Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simple Video-Cam Mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wycolo

May 16, 2012
WA & WY
Video camera mounting on the headrests gives plenty of room for a few cameras and shows enough of the dash for context. But obviously the rear view mirror has to go. Split the clamshells apart to first release point using the smaller blade of a 2 blade serious screwdriver (you will need the torque). Then use the larger blade to fully separate. Then turn the mirror in either direction as far as it will go. Then turn further using max force and the 3 point mount will release as in a collision. Press release on wire connector and stuff wire up under roof liner. Now you have as full a camera view of the outdoors as you could hope for while allowing inclusion of driver or just part of the dash/sun visors. Bar is 36 inch steel 1-1/2 slot angle. Used two 12 ga self-tapping screws into the plastic seat back. Video is very steady and watchable even on this rutted dirt road. A few inches should be trimmed off this bar; 32 inches is all that were needed.
--

Model_camera_bar.jpg
model_S-mirror.jpg
model_S-video_capture.jpg

Wow. Just, wow. Is this for real?

?? Just shot a 336mb mp4, of a four mile tour of that road. Very steady & watchable. Nothing else need be done for now. Used my everyday Sanyo CG6 Xacti. Just pulled an iPod Touch 5.0 out of the box, but I'll have to figure it out. Got an iPhone 4/4S mount that fits it perfectly, just had to cut off an end tab. The iPod is 32 gb so it could hold a good bit of video.

Will not miss the mirror at all; more of a nuisance than anything else. Keep headlights out of eyes. An hour's work, boom, now you are shooting video in the S. The vid frame is a entire frame with just about the right amount of zoom. And of course the bar can be removed in 20 seconds.
--

Somewhat unorthodox, but I have to ask, what's is electrical in the mirror that you are losing? GPS Antenna? RF receiver for something? I would just be concerned about what you lost when you removed the mirror. I'm not sure I like putting a screw hole in the plastic seatback either.

GPS antenna - no have got. Non-tech car.
RF receiver - it would actually please me to kill the radio since it is always ON and I never use it.
Will go driving tonight to see if possibly the dash lights now have to be manually toned down from daylight levels. I have headlights ON at all times.

Just drove at dusk. The dash dimming is unaffected, likewise headlights. Those 4 or 5 conductors are just typical low voltage, no RF, so no idea what they might be for. A pleasure w/o that mirror in the way! Always hitting my head. Will be easier to wash windshield too. Might install a center visor. So used to pulling tall trailers I look first to the side mirrors anyway.
--

:smile:

Last edited: