Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simplified Roadster Lift Adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited 3 different shops this week to find out what size pin they require for their lifts so I could make the bottom diameter the right size. I discovered I would need a different size lift adapter for each shop. Not only were the bottom pin sizes different, but one shop where I had my most recent alignment would require a different height. It appears I would need adapters for my lift adapters lol.

Funny that you mentioned that, I actually did make adapters to my lift adapters for another lift :)
Capture.PNG

Are folks still looking for these? I think I can make an adapter that will work for all 3 sizes, will require a second cone that comes from the bottom side AND I can make them with a steel pin to locate the car on the top side. The body will be aluminum, with current material prices they will be $250 a pair if we are doing 5 pair. If we can do 10 pair, price will drop to $200/pair. I would use 2" bar for the body of the parts...

Let me know if there is interest.
Dave

I visited 3 different shops this week to find out what size pin they require for their lifts so I could make the bottom diameter the right size. I discovered I would need a different size lift adapter for each shop. Not only were the bottom pin sizes different, but one shop where I had my most recent alignment would require a different height. It appears I would need adapters for my lift adapters lol.
Henry,
Do you have dimensions for the 3 different lift sizes?

Plan is to use a hardened steel 10mm pin in the top, pressed into the aluminum body. The bottom will be machined to size to fit your lift, current drawing indicates a 1.350" pin diameter, 1.693" long. The other option would be to make the bottom pin to the smallest diameter, drill and thread with a 3/4", make a cone that fits on the bolt head so this will center on the larger lift arm hole. One would need to tighten these on the lift when they are installed but this could be a 'universal' part that could fit on a number of size holes. In looking at this option it will add $50 a set.

I can make:
single size lift adapter with steel pins $250 pair

Multi size lift adapters with steel pins and centering 3/4" bolts $300 pair

Send me an email([email protected]) if you folks want to get going and I can have parts ready to ship the end of February.
Dave

Henry,
Do you have dimensions for the 3 different lift sizes?
It was almost 2 years ago. I can't remember. There was also a problem with the lift fitting under the adapter. Different lifts required different length adapters. I have my own metal lathe and milling machine (non-CNC, not for production) and I gave up making a pair for myself when I discovered I'd need a different size for each garage I went to. If I had my own lift or only one garage I ever used, you can bet I would have made some.

I like your idea of the cone-shaped screw to go in the bottom. That might solve the whole problem of different size bottom pins and would also allow more lifts to fit under the car/adapter. You might be able to eliminate the bottom pin entirely. You should also check out Tesla's design (no longer sold). They had a method of holding the adapter up in the frame so you could easily swing the lift arms under, then drop the bottom pin into the lift arm without the top guide pin coming out. Without that design you have to hold the lift adapter in place with one hand (it's not light) while you swing the arm and hope there's enough room to drop it in, and then hold it again while lifting to make sure the guide pin on top is in the right place.

The garage where I buy my tires doesn't even have a lift with arms that will fit under the Roadster, adapter or no adapter. They remind me every time I come in "It fits under the new Corvette" while I remind them that my car is quicker than most Corvettes.;)

If you can refine the cone-screw idea then I think this project will have a lot of merit.

Hi Dave and others,

Please help me. I have not looked around under the car. Although I did remove the front right tire a month ago
to replace the darned 12 volt motorcycle battery.
Are there holes under the car to receive the 10 mm pin?
Do you need a pair of these to lift the car? Or four of them? One on each corner...?

Thank you, Shawn

Hi Dave and others,

Please help me. I have not looked around under the car. Although I did remove the front right tire a month ago
to replace the darned 12 volt motorcycle battery.
Are there holes under the car to receive the 10 mm pin?
Do you need a pair of these to lift the car? Or four of them? One on each corner...?

Thank you, Shawn
There are 2 holes in the rear frame to receive these pins. You need a pair of these for a standard lift.

Made a slight mod and these will work on any lift with holes from 1.350-1.500". Are solid mounted and I'm ready make them, e-mail if you want to get a set. Adjustable size ones will be $350 a pair if I can get 5 set sold, I have 2 pair committed at this time. One set of fixed 1.350" pins are made and can be bought now for $250, e-mail me if you want them they can ship out. '[email protected]'

Roadster lift pin adjustable side.JPG
Roadster lift pin adjustable underside.JPG

I made a total of 8 set of adjustable lift pins finished and ready to ship...$370 shipping in US One set of fixed lift pins, 1.350" diameter...$270 shipped in US. Email if you want a set, '[email protected]'

If you have pre-paid they will be shipped today!

I will post these on eBay if there are any left at a higher price to cover fees so grab them now if you want a set.

Thanks for the support
Dave

Reactions: bpangburn