survived the winter and the car washes. I bought the Brass Monkey wheel kit for my Titan7 wheels, but I was waiting for the weather to warm up before I apply the Plastidip. Thanks for the update.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC