Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simple DIY Parcel Shelf Lift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is much more convenient to have the back of the parcel shelf/rear deck lift out of the way when reaching into the back of the trunk. I put together a few simple items to have a very adjustable solution that in no way permanently modified anything on the car. The shelf can also still be removed easily.

Required items:
  • Small black line (micro paracord)
  • 4x small plastic barrel cord locks (4 is not required, 2 or even 1 would do)
  • 2x small plastic buckles
  • 2x strips of velcro tape (or more) (at least the hook half)
  • 2x strips of heavy duty tape (duct/hvac tape works very well, electrical tape may also work)
Remove the shelf to install. The idea is that the line connects to each side of the rear hatch and passes under the hinged part of the shelf. The buckles make it removable and the cord locks are used to adjust it.
The line basically makes a big loop, passing through the buckles. Lock in the length by using two cord locks to connect the two ends. Two more cord locks can be added on either end of each buckle just to keep it in place but this is not necessary. For me, when the loop was laid across the bottom of the shelf, it extended several inches past on each side.
Use the velcro strips to keep both sides of the loop in place near the rear edge of the hinged shelf.
On the rear hatch mount a small loop of the line, going through the other half of the buckle. To keep it from slipping I hooked it on something for the tape to hold. I used a part of a nylon zip-tie, but anything should work (toothpick, wire, maybe just a big knot in the cord).
In my case, I found that where I attached on the rear hatch was probably too far forward. I will probably move this back an inch or two at some point.
These instructions are not very detailed, I know. I could provide specifics if anyone is interested.

I notice that EVAnnex also has a similar solution: Parcel Shelf Auto Lift for Tesla Model S
This looks about the same for pretty cheap ($25). Not sure how adjustable it is or if it requires anything to be permanently installed. Seems like a good option to avoid DIY'ing.

CameraZOOM-20170611163405258_small.jpg
CameraZOOM-20170611162131224_small.jpg
CameraZOOM-20170611162119476_small.jpg

@Zluz , if you like DYI add ons, here is a related one I added to both our Model S's (both white too) and fairly simple to do. DYI Trunk Lighting.

Nice job! When doing the shelf lift (and Onewheel sled) I was thinking that too: that the trunk could use more lighting especially where you added lights.
I did install several AbstractOcean interior lights which do increase the existing lighting but what it really needs it light from more directions.

The Evannex parcel shelf lift is the BEST accessory I've gotten for my S....

The only thing I've bought from EVAnnex is the sunshade (for over the sunroof and rear seats), which I LOVE. Surprisingly good quality, in my opinion.

On the topic of the parcel shelf, EVAnnex (or someone) should build an aftermarket shelf replacement. It could be rigid with it's own storage and lighting. If it has power anyway, it could have a small electronically cooled storage compartment accessible from the passenger compartment or the rear. Maybe large enough for a six-pack or doggie bag.

Hmmm, this is sounding pretty useful. if someone else doesn't build it and sell it maybe I'll just build a custom cooler shelf of my own.