Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silverthorne - Cheyenne - Silverthorne

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder what people think about range and performance on this corridor. My estimate is that the westward path could be an issue, or at least people should be careful with range. Cheyenne to the I-25/I-70 turn is about 100 road miles with a 10% decline. In winter 34.0 KwH (?). Then west on I-70 to Silverthorne is 70 miles BUT will take about the same energy, with the significant climb to the Continental Divide. So I don't see how a S60 can do it, and an S85 had better top off in Wyoming, to get to the summit with 10KwH or so .... Just thinking about the cross-country trekkers.... There is not much up there past Idaho Springs, and nobody wants to see an MS on a flatbed with no juice. Maybe a warning/advise sign as the SC in Cheyenne would be an idea.

Cross country trekkers should be stopping somewhere in Denver to top off before attempting the climb, especially in Winter. There are plenty of options along the route between Ft. Collins and Golden so it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Yep. I noticed this weekend that E-usage from the house to the tunnel was 15% more than September, and it was pretty warm. What was 100 range miles became 116. Probably 125 today with ten degrees average temp.
People should be fine on the leg from Cheyenne, so long as they are aware ......

Of course they just have to make it thru the Tunnel since the last ~9 miles is all downhill with massive regen. So you can enter the tunnel as it ticks down to zero miles with impunity.
--

Exactly! I typically get 6-7 rated miles of regen coming down that hill.

The top of the tunnel is at about 11,000 ft, and Cheyenne is at about 6,000 feet, difference of 5,000 feet. At 7 mi/1,000ft, that is 35 rated miles of potential energy. To get to the top of the Eisenhower Tunnel from the Cheyenne Supercharger, it is about 159 miles. A range charge to 250 rated miles minus the 35 rated miles to get to 11,000 feet leaves you with 215 rated miles to drive 159 road miles. Looking at this another way, 215/159*290Wh/mi=392Wh/mi. So you need to drive as if you would on flat ground to get 392Wh/mi.

Doable in an 85, but remember weather, wind and cold! An alternative that shaves off a mile of distance and gets you out of the worst of a windy day, is to take old Route 6 through Golden.

If anyone is cutting it close, the J1772's at Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs, are free, and powered by wind and solar. Besides, Beau Jo's has pretty good pizza!

Tire pressure is important especially in a tough leg like Cheyenne > Silverthorne. On a warm day (~50*F) when you would likely prefer to be out there with your tire gauge, 50 pounds pressure is what I'd recommend. Thus if you need to drive at minus 10*F for some reason, your tires would likely still be above the 44 pound minimum and you'd be spared getting out the compressor under those conditions! At around 20*F my tires have stabilized at 47.5 and 47, but I check them before every trip and enter on log sheet, having learned the hard way.
--

The transcontinental road-trippers overnighted in Silverthorne last night; they reported arriving at the SC with 35 Rated miles remaining after (presumably) a range charge in Cheyenne. They'd been warned to be careful on that leg. The weather last night was cold but not windy; I was out and about in Denver about the time they passed through, and saw 10°-15° F.

Heading cross country! | Forums | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
Yep, about 10Kwh left sounds like! And that means they likely hit the tunnel with about 7Kwh, regen on the coast down to Silverthorne. So much for a S60 going west... Eating spots with even a J1772 anywhere around Denver might be for the wise. It will be awesome to read the blogs about the Expeditioners and their trip.