Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simple Question...How do you turn on the rear seat vents????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah...there is a bit of a learning curve. I got mine in mid-July, but recently discovered that sliding the fingers left or right over the vent icon changes flow direction. As someone who is allergic to owners' manuals, I could be learning something new every day for years :eek:
Us guys don't like to ask for directions. I guess it applies to manuals, too. ;)

Yeah...there is a bit of a learning curve. I got mine in mid-July, but recently discovered that sliding the fingers left or right over the vent icon changes flow direction. As someone who is allergic to owners' manuals, I could be learning something new every day for years :eek:
If you bring your fingers together as if you are going to pinch the airflow and then spread your fingers this will split the air flow into two streams. This works for the driver's dashboard air vent and for the passenger's dashboard air vent. The split airflow will result in the flow rate/volume of air being halved for each part of the stream.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ArtK and pilotSteve
An ages old acronym in my world is RTFM.

I spend a lot of time trying to figure out transmitters and homebrew stuff people built and never documented. Lots of time I would give my front seat in Hell for a drawing or a manual, even though I get paid by the hour.

But I do detest stuff nowadays with those *&^&%@$%@!! cryptic icons. Either let me read how to so something or show me on a video. I learned to read years ago. Don't mind using that skill.

OK. It's boring. You have other things to do. So print a copy (little books have little print and I have old eyes). Leave the printed copy in the <ahem> Rest Facility you use the most. Read a few pages at a time while you are otherwise occupied.

There are a ton of YouTube demos for 'most everything you want to do, including how to operate a Tesla.

Try it... you might learn something.

Or just ask the question here and get a lecture from an old man.

Last edited:
Just like the title says, for the life of me I can not figure this out? How do you turn on the rear vents in the back seat?
TIA
Haha. This was the only thing that took me several minutes to figure out during my test drive of the Y back in August. I find the location of the button in the lower right hand corner non-intuitive...or a location one doesn’t tend to look since most buttons are on the opposite side.

Reactions: drdumont and ArtK
Page 126 of the manual.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.50.54 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476 and ArtK
The rear vents should come on automatically when someone is seated in the back. Mine are intermittent with this. Sometimes they turn on automatically sometimes they do not. I had the service center check it out and they said they were fine but they did agree that they should come on automatically when the seat senses a weight change representing occupancy.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
Wow! That's news to me as far as an early 2020 Model 3 goes! I routinely leave mine off, and on the few times I have had rear seat passengers, I have had to engage the rear vents manually. Anyone else have experience with this "automatic" feature?

It’s should be in your M3 too. My buddy has a 2018 and he confirmed his rear vents come on automatically when he sits in the back. Here’s a link to the Tesla forum about the same issue:

Does the Model 3's rear AC vent turn ON automatically?

• gmr6415Posted September 2019
    “Back last winter I noticed the rear AC turned on automatically when there was someone in the back seat. That seemed to not happen after some of the most recent updates.”

OK. I routinely run the HVAC in manual mode, Recirculate, and Rear Air off. No air in the rear unless I manually enable it. I'll shanghai someone from the household tomorrow to help test this out. Not earthshaking, but another little gem not fully documented by The Wizards of Fremont.
I guess I should change the acronym to RTFMBFWIA.
The last part is But Futz <ahem> with It Anyway.
Redneck's Famous Last Words - "Hold My Beer and Watch This"
Maintenance Engineer's Famous Last Words - "Wonder What Happens If I..."
I built a career out of the last one.

Second the comment regarding videos on YouTube. There are a ton of good ones, and some of the posters will do a video for a particular topic if you suggest it. And the manual isn't that hard to read either. I downloaded a copy and go to it occasionally when I am bored. Hoping to be up to speed on most things when I get my MY.