Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SIM card failures for existing NZ owners....and my first ranger experience.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those NZ owners who imported their Model S's will need to get their SIM cards swapped out and replaced with Tesla SIM cards....which will save you having to pay for your own data.

Last week something happened where some privately owned SIM cards (from Spark) stopped working. Prior to Tesla opening in NZ we had to supply our own SIM cards. Spark are the official telco supplying Tesla NZ with SIMs. What ever they did last week resulted in a number of MS owners loosing data connection (3G).

I called Tesla NZ (which went to a call center in Norway?) and they arranged for the one and only NZ ranger to sort it out. When he arrived he knew immediately what the problem was and swapped out my SIM for a new Spark/Tesla SIM. He said that when Spark activated the Tesla contract existing SIMs stopped working. It's all working again now and I'm saving $50 a month by not having to pay for my own data....yay.

The ranger, a guy called Michael ex BMW lead technician, is currently the only ranger in NZ. They don't have a workshop yet but the ETA is July. He was really nice and professional. Explained what he was doing and updated the software while he was at it. He hooked up the Tesla diagnostic computer/software to a port behind the cubby under the screen and checked a few things.

One thing he wasn't able to fix was a WiFi issue where whenever I put the MS into reverse the WiFi dies. Probably a wiring issue as the WiFi antennae are in the wing mirrors. The ranger said he will need a workshop to sort this, which is no major problem.

So...overall I'm pretty impressed with Tesla NZ.

Cheers, Marty.

• Helpful
Reactions: mike_j