Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver Plasti Dipped Aeros project on Silver Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finished changing my black Aeros to Silver (Bright Aluminum) using Plasti dip!

I didn't like how the black Aeros looked on the Silver Model 3, so I decided to dip them and think it turned out much better than the originals.

Before:
IMG_2097.JPG

I didn't like the black Aeros, so I removed them and put on black lug nut covers:
IMG_2127.JPG

This was better, but I think the silver dipped Aeros looks much better:
IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

BOZTE1803.JPG

The whole project cost about $52 to do.
I used 3 Black color dip cans to apply 6 coats each ($5.99/ea at local Home Depot)
and 3 Bright Aluminum Metalizer cans to apply 6 coats each ($11.30 at dipyourcar.com)

Took a total of about 3 days to do, but I spread it out over a week because I was waiting for the silver cans to arrive in the mail (none of my local shops had Bright aluminum color in stock).

Here are some pics of the progression:
IMG_2497.JPG

Masked center logo:
IMG_2498.JPG

First black coat (wet):
IMG_2503.JPG

After 6 black coats:
IMG_2522.JPG

First Bright Aluminum coat:
IMG_2548.JPG

After 6 Bright Aluminum coats:
IMG_2576.JPG

I thought I would post my take on painting the Aero rims. I taped them with standard blue painting tape and applied 6 coats of Plasti-dip Silver (Bright Aluminum) and 2 coats of Plasti Dip Glossifier.

Attachments

• Sapphire_01.jpg
    Sapphire_01.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 267
Reactions: KenC
Nice, looks more space-shippy!
The whole project cost about $52 to do.
I used 3 Black color dip cans to apply 6 coats each ($5.99/ea at local Home Depot)
and 3 Bright Aluminum Metalizer cans to apply 6 coats each ($11.30 at dipyourcar.com)

Took a total of about 3 days to do, but I spread it out over a week because I was waiting for the silver cans to arrive in the mail (none of my local shops had Bright aluminum color in stock).

Here are some pics of the progression:
View attachment 344800

Masked center logo:
View attachment 344801

First black coat (wet):
View attachment 344802

After 6 black coats:
View attachment 344803

First Bright Aluminum coat:
View attachment 344804

After 6 Bright Aluminum coats:
View attachment 344805

I didn't like how the black Aeros looked on the Silver Model 3, so I decided to dip them and think it turned out much better than the originals.

Before:
View attachment 344786

I didn't like the black Aeros, so I removed them and put on black lug nut covers:
View attachment 344787

View attachment 344788

View attachment 344791
View attachment 344792
View attachment 344793
View attachment 344794

I have hated EVERY single aero mod that I've seen, with the exception of this one. Massive improvement!

Reactions: plasmo
It has been about 5 weeks since I plasti-dipped mine and they look the same as when I finished them. I will report back in a few months, I am really wondering about how they will handle the Wisconsin winter.
mine has held out since starting this thread almost a year ago... still looks the same, even through the brutal Chicago arctic freeze winter last year

Last edited:
Amazing job! Was looking to do or buy something like this. The aero caps look way too dark and similar to my MSM I got on 12/11!

Before:
View attachment 344786

View attachment 344787

View attachment 344788

View attachment 344791
View attachment 344792
View attachment 344793
View attachment 344794

It has now been through a Wisconsin winter and a number of washings including a few touchless automated carwashers. I can say they look the same as it did back in August. We had a mild winter but I put on a fair about of miles and it has held up well.

It has now been through a Wisconsin winter and a number of washings including a few touchless automated carwashers. I can say they look the same as it did back in August. We had a mild winter but I put on a fair about of miles and it has held up well.

Great to hear they survived the winter and the car washes. I bought the Brass Monkey wheel kit for my Titan7 wheels, but I was waiting for the weather to warm up before I apply the Plastidip. Thanks for the update.