TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Silver turbines discontinued

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jjdsyd, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jjdsyd

Jjdsyd Member

I see Tesla no longer offers the 21" turbine wheels in silver. I guess they pulled them when they made the other changes (no tan, no leather etc...)?

As sign of the times - everybody wants black/ dark wheels these days. I must be old school but I think the midnight silver looks really good with the silver wheels.

• Like x 2
  2. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

You are not alone. I would really have a hard time selecting wheels for a new Tesla order and am glad that I had more choice for my previous cars. I really dislike dark wheels on darker cars (they do have their place on lighter colors).

I understand many like them and appreciate those choices are available, but I would welcome the return of more silver wheels and more wheel designs. As an additional problem I dislike the turbine type of design, so there is nothing "for me" in the current factory selection.

I really like the Arachnids, though. Those or something similar in silver for both Model S and X in the Design Studio would work great for me.

3. Thorbjorn

Thorbjorn Member

I asked a Tesla sales rep about this and he said it was because dark was so much more popular, and no one bought silver.
    I think this is obviously sales BS and that he has no clue about the real reason. The demo car he was standing next to
    had silver 21"... :D

My take on this is that they are phasing out the current wheel design.
    They are now out of silver and once dark is out, they will introduce the new design.

• Like x 1
  4. kev1n

kev1n Member

i dont know if that is total bs. every modded tesla i see these days is usually black out everything... seems to be the trend for tesla owners but it is definitely not my cup of tea

5. Thorbjorn

Thorbjorn Member

Hmm okay. Maybe different in the US then. Here in Norway I see mostly silver 21/22

6. Buster1

Buster1 Member

I won't do black wheels. Ever.

Tesla pulling the silver 21s made my decision easy for my upcoming order.

7. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

8. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Wow, for $6k!!! It was a $4500 option at the time of purchase.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The one advantage of black wheels is that they look dirty all of the time;)

10. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Dark is apparently so popular Tesla can get away with charging $2500 to change nothing but the color on the wheels. Or you could just get it professionally powder coated for $200-$400 after purchase.

WTF.

• Like x 2
  11. kev1n

kev1n Member

or just buy a set of steelies, its pretty much the same thing haha

12. MassX1317

MassX1317 Addicted to TMC

It would be really awesome if Tesla changed the trim to match your wheel color! Would love a stock, all black X or S. I think the black wheels with chrome trim looks off.

• Like x 1