Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silverstone Track day in a Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I race there a few times every (normal) year in a historic Morgan. It’s a great circuit. What’s your top speed at the end of the hangar straight? That would tell us something about the aerodynamics of the Model 3. I have never dared take my Model S on the track!

Top speed was 132mph on that lap - you can just about see it in the top right hand of the screen on the video. I reckon there's definitely a few more miles an hour in there with a full battery and a better exit from Becketts. First time I've driven the track though so I've not got anything to compare it to.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Great to see more M3Ps on track!
I'd recommend Brands Hatch and Abingdon airfield circuit. Shorter circuits than Silverstone GP so you 'll get more laps from your battery (35-ish at Brands Indy). Both have Supercharging within 20 minutes drive or so, but obviously the travel time + charging time to and from is something you have to factor into your day.
At Brands, there are several track evening sessions which makes it more cost effective, but I realise it's not ideal if you're travelling from Bristol.
You'll still get brake temp. warnings with uprated pads, but that's because the software doesnt know.
Charging infrastructure is going to be the limiting factor for all of us tracking our Teslas for the forseeable future. Al we can do is lobby Tesla and the circuit owners and hope they see the benefit.
The more of us getting out there with our cars, the quicker things will change.

Reactions: preseh
Very nice, thanks. Figured laps would be limited severely of the M3P just given how fast the power drain increases with speed. Battery combined heating from high discharge rate and high regen breaking rate is interesting as well. Have to believe we'll see superchargers at the major tracks eventually, especially here in the US. Smart move changing brake fluid to racing brake fluid! That will pay off if you reduce regen breaking since heat with high speed braking of a relatively heavy car would be expected. Had problems with fluid at Watkins Glen lapping a Mitsubishi 3000 VR4 (3,600 lbs) and had to back off. Would definitely use competition brake fluid doing lapping at any of these high speed tracks! How did your tires hold up? Michelin Pilot Sports?

Racerender 3 will read that CSV file. You just have to make your own template and graphics.
What we need is a way to graph the data from Track Mode so we can overlay speed etc. traces on a laptop or smart device. Video overlays are fine but take too much time to generate. You couldn't realistically do it at the track and that's what 's needed when testing setups and driver coaching etc.

Very nice, thanks. Figured laps would be limited severely of the M3P just given how fast the power drain increases with speed. Battery combined heating from high discharge rate and high regen breaking rate is interesting as well. Have to believe we'll see superchargers at the major tracks eventually, especially here in the US. Smart move changing brake fluid to racing brake fluid! That will pay off if you reduce regen breaking since heat with high speed braking of a relatively heavy car would be expected. Had problems with fluid at Watkins Glen lapping a Mitsubishi 3000 VR4 (3,600 lbs) and had to back off. Would definitely use competition brake fluid doing lapping at any of these high speed tracks! How did your tires hold up? Michelin Pilot Sports?

Yeah in hindsight I should have reduced the regen braking and let the brakes do more of the work. The tyres held up very well - the car was fantastic in the morning on a wet track and then in the afternoon I let around 10psi out and they were worked really well.

For those in California, I've done Tesla Corsa at Buttonwillow, and it's a really well-organized event for Tesla-only rounds on the track. Supercharger is about 10 minutes away. No trouble with brake fade on my M3P, but then again I have a lot of room for improvement in my track driving.

Waiting for another Norcal one from them. I think they've only had one up here so far, and I wasn't able to make that one last year.

@preseh They don't make you keep front windows down completely? They do here in the states.

My brother was at this track day (that’s him in ‘German M3’ disappearing off passed the Lotus). He told me all about the M3s there, he was quite impressed. Nice clean lap mate.

I’m not convinced to take my M3P on track yet, I love my car on the road but on the track I worry the excitement is taken away by the quiet progress and the lack of opposite lock moments on account of the superb vectoring. It’s the one place I’m not yet prepared to give up petrol, though I have sold my track car and built a sim rig which has rather helped my CO2 output.

Got a feeling that Brands Indy or Castle Combe might be the best places for the M3P which is impressive if true, for such a heavy car.

Ah yeah, he was flying round. Some very quick machines out on track. It actually wasn't as 'numbing' as I thought it might have been. It's a different experience because you can focus in on more on the tyre noises. I found the default race setting was a bit too intrusive though so you'd want to adjust that right down if you're used to track cars.

Fantastic video! You looked very quick and smooth; have you done this before, or is it all the car?

Thanks! :) It's my first time on track with the Tesla and my first time at Silverstone but I have a track car I usually drive. The Tesla is definitely helping cover up any mistakes though especially in the wet where it was driving past Porsches for fun :D

Not quite up to SuC standards perhaps but there are actually rapids at Silverstone... I suspect it would have been quicker to use these than drive to and from the nearest Supercharger and get a faster charge..

Silverstone Circuit Wing electric vehicle charging point, Towcester, NN12 8GX

Not necessarily. Two of us shared an Instavolt dual charger today to top up at lunchtime during a track day. We saw 76kW at one point but it then dropped to about 25kW for both of us and after wasting 40 minutes to get about 10% we ended up driving to the nearest SuC 20 minutes away. For whatever reason, the 3rd party charger didn't work well enough and we won't bother with it next time we go there.

This is the reality of charging in the UK currently. We just need more Superchargers.

Interesting! Some good info there. I've never driven Thruxon so that'd definitely be one for me to consider. The last day I did at Abingdon was so busy that it ended up being a bit of a procession. I think for the time being I'll be leaving the M3P at home unless I know it's going to be raining for a track day and that's where you can actually enjoy yourself in the M3P with less fear of ending up backwards in a barrier.

Reactions: Neilio
Top speed was 132mph on that lap - you can just about see it in the top right hand of the screen on the video. I reckon there's definitely a few more miles an hour in there with a full battery and a better exit from Becketts. First time I've driven the track though so I've not got anything to compare it to.
Looking at your lines you definitely lost 1-2 seconds at Maggots/Becketts, and I could see another total 2-3 seconds at various places. That would net to a damn good lap time! Not of course that you can measure that on a track day :)
From memory there is a Chademo charger on the inner road past the new pits though you need a code from the circuit to use it.

Reactions: Neilio and preseh
@preseh I forgot to mention Thruxton - great track, not too far from you and a fast charger on site.
This is good to know. Thruxton my local track, I think I'll take mine when it finally arrives!

Has anyone taken a Tesla to the Nurburging? I imagine with the elevation change and sheer length, you wouldn't make it round a full lap before the performance throttles itself back

What we need is a way to graph the data from Track Mode so we can overlay speed etc. traces on a laptop or smart device. Video overlays are fine but take too much time to generate. You couldn't realistically do it at the track and that's what 's needed when testing setups and driver coaching etc.

Actually you can do this at the track. I do it. Once you make a template it is easy as drag and drop video and cvs file. Then sync timing... Can do it in minutes. But I do agree, there could be better solutions. Video review with TM data straight from the Model 3 screen would be king.

Actually you can do this at the track. I do it. Once you make a template it is easy as drag and drop video and cvs file. Then sync timing... Can do it in minutes. But I do agree, there could be better solutions. Video review with TM data straight from the Model 3 screen would be king.
I've got several templates I use in RR this but it still involves modiying the .CSV file before bringing it in so the lap times are correct and RR doesn't seem to like the video files from the car so I have to convert them first or use a GoPro, which then makes it less easy to sync.

I don't even need the video for a lot of analysis - just a trace of the speed, accel. braking on a graph would be fine to start with.